Looking for popular and famous Rumi quotes or sayings? You’ve come to the right place. We’ve compiled a huge list of the best Rumi quotes and poems on love, life, happiness, death.
Rumi Quotes About Love
1. “Love is an emerald.
Its brilliant light wards off dragons
On this treacherous path.”
2. “You cannot hide love
Love will get on its way
To the heart of someone you love
Far or near, it goes home
To where it belongs
To the heart of lovers.”
3. “A life without love is of no account. Don’t ask yourself what kind of love you should seek, spiritual or material, divine or mundane, Eastern or Western. Divisions only lead to more divisions. Love has no labels, no definitions. It is what it is, pure and simple. Love is the water of life. And a lover is a soul of fire! The universe turns differently when fire loves water.”
4. “Love is the house of God and you are living in that house.”
5. “This is love: to fly toward a secret, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet.”
6. “Whenever we manage to love without expectations,
calculations, negotiations, we are indeed in heaven.”
7. “When I am with you, everything is prayer.”
8. “You will learn by reading,
But you will understand with LOVE.”
9. “In your light I learn how to love. In your beauty, how to make poems. You dance inside my chest, where no one sees you, but sometimes I do, and that light becomes this art.”
10. “Love flows down. The ground submits to the sky and suffers what comes. Is the ground worse for giving in like that? Do not put blankets over the drum. Open completely. Let your spirit ear listen to the green dome’s passionate murmur.”
11. “Whenever we can manage to love without expectations, calculations, negotiations, we are indeed in heaven.”
12. “I’m in love!
Your advice, what are they?
Love has poisoned me!
Your remedies, what are they?
I hear them shout: “fast, Bind him feet!”
But if my heart that has gone mad!
Those strings on my feet
What is the point?”
13. “The heart is cooking a pot of food for you. Be patient until it is cooked.”
14. “Love is not an emotion, it’s your very existence.”
15. “The way you make love is the way God will be with you.”
16. “Love is the cure,
for your pain will keep giving birth to more pain
until your eyes constantly exhale love as effortlessly as your body yields its scent.”
17. “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”
18. “The heart has its own language. The heart knows a hundred thousand ways to speak.”
19. “The minute I heard my first love story,
I started looking for you, not knowing
how blind that was.
Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere.
They’re in each other all along.”
20. “Love rests on no foundation. It is an endless ocean, with no beginning or end.”
21. “Love is the whole thing.
We are only pieces.”
22. “To Love is to be God.
Never will a Lover’s chest
feel any sorrow.
Never will a Lover’s robe
be touched by mortals.
Never will a Lover’s body
be found buried in the earth.
To Love is to be God.”
23. “Love is a river. Drink from it.”
24. “This is what love does and continues to do. It tastes like honey to adults and milk to children.”
25. “Love is an open secret, the most obvious thing in the world and the most hidden, with no why to how it keeps its mystery.”
26. “In your light I learn how to love.”
27. “I would love to kiss you.
The price of kissing is your life.”
28. “I went inside my heart
to see how it was.
Something there makes me hear
the whole world weeping.”
29. “If you want to be more alive, love is the truest health.”
30. “Love is the bridge between you and everything.”
31. “Sometimes you hear a voice through the door calling you… This turning toward what you deeply love saves you.”
32. “Love isn’t the work of the tender and the gentle;
Love is the work of wrestlers.
The one who becomes a servant of lovers
is really a fortunate sovereign.
Don’t ask anyone about Love; ask Love about Love.
Love is a cloud that scatters pearls.”
33. “In your light I learn how to love. In your beauty, how to make poems. You dance inside my chest where no-one sees you, but sometimes I do, and that sight becomes this art.”
34. “Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. They’re in each other all along.”
35. “Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.”
36. “This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet.”
37. “A thousand half-loves must be forsaken to take one whole heart home.”
38. “Wherever you are, and whatever you do, be in love.”
39. “Love so needs to love
that it will endure almost anything, even abuse,
just to flicker for a moment. But the sky’s mouth is kind,
its song will never hurt you, for I
sing those words.”
40. “I was dead, then alive.
Weeping, then laughing.
The power of love came into me,
and I became fierce like a lion,
then tender like the evening star.”
41. “Remember. The way you make love is the way God will be with you.”
42. “Gamble everything for love, if you are a true human being. If not, leave this gathering. Half-heartedness doesn’t reach into majesty.”
43. “You think you are alive
because you breathe air?
Shame on you,
that you are alive in such a limited way.
Don’t be without Love,
so you won’t feel dead.
Die in Love
and stay alive forever.”
44. “Love comes with a knife, not some shy question, and not with fears for its reputation!”
Rumi Quotes About Life
45. “Let silence take you to the core of life.”
46. “Live life as if everything is rigged in your favor.”
47. “Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.”
48. “Dance, when you’re broken open. Dance, if you’ve torn the bandage off. Dance in the middle of the fighting. Dance in your blood. Dance when you’re perfectly free.”
49. “You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life?”
50. “Forget safety.
Live where you fear to live.
Destroy your reputation.
51. “My soul is from elsewhere, I’m sure of that, and I intend to end up there.”
52. “Ignore those that make you fearful and sad, that degrade you back towards disease and death.”
53. “Everything in the universe is within you. Ask all from yourself.”
54. “Travel brings power and love back into your life.”
55. “Be empty of worrying.
Think of who created thought!
Why do you stay in prison
When the door is so wide open?”
56. “Start a huge, foolish project, like Noah…it makes absolutely no difference what people think of you.”
57. “Be a lamp, or a lifeboat, or a ladder. Help someone’s soul heal. Walk out of your house like a shepherd.”
58. “You think of yourself
as a citizen of the universe.
You think you belong
to this world of dust and matter.
Out of this dust
you have created a personal image,
and have forgotten
about the essence of your true origin.”
59. “Be motivated like the falcon,
Be magnificent as the leopard,
fight to win.
Spend less time with
nightingales and peacocks.
One is all talk,
the other only color.”
60. “When someone criticizes or disagrees with you, a small ant of hatred and antagonism is born in your heart. If you do not squash that ant at once, it might grow into a snake, or even a dragon.”
61. “The result of my life is no more than three words: I was raw, I became cooked, I was burnt.”
62. “Don’t turn away. Keep your gaze on the bandaged place. That’s where the light enters you.”
Rumi Quotes: Optimism
63. “But listen to me. For one moment
quit being sad. Hear blessings
dropping their blossoms
64. “Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.”
65. “Moonlight floods the whole sky from horizon to horizon; how much it can fill your room depends on its windows.”
66. “You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop.”
67. “Anyone who knows me, should learn to know me again; For I am like the Moon, you will see me with new face everyday.”
68. “Do not feel lonely, the entire universe is inside you.”
69. “Your heart is the size of an ocean. Go find yourself in its hidden depths.”
70. “Be empty of worrying. Think of who created thought! Why do you stay in prison when the door is so wide open? Move outside the tangle of fear-thinking. Live in silence. Flow down and down in always widening rings of being.”
71. “You have seen your own strength. You have seen your own beauty. You have seen your golden wings. Why do you worry?”
Popular Rumi Quotes
72. “When you go through a hard period,
When everything seems to oppose you,
… When you feel you cannot even bear one more minute,
NEVER GIVE UP!
Because it is the time and place that the course will divert!”
73. “What hurts you, blesses you. Darkness is your candle.”
74. “These pains you feel are messengers. Listen to them.”
75. “Beauty surrounds us.”
76. “Only from the heart can you touch the sky.”
77. “On a day when the wind is perfect, the sail just needs to open and the world is full of beauty. Today is such a day.”
78. “Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.”
79. “The only lasting beauty is the beauty of the heart”
80. “I see my beauty in you.”
81. “Nothing can help me but that beauty.
There was a dawn I remember
when my soul heard something from your soul.
I drank water from your spring
and felt the current take me.”
82. “What matters is how quickly you do what your soul directs.”
83. “Never lose hope, my heart, miracles dwell in the invisible. If the whole world turns against you keep your eyes on the Friend.”
84. “When soul rises
You feel the kiss
You have wanted”
85. “The soul is her for its own joy.”
86. “Let go of your mind and then be mindful.
Close your ears and listen!”
87. “Your breath touched my soul and I saw beyond all limits.”
88. “Look carefully around you and recognize
the luminosity of souls.
Sit beside those who draw you to that.”
89. “Sit quietly and listen for a voice that will say, “Be more silent.” As that happens, your soul starts to revive.”
90. “Body is not veiled from soul, neither soul from body,
Yet no man hath ever seen a soul.”
91. “Wherever you stand, be the Soul of that place.”
92. “The soul has been given it’s own ears to hear things the mind does not understand.”
93. “My dear soul, flee from the worthless,
stay close only to those with a pure heart.
Like attracts like.
A crow will lead you to the graveyard,
a parrot to a lump of sugar.”
94. “Your soul is so close to mine
That what you dream, I know.
I know everything you think of: your heart is so close to mine!”
95. “I have put the ear of my soul in the widow of your heart.”
96. “This is how I would die
into the love I have for you:
As pieces of cloud
dissolve in sunlight.”
97. “At the end of my life, with just one breath left,
if you come, I’ll sit up and sing.”
98. “I died as a mineral and became a plant,
I died as a plant and rose to animal,
I died as an animal and I was Man.
Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?”
99. “Everyone is so afraid of death, but the real sufis just laugh: nothing tyrannizes their hearts. What strikes the oyster shell does not damage the pearl”
100. “Woman is the light of God.”
101. “The woman has great power. Se can tie knots in your chest that only God’s breathing loosens. Don’t take her appeal lightly.”
102. “With passion pray.
With passion make love.
With passion eat and drink and dance and play.
Why look like a dead fish in this ocean of God?”
103. “In the silence of love
you will find the spark of life.”
104. “Know the true definition of yourself. That is essential.
Then, when you know your own definition, flee from it.”
105. “I want that love that moved the mountains.
I want that love that split the ocean.
I want that love that made the winds tremble.
I want that love that roared like thunder.
I want that love that will raise the dead.
I want that love that lifts us to ecstasy.
I want that love that is the silence of eternity.”
106. “I am an atom;
you are like the countenance of the Sun for me.
I am a patient of Love
you are like medicine for me.
Without wings, without feathers,
I fly about looking for you.
I have become a Rose petal
and you are like the Wind for me.
Take me for a ride.”
107. “We are the mirror, as well as the face in it.
We are tasting the taste of eternity this minute.
We are pain and what cures pain.
We are the sweet cold water and the jar that pours.
Soul of the world, no life, nor world remain,
no beautiful women and men longing.
Only this ancient love circling the holy black stone of nothing.
Where the lover is the loved, the horizon and everything within it.”
108. “Listen to presences inside poems,
Let them take you where they will.
Follow those private hints,
and never leave the premises.”
109. “You are the source of the sun.
And I am the willow’s shadow.
Oh, you have struck me on the head,
Wretch that I am, on fire am I.”
110. “You consider issues, but not deeply enough.
Your spring is frozen. Faith is a flowing.
Don’t try to forge cold iron.
Study David, the ironsmith, and dancer, and musician.
Move into the sun. You’re wrapped in fantasy
and inner mumbling. When spirit enters, a man begins to wander freely,
escaped and overrunning through the garden plants,
spontaneous and soaking in.
Now a miracle story…”
111. “You came suddenly shook me from my sleep and vanished.
In my heart you rose like the moon
but as I glanced at you, you disappeared.
Having had a glimpse of Your garden,
I have no more the patience to endure my existence.”
112. “Late, by myself, in the boat of myself,
no light and no land anywhere,
cloudcover thick. I try to stay
just above the surface, yet I’m already under
and living within the ocean.”
113. “My love, you are closer to me than myself…
You shine through my eyes,
Your light is brighter than the Moon…
Step into the garden so all the flowers…
Even the tall poplar can kneel before your beauty…
Let your voice silence the lily famous for its hundred tongues,
When you want to be kind…
You are softer than the soul…
But when you withdraw…
You can be so cold and harsh.
Dear one, you can be wild and rebellious…
But when you meet him face to face…
His charm will make you docile like the earth,
Throw away your shield and bare your chest…
There is no stronger protection than him.
That’s why when the Lover withdraws from the world…
He covers all the cracks in the wall…
So the outside light cannot come though,
He knows that only the inner light illuminates his world!”
114. “You are sitting here with us,
but you are also out walking in a field at dawn.
You are yourself the animal we hunt
when you come with us on the hunt.
You are in your body
like a plant is solid in the ground,
yet you are wind.
You are the diver’s clothes
lying empty on the beach.
You are the fish.
In the ocean are many bright strands
and many dark strands like veins that are seen
when a wing is lifted up.
Your hidden self is blood in those,
those veins that are lute strings
that make ocean music,
not the sad edge of surf,
but the sound of no shore.”
115. “So Recklessly Exposed
December and January, gone.
Tulips coming up. It’s time to watch
how trees stagger in the wind
and roses never rest.
Wisteria and Jasmine twist on themselves.
Violet kneels to Hyacinth, who bows.
Narcissus winks, wondering what will
the lightheaded Willow say
of such slow dancing by Cypress.
Painters come outdoors with brushes.
I love their hands.
The birds sing suddenly and all at once.
The soul says Ya Hu, quietly.
A dove calls, Where, ku?
Soul, you will find it.
Now the roses show their breasts.
No one hides when the Friend arrives.
The Rose speaks openly to the Nightingale.
Notice how the Green Lily has several tongues
but still keeps her secret.
Now the Nightingale sings this love
that is so recklessly exposed, like you.”
116. “Don’t hand me another glass of wine. Pour it in my mouth. I’ve lost the way to my mouth.”
117. “First, when I was apart from you,
this world did not exist, nor any other.
Second, whatever I was looking for
was always you.”
118. “What else can I say?
You will only hear
what you are ready to hear.
Don’t nod your head,
Don’t try to fool me—
the truth of what you see
is written all over your face!”
119. “There is a place born of silence
A place where the whispers of the heart arise.
There is a place where voices sing your beauty
A place where every breath
carves your image
in my soul.”
120. “My soul is from elsewhere, I’m sure of that,
and I intend to end up there.
This drunkenness began in some other tavern.
When I get back around to that place,
I’ll be completely sober.”
121. “Don’t run around this world
looking for a hole to hide in.
There are wild beasts in every cave!
If you live with mice,
the cat claws will find you.”
122. “You were born with potential.
You were born with goodness and trust.
You were born with ideals and dreams.
You were born with greatness.
You were born with wings.
You are not meant for crawling, so don’t.
You have wings.
Learn to use them and fly.”
123. “You are my wine, my joy,
My garden, my springtime,
My slumber, my repose,
Without you, I can’t cope.”
124. “Die! Die! Die in this love!
If you die in this love,Your soul will be renewed.
Die! Die! Don’t fear the death of that which is known
If you die to the temporal, You will become timeless.”
125. “Imagine a man selling his donkey
to be with Jesus.
Now imagine him selling Jesus
to get a ride on a donkey.
This does happen.
Jesus can transform a drunk into gold.
If the drunk is already golden,
he can be changed to pure diamond.
If already that, he can become the circling
planets, Jupiter, Venus, the moon.
Never think that you are worthless.
God has paid an enormous amount for you,
and the gifts keep arriving.”
126. “When you look for God,
God is in the look of your eyes
In the thought of looking, nearer to you than your self,
or things that have happened to you
There’s no need to go outside.
Be melting snow.
Wash yourself of yourself.
A white flower grows in the quietness.
Let your tongue become that flower.”
127. “GO WITH MUDDY FEET
When you hear dirty story
wash your ears.
When you see ugly stuff
wash your eyes.
When you get bad thoughts
wash your mind.
Keep your feet muddy.”
128. “This is a gathering of Lovers.
In this gathering
there is no high, no low,
no smart, no ignorant,
no special assembly,
no grand discourse,
no proper schooling required.
There is no master,
129. “Because I Cannot Sleep
Because I cannot sleep
I make music at night.
I am troubled by the one
whose face has the color of spring flowers.
I have neither sleep nor patience,
neither a good reputation nor disgrace.
A thousand robes of wisdom are gone.
All my good manners have moved a thousand miles away.
The heart and the mind are left angry with each other.
The stars and the moon are envious of each other.
Because of this alienation the physical universe
is getting tighter and tighter.
The moon says, ‘How long will I remain
suspended without a sun?’
Without Love’s jewel inside of me,
let the bazaar of my existence be destroyed stone by stone.
O Love, You who have been called by a thousand names,
You who know how to pour the wine
into the chalice of the body,
You who give culture to a thousand cultures,
You who are faceless but have a thousand faces,
O Love, You who shape the faces
of Turks, Europeans, and Zanzibaris,
give me a glass from Your bottle,
or a handful of being from Your Branch.
Remove the cork once more.
Then we’ll see a thousand chiefs prostrate themselves,
and a circle of ecstatic troubadours will play.
Then the addict will be freed of craving.
and will be resurrected,
and stand in awe till Judgement Day”
130. “You call out, I am the lover,
But these are mere words.
If you see lover and Beloved as two,
you either have double vision,
or you can’t count.”
131. “A woman is a beam of the divine light
she is not the being whom sensual
desire takes as it’s object
she is a creator it should be said
she is not a creature
she is infinite love
can find all this”
132. “MAULANA’S LAST LETTER TO SHAMS
Sometimes I wonder, sweetest love, if you
Were a mere dream in along winter night,
A dream of spring-days, and of golden light
Which sheds its rays upon a frozen heart;
A dream of wine that fills the drunken eye.
And so I wonder, sweetest love, if I
Should drink this ruby wine, or rather weep;
Each tear a bezel with your face engraved,
A rosary to memorize your name…
There are so many ways to call you back-
Yes, even if you only were a dream.”
133. “I came with many knots in my heart,
like the magician’s rope.
You undid them all at once.
I see now the splendor of the student
and that of the teacher’s art.
Love and this body sit inside your presence,
one demolished, the other drunk.
We smile. We weep, tree limbs
turning sere, then light green.”
134. “When Love comes suddenly and taps
on your window, run and let it in but first
shut the door of your reason.
Even the smallest hint chases love away
like smoke that drowns the freshness
of the morning breeze.
To reason Love can only say,
the way is barred, you can’t pass through
but to the lover it offers a hundred blessings.
Before the mind decides to take a step
Love has reached the seventh heaven.
Before the mind can figure how
Love has climbed the Holy Mountain.
I must stop this talk now and let
Love speak from its nest of silence.”
135. “Love is neither a tale nor a game.
Love is such a powerful torrent
that no one can stand in front of it.
Love is the flame which, when it blazes,
consumes everything other than the Beloved”
136. “Should everything pass away,
it couldn’t happen without You.
This heart of mines bears Your imprint;
it has nowhere else to turn.
The eye of the intellect is drunk with You,
the wheeling galaxy is humble before You,
the ear of ecstasy is in Your hand;
nothing happens without You.
The soul is bubbling with You,
the heart imbibes from You,
the intellect bellows in rapture;
nothing happens without You.
You, my grape wine and my intoxication,
my rose garden and my springtime,
my sleep and repose;
nothing happens without You.
You are my grandeur and glory,
you are my possessions and prosperity,
you are my purest water;
nothing happens without You” This is the prayer of each:
You are the source of my life.
You separate essence from mud.
You honor my soul.
You bring rivers from the
You brighten my eyes.
The wine you offer
takes me out of myself
into the self we share.
Doing that is religion”
137. “Oh Beloved,
Liberate my soul.
Fill me with your love and
release me from the two worlds.
If I set my heart on anything but you
let fire burn me from inside.
take away what I want.
Take away what I do.
Take away what I need.
Take away everything
that takes me from you.”
138. “I swear, since seeing Your face,
the whole world is fraud and fantasy
The garden is bewildered as to what is leaf
or blossom. The distracted birds
can’t distinguish the birdseed from the snare.
A house of love with no limits,
a presence more beautiful than venus or the moon,
a beauty whose image fills the mirror of the heart.”
139. “My Soul is my Guide,
for my Soul is of that Abode
I will not Speak of the Earthly,
I am of the Unknown.”