We’ve compiled a list of some of our favorite writing quotes to help you discover yourself through the use of pen, paper, and imagination!
Writing is an important skill to cultivate and hone. It lets you put your feelings and thoughts into words and share them with other people as well! On the technical side of things, you’ll also enhance your vocabulary and learn more about different writing styles by practicing this skill.
So, if you’re looking for a sign to pursue your love and passion for writing, you’ve come to the right place.
Be inspired and draft up your next masterpiece after reading the quotes below!
Best Writing Quotes
1. “Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.” – Benjamin Franklin
2. “If you don’t have time to read, you don’t have the time—or the tools—to write. Simple as that.” – Stephen King
3. “Good writing is remembering details. Most people want to forget. Don’t forget things that were painful or embarrassing or silly. Turn them into a story that tells the truth.” – Paula Danziger
4. “It’s none of their business that you have to learn how to write. Let them think you were born that way.” – Ernest Hemingway
5. “You should write because you love the shape of stories and sentences and the creation of different words on a page. Writing comes from reading, and reading is the finest teacher of how to write.” – Annie Proulx
6. “Write what disturbs you, what you fear, what you have not been willing to speak about. Be willing to be split open.” – Natalie Goldberg
7. “Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.” – Louis L’Amour
8. “The secret of good writing is telling the truth.” – Gordon Lish
9. “Almost all good writing begins with terrible first efforts. You need to start somewhere.” – Anne Lamott
10. “All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.” – Ernest Hemingway
Famous Writing Quotes
11. “There is no rule on how to write. Sometimes it comes easily and perfectly: sometimes it’s like drilling rock and then blasting it out with charges.” – Ernest Hemingway
12. “Forget all the rules. Forget about being published. Write for yourself and celebrate writing.” – Melinda Haynes
13. “Writing, like life itself, is a voyage of discovery.” – Henry Miller
14. “Writing is the painting of the voice.” – Voltaire
15. “I can shake off everything as I write; my sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn.” – Anne Frank
16. “Never write anything that does not give you great pleasure. Emotion is easily transferred from the writer to the reader.” – Joseph Joubert
17. “Writing is meant to move the heart, the mind, the soul—not the page-view meter.” – Maria Popova
18. “I write to give myself strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore all the things I’m afraid of.” – Joss Whedon
19. “Write down the thoughts of the moment. Those that come unsought for are commonly the most valuable.” – Francis Bacon
20. “I must write it all out, at any cost. Writing is thinking. It is more than living, for it is being conscious of living.” – Anne Morrow Lindbergh
21. “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at the typewriter and bleed.” – Ernest Hemingway
Inspirational Quotes About Writing
22. “Find out the reason that commands you to write; see whether it has spread its roots into the very depth of your heart; confess to yourself you would have to die if you were forbidden to write.” – Rainer Maria Rilke
23. “You have to follow your own voice. You have to be yourself when you write. In effect, you have to announce, ‘This is me, this is what I stand for, this is what you get when you read me. I’m doing the best I can—buy me or not—but this is who I am as a writer.’” – David Morrell
24. “If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot.” – Stephen King
25. “Your writing voice is the deepest possible reflection of who you are. The job of your voice is not to seduce or flatter or make well-shaped sentences. In your voice, your readers should be able to hear the contents of your mind, your heart, your soul.” – Meg Rosoff
26. “The secret to being a writer is that you have to write. It’s not enough to think about writing to study literature or plan a future life as an author. You really have to lock yourself away, alone, and get to work.” – Augusten Burroughs
27. “Write your first draft with your heart. Rewrite with your head.” – Mike Rich
28. “I tell writers to keep reading, reading, reading. Read widely and deeply. And I tell them not to give up even after getting rejection letters. And only write what you love.” – Anita Diamant
29. “Whenever I’m asked what advice I have for young writers, I always say that the first thing is to read, and to read a lot. The second thing is to write. And the third thing, which I think is absolutely vital, is to tell stories and listen closely to the stories you’re being told.” – John Green
30. “A good writer possesses not only his own spirit but also the spirit of his friends.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
Great Writing Quotes for People Who Love to Write
31. “Indeed, learning to write may be part of learning to read. For all I know, writing comes out of a superior devotion to reading.” – Eudora Welty
32. “It is only by writing, not dreaming about it, that we develop our own style.” – P.D. James
33. “Write what should not be forgotten.” – Isabel Allende
34. “If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
35. “Don’t write so that you can be understood, write so that you can’t be misunderstood.” – William Howard Taft
36. “Write with conviction. Pick a side and be bold. And if you’re wrong, admit it.” – Jeff Goins
37. “If I had to give young writers advice, I would say don’t listen to writers talking about writing or themselves.” – Lillian Hellman
38. “You can make anything by writing.” – C.S. Lewis
39. “A writer is someone for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people.” – Thomas Mann
40. “Anyone who says writing is easy isn’t doing it right.” – Amy Joy
41. “There is no perfect time to write. There’s only now.” – Barbara Kingsolver
Writing Quotes That Show What It’s Like to Be a Writer
42. “As a writer, you should not judge, you should understand.” – Ernest Hemingway
43. “You can only write regularly if you’re willing to write badly. Accept bad writing as a way of priming the pump, a warm-up exercise that allows you to write well.” – Jennifer Egan
44. “It is perfectly okay to write garbage—as long as you edit brilliantly.” – C. J. Cherryh
Thought-Provoking Writing Quotes to Unleash Your Inner Writer
45. “Writing is really a way of thinking—not just feeling but thinking about things that are disparate, unresolved, mysterious, problematic or just sweet.” – Toni Morrison
46. “My first feeling was that there was no way to continue. Writing isn’t like math; in math, two plus two always equals four no matter what your mood is like. With writing, the way you feel changes everything.” – Stephenie Meyer
47. “Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don’t feel I should be doing something else.” – Gloria Steinem
48. “The main rule of writing is that if you do it with enough assurance and confidence, you’re allowed to do whatever you like.” – Neil Gaiman
49. “The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write. A man will turn over half a library to make a book.” – Samuel Johnson
50. “And what, you ask, does writing teach us? First and foremost, it reminds us that we are alive and that it is a gift and a privilege, not a right.” – Ray Bradbury
More Writing Quotes That Will Pique Your Interest
51. “The most difficult and complicated part of the writing process is the beginning.” – A. B. Yehoshua
52. “Most writers draw a blank when they first start with writing prompts. Keep pushing through, because something thrilling will start to happen.” – Mel Wicks
53. “I think all writing is a disease. You can’t stop it.” – William Carlos Williams
54. “Writing is an extreme privilege but it’s also a gift. It’s a gift to yourself and it’s a gift of giving a story to someone.” – Amy Tan
55. “Writing is a journey of discovery because until you start, you never know what will happen, and you can be surprised by what you do—expect the unexpected!” – Mini Grey
56. “The only end of writing is to enable readers to enjoy life or to endure it.” – Samuel Johnson
57. “The answer to all writing, to any career for that matter, is love.” – Ray Bradbury
58. “I am not at all in a humor for writing; I must write on until I am.” – Jane Austen
59. “A writer never has a vacation. For a writer life consists of either writing or thinking about writing.” – Eugene Ionesco
60. “You don’t write because you want to say something, you write because you have something to say.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
Did These Quotes Inspire You to Pursue Your Passion for Writing?
There are people who are very vocal and comfortable with expressing their feelings out loud. But, some people prefer to express themselves and their opinions in writing rather than speaking. Sometimes, all they need are pens and sheets of paper to fully express their thoughts.
Though writing is a skill needed in the workplace, it’s much more than that. It’s a life skill that assesses your learning, values, and ideas. Everyone, regardless of profession, must be able to write to effectively communicate with others.
But, no matter how enthusiastic you are about it, writing can be a difficult task. That is why it is vital to enhance it through reading and practice. Who knows, maybe if you write more, everything will soon come to you naturally!
So, broaden your horizon by reading more and practicing your writing. Let these quotes serve as your guide and inspiration to let your imagination fly!
Which quotes were most relevant to you? Drop them down in the comments section below.