These Scarlett O’Hara quotes will help you gain insights into her personality, goals, and realizations.
Gone with the Wind is a novel by Margaret Mitchell that was later adapted into a movie in 1939. It’s an iconic piece that focuses on love, trials, and persistence in the wake of the American Civil War. At the center of everything is Scarlett O’Hara, a young woman spoiled by her wealthy parents.
However, no one can escape war’s wrath. Because of this, Scarlett slowly struggled through the hardships brought about by the conflict. It’s gone as far as starvation and even the possibility of death.
Determined to survive, Scarlett ran her family’s plantation, picked cotton, became a successful businesswoman, and even killed a man. Yet, though she was successful in this regard, she couldn’t salvage her love for Rhett. They get married at some point, but he leaves her, and the story ends with her expressing her determination to win him back.
Scarlett O’Hara is one of the more complex characters we’ll come to know. So, read on and find some of her best quotes from Gone with the Wind!
And make sure to check out these Gone with the Wind quotes and Lady Macbeth quotes.
Best Scarlett O’Hara Quotes
1. “I’ll think about that tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day.” – Scarlett O’Hara
2. “Great balls of fire. Don’t bother me anymore, and don’t call me sugar.” – Scarlett O’Hara
3. “Well, if you think I’ll marry you just to pay for the bonnet, I won’t.” – Scarlett O’Hara
4. “Vanity was stronger than love at 16, and there was no room in her hot heart now for anything but hate.” – Scarlett O’Hara
5. “I loved something I made up, something that’s just as dead as Melly is.” – Scarlett O’Hara
6. “I can shoot straight if I don’t have to shoot too far.” – Scarlett O’Hara
7. “As God is my witness, as God is my witness, they are not going to lick me. I’m going to live through this, and when it’s all over, I’ll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat, or kill, as God is my witness I’ll never be hungry again.” – Scarlett O’Hara
8. “No woman would want a child of a cad like you. I wish for anybody’s child but yours.” – Scarlett O’Hara
9. “I’m too young to be a widow. My life is over. Nothing will ever happen to me anymore.” – Scarlett O’Hara
10. “Dreams, dreams—always dreams with you; never common sense.” – Scarlett O’Hara
Scarlett O’Hara Quotes to Get a Different Perspective on Love
11. “I’d cut up my heart for you to wear if you wanted it.” – Scarlett O’Hara
12. “If I said I was madly in love with you, you’d know I was lying.” – Scarlett O’Hara
13. “You led me on. You made me believe you wanted to marry me.” – Scarlett O’Hara
14. “Marriage, fun? Fiddle-dee-dee. Fun for men, you mean.” – Scarlett O’Hara
15. “If he’s forgotten me, I’ll make him remember me. I’ll make him want me again.” – Scarlett O’Hara
16. “You’re a conceited, blackhearted varmint, Rhett Butler. I don’t know why I let come and see me.” – Scarlett O’Hara
Scarlett O’Hara Quotes for Those Who Want to Revisit the Novel
17. “He never really existed at all, except in my imagination.” – Margaret Mitchell, Author
18. “It was better to know the worst than to wonder.” – Margaret Mitchell, Author
19. “There are too many other things to think about—things that can be helped without my thinking of those I can’t help.” – Margaret Mitchell, Author
20. “And apologies, once postponed, became harder and harder to make, and finally impossible.” – Margaret Mitchell, Author
21. “Burdens are for shoulders strong enough to carry them.” – Margaret Mitchell, Author
22. “Death, taxes, and childbirth! There’s never any convenient time for any of them.” – Margaret Mitchell, Author
23. “I mustn’t bawl; I mustn’t beg. I mustn’t do anything to risk his contempt. He must respect me even—even if he doesn’t love me.” – Margaret Mitchell, Author
24. “I made a pretty suit of clothes and fell in love with it. And when Ashley came riding along, so handsome, so different, I put that suit on him and made him wear it whether it fitted him or not. And I wouldn’t see what he really was. I kept on loving the pretty clothes—and not him at all.” – Margaret Mitchell, Author
25. “How wonderful to know someone who was bad and dishonorable and a cheat and a liar, when all the world was filled with people who would not lie to save their souls and who would rather starve than do a dishonorable deed!” – Margaret Mitchell, Author
What’s Your First Impression of Scarlett O’Hara?
Many would say that Scarlett O’Hara is unique compared to most Southern belles during her time. And, while she tries to behave according to what society would consider acceptable, Scarlett’s instincts and personality push her against the tide.
You would consider Scarlett manipulative and petty, among others. But, let’s not just look at her negative qualities; Scarlett also has some pretty remarkable traits we can all admire. Determined, loyal, and rebellious are some words we can use to describe her.
She didn’t give up when facing death and hunger and remained determined to succeed. This led her to pick her cotton, run her family’s plantation, and even start different businesses.
Scarlett was rebellious, but at the same time, she was fiercely loyal to those whom she believed deserved her loyalty. Because of this trait, she often voiced her opinions, even if there was a high chance she would get in trouble.
This only covers the iceberg that is Scarlett O’Hara’s personality. There are still so many things about her that we can explore, discuss, and discover. Keep this list in your bookmarks so you can learn more about her!