If you feel like life is meaningless, these feeling empty quotes will help you gain a new mindset.
Emptiness is something that all of us have to experience in our lives.
When we feel empty, we ask ourselves about our purpose and how to make sense of everything.
To make it worse, this feeling is usually accompanied by other emotions such as loneliness, confusion, and lack of motivation.
Feeling empty is awful because we usually don’t know where it comes from. Out of nowhere, we will feel an inexplicable void that will make us feel alone.
So, we’ve created this collection for everyone who requires comfort.
And don’t forget to check out these suffering quotes and feeling down quotes.
Best Quotes to Read When You’re Feeling Empty
1. “It’s not the feeling of completeness I need, but the feeling of not being empty.” – Jonathan Safran Foer
2. “Become totally empty. Quiet the restlessness of the mind. Only then will you witness everything unfolding from emptiness.” – Lao Tzu
3. “Moments of suffering are meant to empty us so that we may have the potential to tap into our truest depths.” – Kamand Kojouri
4. “Youth always tries to fill the void, an old man learns to live with it.” – Mark Z. Danielewski
5. “You are not feeling empty because you don’t have much money. You are feeling empty because you have not yet encountered your real self, you have not come to your authentic individuality.” – Rajneesh
6. “The more space and emptiness you can create in yourself, then you can let the rest of the world come in and fill you up.” – Jeff Bridges
7. “There is no such thing as an empty space or an empty time. There is always something to see, something to hear. In fact, try as we may to make a silence, we cannot.” – John Cage
8. “Emptiness is not a great loss. It creates a great opportunity to fill yourself again and again with great love.” – Debasish Mridha
9. “The greatest tragedies in life is not untimely death, but to live a life for emptiness.” – Topsy Gift
Relatable Quotes for Everyone Who’s Feeling Empty
10. “I felt myself being invaded through and through, I crumbled, disintegrated, and only emptiness remained.” – Stanislaw Lem
11. “I said nothing for a time, just ran my fingertips along the edge of the human-shaped emptiness that had been left inside me.” – Haruki Murakami
12. “For a long time now, my heart has had its shutters closed, its steps deserted, formerly a tumultuous hotel, but now empty and echoing like a great empty tomb.” – Gustave Flaubert
13. “This was the truth at the core of my existence—this yawning emptiness, scantily clad in rage.” – Hillary Jordan
14. “I can’t describe what I’m feeling. I’m not happy, and I know that. But I’m also not exactly sad either. I’m just caught right in between all these emotions and I feel so empty.” – Anonymous
15. “That feeling when you are not necessarily sad, but you feel really empty.” – Anonymous
Feeling Empty Quotes That Will Have Your Mind Reeling
16. “I wanted to write down exactly what I felt but somehow the paper stays empty and I could not have described it any better.” – Anonymous
17. “How can emptiness be so heavy?” – Anonymous
18. “I am empty of everything. I am empty of everything but the thin, frail ghosts in my room.” – Jean Rhys
19. “Why does the feeling of emptiness occupy so much space?” – James de la Vega
20. “The void inside me starts to fill, but my heart has holes, and whatever it holds will run out, leaving me empty once again.” – Danielle Esplin
21. “I swear, I end up feeling empty like you’ve taken something out of me and I have to search my body for scars.” – Richard Siken
22. “There’s just something obvious about emptiness, even when you try to convince yourself otherwise.” – Sarah Dessen
23. “There are so many empty people walking around on this little planet. Lonely people. Angry people. Bitter. Forgotten.” – Jeyn Roberts
24. “I felt very still and empty, the way the eye of a tornado must feel, moving dully along in the middle of the surrounding hullabaloo.” – Sylvia Plath
Also read: Sad Quotes, Frustration Quotes
Great Quotes That’ll Give You a Wider Perspective When You’re Feeling Empty
25. “Emptiness which is conceptually liable to be mistaken for sheer nothingness is in fact the reservoir of infinite possibilities.” – Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki
26. “There’s a big difference, I discovered, between wanting to die and not wanting to live. When you want to die, you at least have a goal. When you don’t want to live, you’re really just empty.” – Brian Hugh Warner
27. “Sometimes you can only feel something by its absence—by the empty spaces it leaves behind.” – Gayle Forman
28. “Life is empty and meaningless because life is empty and meaningless.” – Werner Erhard
29. “The victorious ones have said that emptiness is the relinquishing of all views. For whomever emptiness is a view, that one has achieved nothing.” – Nāgārjuna
30. “Illusion is needed to disguise the emptiness within.” – Arthur Erickson
31. “To fake it is to stand guard over emptiness.” – Arthur Herzog
32. “Pain can be vitalising—it gives intensity in the space of vagueness and emptiness.” – Sebastian Horsley
33. “We become aware of the void as we fill it.” – Antonio Porchia
34. “They say you don’t get over someone until you find someone or something better. As humans, we don’t deal well with emptiness. Any empty space must be filled. Immediately. The pain of emptiness is too strong. It compels the victim to fill that place. A single moment with that empty spot causes excruciating pain. That’s why we run from distraction to distraction and from attachment to attachment.” – Yasmin Mogahed
35. “If emptiness is endless, then everything rests in emptiness.” – Dejan Stojanovic
36. “But to me, nothing, the negative, the empty, is exceedingly powerful.” – Alan Watts
37. “If emptiness is empty, how can something be born or awaken from it?” – Dejan Stojanovic
38. “You see, some people are born with a piece of night inside, and that hollow place can never be filled—not with all the good food or sunshine in the world. That emptiness cannot be banished, and so some days we wake with the feeling of the wind blowing through, and we must simply endure it as the boy did.” – Leigh Bardugo
Quotes to Absorb When You’re Feeling Empty Because of Love
39. “The beginning of love is a horror of emptiness.” – Robert Bly
40. “In all our searching, the only thing we’ve found that makes the emptiness bearable is each other.” – Carl Sagan
41. “If giving leaves you feeling empty, you’re giving too much to the wrong person.” – Maza Dohta
42. “I have poured my heart out. And now I am empty.” – Ranata Suzuki
43. “Every day we used to slip away to talk. We would talk about the goodness of your heart. Now it seems I admit that never exist at all and it leaves me feeling empty with this hollow chord.” – Regina Belle
44. “Life is an empty bottle filled with love.” – Santosh Kalwar
Feeling Empty Quotes to Understand the True Meaning of Contentment
45. “Once conform, once do what other people do because they do it, and a lethargy steals over all the finer nerves and faculties of the soul. She becomes all outer show and inward emptiness—dull, callous, and indifferent.” – Virginia Woolf
46. “A busy life is filled with tremendous emptiness.” – Debasish Mridha
47. “The funny thing about having all this so-called success is that behind it is a certain horrible emptiness.” – Sam Shepard
48. “We find worth in jobs, money, and performance so we can hide how worthless we feel inside. Acknowledge the pain to be healed.” – LeCrae
Quotes About Feeling Empty to Strengthen Your Relationship With God
49. “When you’re full of yourself, God can’t fill you. But when you empty yourself, God has a useful vessel.” – Max Lucado
50. “When I feel truly alone, with a sense of being lost, even empty inside, it is then I realize I have unknowingly moved away from God, so I move back.” – David L. Weatherford
51. “The inner emptiness is the door to God.” – Swami Dhyan Giten
52. “I decided I would fill the emptiness in me with God and with paint.” – Kimberly Novosel
53. “You keep running after the love of the people, but you’ll never get it. And what you do get, will never be enough. The hole inside you is too big. You see, it was made by God, for God. How could anything less fill it?” – Yasmin Mogahed
More Feeling Empty Quotes That Will Speak to Your Soul
54. “You can’t cry when you’re already empty.” – Anonymous
55. “She tries to smile to feel happy. But, she feels so empty.” – Anonymous
56. “She was tired, with that tiredness that only emptiness brings.” – Paolo Giordano
57. “The artist’s job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.” – Woody Allen
58. “This will be a winter so desolate, only memory can fill the emptiness.” – John Geddes
59. “Nothingness not being nothing, nothingness being emptiness.” – Isabelle Adjani
60. “‘How do you get so empty?’ he wondered. ‘Who takes it out of you?’” – Ray Bradbury
Did These Quotes Inspire You to Fill the Void Within You?
Feeling empty is valid, especially in this world we live in. After all, we’ve been constantly pressured in this society to succeed in specific limited ways.
Because of this pressure, we tend to shift our focus from one thing to another. In the long run, this habit compromises our sense of fulfillment.
We usually feel empty when we start losing touch with our passion or have unresolved painful experiences in the past. It might also be because we lack significant relationships and experience burnout. Varying degrees of emotional numbness may arise from these situations.
For some, feelings of emptiness are only brief and quickly resolved. For others, it’s chronic, significantly affecting their lives. Nonetheless, always remember that there will always be an opportunity to go beyond this dark headspace.
Just because we feel like the world is meaningless now doesn’t mean it will always be that way. We have the power to control our lives. This is not easy, but one way to struggle against feeling empty is by acknowledging that you are not alone.
With that, we hope this collection was able to remind you that many people are feeling the same as you. May this knowledge inspire you to struggle alongside those who, like you, are also trying to navigate life. Just continue, and at the right moment, things will turn out the way they should!