Here are the top 70 zebra quotes that will tell you more about this black and white animal.
Living in the treeless green lands of Africa, these creatures are more than just your average horse relative.
Found in the wild, you’ll never mistake a zebra for a different animal.
Their fur, though generalized as black and white, are actually varying shades of brown, white, gray, and black. There’s still so much more to learn from zebras.
Start reading the full list here.
And make sure to check out these animal quotes.
Best Zebra Quotes
1. “There’s no limit to how much you’ll know, depending how far beyond zebra you go.” – Dr. Seuss
2. “When you hear hoof beats, think of horses, not zebras.” – Chloe Benjamin
3. “I asked the Zebra, ‘Are you black with white stripes? Or white with black stripes?’ And the zebra asked me, ‘Are you good with bad habits? Or are you bad with good habits?’” – Shel Silverstein
4. “I try to compensate for my lack of long-distance endurance by having good form. I’m told that my running style is quite majestic. That’s probably because I learned to run by watching nature films in which leopards chased frightened zebras.” – Scott Adams
5. “Everytime I look at a zebra, I can’t figure out whether it’s black with white stripes or white with black stripes, and that frustrates me.” – Jodi Picoult
6. “If black and white are too different and separate calories, zebras wouldn’t have both.” – Mohamed Nur Hashi
7. “Butterflies, and zebras, and moonbeams, and fairy tales—that’s all she ever thinks about riding with the wind.” – Jimi Hendrix
8. “Terrorists are like zebras; those having more white stripes than black are good terrorists, those with more black stripes than white are bad ones.” – Shahid Hussein Raja
9. “How fast does a zebra have to run before it looks gray.” – Demetri Martin
Zebra Quotes From Well-Known Personalities
10. “We’d just released a zebra in Las Vegas.” – Rick Riordan
11. “I could sit and watch nature documentaries with Jenks and the kids the rest of the night if I wanted. And trust me, watching a dozen pixies scream as a crocodile chomped on a zebra was something not to be missed. They invariably cheered for the crocodile, not the zebra.” – Kim Harrison
12. “I stand in the center aisle of the auditorium, a wounded zebra in a National Geographic special, looking for someone, anyone to sit next to. A predator approaches: gray jock buzz cut, whistle around a neck thicker than his head. Probably a social studies teacher, hired to coach a blood sport.” – Laurie Halse Anderson
13. “I’ve eaten sheep’s eyes, the still hot meat from a zebra killed by a lion, and maggots which give you 70 calories to the ounce.” – Bear Grylls
14. “I love a wild animal print. Not just a leopard print—I’m talking about a tiger or zebra print, too.” – Tan France
Also read: Sheep Quotes
Wise and Meaningful Zebra Quotes
15. “A zebra does not change its spots.” – Al Gore
16. “I suddenly realized. The zebra—it is not something outside of us. The zebra is something inside of us. Our fears. Our own self-destructive nature. The zebra is the worst part of us when we are face-to-face with our worst times. The demon is us!” – Garth Stein
17. “I turned around, stepped over the Zebra, and threw myself overboard.” – Yann Martel
18. “I’m not fighting with myself. Oh, my God. That’s how I am. You know the story of the hippo? The hippo comes to the monkey and said, ‘Listen, I’m not a hippo.’ So, he painted himself like a zebra. He said, ‘But he’s still a hippo.’” – Marat Safin
19. “Most of us are animal lovers. We insist that we love all animals equally—the hamster, the weasel, and the zebra—but if pressed, we will admit to being either a cat person or a dog person.” – Nicole Hollander
20. “There is more difference between a zebra and a horse, or between a dolphin and a porpoise, than there is between you and the furry creatures your distant ancestors left behind when they set out to take over the world.” – Bill Bryson
21. “One wants to move through life with elegance and grace, blossoming infrequently, but with exquisite taste, and perfect timing, like a rare bloom, a zebra orchid. One wants, but one so seldom gets what one wants, does one?” – Tony Kushner
22. “Zebras don’t change their stripes, and war criminals don’t repent.” – Jodi Picoult
23. “My scars were reflecting the mist in your headlights. I looked like a neon zebra, shaking rain off her stripes.” – Fiona Apple
24. “Has it ever struck you as odd that humans are the only creatures on the planet who wear clothes? Everything else, from aardvarks to zebras, is running around in its birthday suit, blissfully unclear of the concept of underpants. Why don’t people do the same?” – Linda Bender
Zebra Quotes About the Wild
25. “I can give or take elephants; I never can find the cheetah, but the zebras captivate me. They’d be one of the few things that would fit if we were lucky enough to live in a world that’s black or white.” – Jodi Picoult
26. “When you see a lion tearing apart a zebra, what sort of divine order do you see there? What we see there is nothing but savagery, injustice, and chaos. In short, we see a primitive disorder, we see an evolutionary cruelty and a primitive disturbance deprived of any kind of ethics!” – Mehmet Murat ildan
27. “And the emu, not standing up to the cassowary, accompanied the cassowary on their continued journey of the safari, never to return because a zebra herd trapped them back into pre-color television times indefinitely.” – J.S. Maison
28. “The zebra is striped all over so that the lion can see him and eat him. Some people say he is striped so that the lion can not see him. These people believe that the stripes of the zebra simulate the bars of sunlight falling through the tall jungle grasses and that therefore the zebra is invisible and that the earth is flat.” – Will Cuppy
29. “Zebras were a rare legendary creature that had finally been decided to be mythical. Then there’s a certain sort of person who would ignore dragons, who would never bother to look at dragons, and chase after rumors of zebras. The grass is always greener on the other side of reality. Which is rather setting ourselves up for eternal disappointment, eh? If we cannot take joy in the merely real, our lives shall be empty indeed.” – Eliezer Yudkowsky
30. “Scientists think they can now clone an all-white zebra. Now, I’m no expert, but isn’t that a horse?” – Jay Leno
31. “I very much like Kenya. It’s hard to beat the Masai Mara and the idea of ballooning across it. I had a great time at Lewa. There’s more rhinos than you’ll find anywhere. A great part for the children is you can ride horses with the giraffes and the zebra.” – Mark Burnett
32. “Elephants, it turns out, are surprisingly stealthy. As the sunlight fades, other species declare their presence. Throngs of zebras and wildebeests thunder by in the distance, trailing dust clouds. Cape buffalo snort and raise their horns and position themselves in front of their young. Giraffes stare over treetops, their huge brown eyes blinking, then lope away in seeming slow motion. But no elephants.” – Thomas French
33. “For example, the main reason zebras never got domesticated is that they’re ultra-high-fear. Zebras may bite people and not let go. They injure more people in zoos than the tigers do.” – Temple Grandin
34. “Prey animals such as zebras and antelope have eyes at the sides of their heads, but a predator’s eyes face forward. Always show the cat your face. Let her see where your eyes are, and she’ll know you’re a predator, too. She’ll think twice before attacking.” – Tess Gerritsen
Beautiful Zebra Quotes
35. “God must’ve had a blast painting the stripes on the zebra, hanging the stars in the sky, putting the gold in the sunset. What creativity!” – Max Lucado
36. “Behold the zebra on the plains, and shudder at his mighty manes!” – Ogden Nash
37. “I’m saying let’s go see if we can find some horses or zebras before we start a unicorn hunt.” – James S.A. Corey
38. “Somewhere, the zebra is dancing.” – Garth Stein
39. “Anything was possible. When you hear hooves, you look for horses, but you can’t discount zebras.” – Paula Hawkins
40. “Though she be but little, she is fierce!” – William Shakespeare
41. “But trust me when I tell you that the zebra is real.” – Garth Stein
42. “In my experience, nobody gets to lead a totally charmed existence. Nobody escapes the pitfalls of being a human being. It’s what separates us from the zebras. Or that’s my theory anyway.” – Sarah Kate-Lynch
43. “Zebra babies can flat-out run within an hour of being born, because if they can’t, they’re dead. We were like zebras, so poor we didn’t know how poor we were, and tough and independent because there wasn’t any other way to be.” – Willie Parker
44. “But now that I know it’s possible for a couple of zebras to outsmart a crocodile, life is starting to look up.” – Sarah Weeks
Funny Zebra Quotes
45. “I secretly want to be a zebra. That is why I always wear stripes.” – Louis Tomlinson
46. “I finally got around to reading the dictionary. Turns out the zebra did it.” – Steven Wright
47. “Pulling off a zebra-print dress can be challenging for some.” – Iman Abdulmajid
48. “They looked like highly varnished animated toys.” – Elspeth Huxley
49. “Give me a black man, a white woman, a giraffe, a zebra—anything but another white man! That last one fucked up my roof!” – Chris Rock
50. “Zebras dream of polka dots.” – Phil Caruso
51. “I played soccer, and I was the kid who ran the wrong way, or I was pretending to be some sort of zebra and I would flail my arms and kick up my legs.” – Johnny Weir
52. “It’s a wonder you don’t see the zebra being trotted out as a metaphor for racial harmony more often.” – Dov Davidoff
53. “A Polish man bought a zebra for a pet. What does he call the zebra? Spot!” – Henny Youngman
54. “I never met a stripe I didn’t like.” – Edgardo Osorio
Zebra Quotes You Can Use as Captions for Your Posts
55. “If you’re a zebra, I’m a zebra.” – Anonymous
56. “If a girl likes zebra print, she knows how to live life to the fullest.” – Anonymous
57. “When you shoot a zebra in the black stripe, the white dies too.” – South African Proverb
58. “There is so much more in between the black and white.” – Anonymous
59. “The first drink makes you a frisky gazelle, the second an impetuous zebra, the third a roaring lion, and with the fourth you become a silly donkey.” – Anonymous
60. “Black and white can transform a scene into something magical.” – Rob Sheppard
61. “Take a walk on the wild side.” – Anonymous
62. “Pink stands for the power of women, and zebras are unique in their stripes.” – Anonymous
63. “Black and white creates a strange dreamscape that color never can.” – Anonymous
64. “Like a human being’s fingerprints, no two sets of zebra stripes are exactly alike.” – Anonymous
More Zebra Quotes You’ll Find Interesting
65. “Humans were the only creatures in the world that ate their food cooked. You’d never find a Gorilla frying up some bananas for dinner or a lion charcoal-broiling a zebra steak. Cats don’t often run to the oven with a mouse or bird they’ve captured, and a dog wouldn’t naturally prepare its rabbit dinner in a stew.” – Dick Gregory
66. “There is a famous Russian cartoon in which a hippopotamus, in the bush, points out a zebra to another hippopotamus. ‘You see,’ he says, ‘Now that’s formalism.’” – Alain Robbe-Grillet
67. “In the world of animation, you can be anything you wanna be. If you’re a fat woman, you can play a skinny princess. If you’re a short wimpy guy, you can play a tall gladiator. If you’re a white man, you can play an Arabian prince. And if you’re a black man, you can play a donkey or a zebra.” – Chris Rock
68. “I almost choke on my popcorn when I hear film stars, who walk on red carpets as much as the rest of us do on zebra crossings, criticising youngsters who crave fame.” – Julie Burchill
69. “Maybe our best family trip started at Victoria Falls, which drenches you with spray and is so vast that it makes Niagara Falls seem like a backyard creek. Then we rented a car and made our way to Hwange National Park, which was empty of people but crowded with zebras, giraffes, elephants and more.” – Nicholas Kristof
70. “Leo’s pride rarely leaves the plains. What are they supposed to mate? The zebras?” – Lora Leigh
Do You See How Zebras Are Symbols of Community, Freedom, and Most Importantly, Individuality and Uniqueness?
Zebras teach us a lot of things about life and how to get along with others. Being symbols of community, they find strength in numbers. They roam the grasslands in herds, sticking together to win against their predators.
They symbolize freedom because they run freely in the wild, and in their many years on the planet, they’ve never allowed themselves to be tamed. Lastly, they’re equated to individuality and uniqueness because of their one-of-a-kind stripes.
They’re so different from the animals around them, but that doesn’t bring them down. Zebras teach us to embrace our individual differences and to accept ourselves and our quirks wholeheartedly.
Are they also one of your favorite animals? What other lessons did you get from this collection? Which animal would you like us to make a collection on next? List them down below.