These 60 Scarlett O’Hara quotes about women’s courage and tenacity in the face of hardship are sure to inspire you.
Scarlett O’Hara is a Southern belle in the 1939 romance film, Gone With the Wind. She is a young woman from a prominent family who is struggling with the effects of the civil war and reconstruction.
She goes from being a spoiled adolescent to a successful businesswoman.
She is a symbol of a strong lady who perseveres in the face of adversity. She did everything she could to survive, despite her gender and flaws.
She even outperforms men’s talents at times and prospered in times of civil war.
Life will never get tired of putting us to the test. So, if you wish to have Scarlett’s strong personality, read these motivational quotes.
Best Scarlett O’Hara Quotes
1. “And apologies, once postponed, became harder and harder to make, and finally impossible.”
2. “If I said I was madly in love with you, you’d know I was lying.”
3. “I’d cut up my heart for you to wear if you wanted it.”
4. “I’ll think about that tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day.”
5. “War, war, war. This war talk’s spoiling all the fun at every party this spring. I got so bored I could scream!”
6. “I can shoot straight, if I don’t have to shoot too far.”
7. “That is the one unforgivable sin in any society—be different and be damned!”
8. “Well, if you think I’ll marry you just to pay for the bonnet, I won’t.”
9. “I kept on loving the pretty clothes—and not him at all.”
10. “It was better to know the worst than to wonder.”
11. “I loved something I made up, something that’s just as dead as Melly is.”
12. “Burdens are for shoulders strong enough to carry them.”
13. “Vanity was stronger than love at 16, and there was no room in her hot heart now for anything but hate.”
14. “I can’t think about that right now. If I do, I’ll go crazy.”
15. “Sir, you are no gentleman.”
Famous Scarlett O’Hara Quotes
16. “As God is my witness, I’ll never be hungry again!”
17. “Great balls of fire. Don’t bother me anymore, and don’t call me sugar.”
18. “Where shall I go? What shall I do?”
19. “Tara! Home. I’ll go home.”
20. “I’m too young to be a widow. My life is over. Nothing will ever happen to me again.”
21. “Rhett, I’m so sorry, for everything.”
22. “You’d rather live with that silly little fool who can’t open her mouth except to say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ and raise a passel of mealy-mouthed brats just like her.”
23. “He looks as if—as if he knows what I look like without my shimmy.”
24. “No woman would want a child of a cad like you. I wish for anybody’s child but yours.”
25. “That’s something you’ll never hear from me, Captain Butler, as long as you live.”
26. “I’ve found out that money is the most important thing in the world and, as God is my witness, I don’t ever intend to be without it again.”
27. “You’re a conceited, blackhearted varmint, Rhett Butler. I don’t know why I let you come and see me.”
28. “Oh, if I just wasn’t a lady, what wouldn’t I tell that varmint?”
29. “Tomorrow, I’ll think of some way to get him back.”
30. “Death, taxes, and childbirth! There’s never any convenient time for any of them.”
Scarlett O’Hara Quotes About Love
31. “You’ve done everything possible to make her love you and not me.”
32. “If he’s forgotten me, I’ll make him remember me. I’ll make him want me again.”
33. “I made a pretty suit of clothes and fell in love with it. And when Ashley came riding along, so handsome, so different, I put that suit on him and made him wear it whether it fitted him or not.”
34. “Don’t tease me now. Have I your heart, my darling? I love you. I love you.”
35. “All I know is that I love you! And you don’t love Melanie!”
Scarlett O’Hara Quotes on Marriage
36. “Why does a girl have to be so silly to catch a husband?”
37. “Marriage, fun? Fiddle-dee-dee. Fun for men you mean.”
38. “You led me on—you made me believe you wanted to marry me.”
Scarlett O’Hara Quotes to Ponder On
39. “Well, I guess I’ve done murder. I won’t think about that now.”
40. “Oh, Melanie Wilkes, why did you have to bring your good looking brother down here just to break my poor simple country girl’s heart?”
41. “Now, isn’t this better than sitting at a table? A girl hasn’t got but two sides to her at the table.”
42. “Don’t you ever dare say you hate Tara again! It’s the same as hating Pa and Ma!”
43. “I’m going to dance and dance! Tonight, I wouldn’t mind dancing with Abe Lincoln himself!”
44. “I’m going to Atlanta for that $300 and I gotta go looking like a queen.”
45. “Dreams—dreams always dreams with you, never common sense.”
46. “Ashley Wilkes told me he likes to see a girl with a hearty appetite!”
47. “Oh, no! No, you’re wrong, terribly wrong! I don’t want a divorce. Oh, Rhett, but I knew tonight, when I—when I knew I loved you, I ran home to tell you, oh, darling, darling!”
Short Scarlett O’Hara Quotes
48. “Thank heaven I’m not that modest.”
49. “Oh Rhett, don’t let her jump!”
50. “Don’t be a goose Melly!”
51. “But you love me!”
52. “That’s all of Tara you’ll ever get!”
53. “What a cool liar you are, Melly!”
More Scarlett O’Hara Quotes You’ll Love
54. “I’ll think of it all tomorrow, Tara. I can stand it then.”
55. “She saw in his eyes defeat of her wild dreams—her mad desires.”
56. “Life was not easy, nor was it happy, but she did not expect life to be easy, and, if it was not happy, that was a woman’s lot. It was a man’s world, and she accepted it as such. The man owned the property, and the woman managed it. The man took credit for the management, and the woman praised his cleverness.”
57. “I won’t need you to rescue me. I can take care of myself, thank you!”
58. “There was nothing else she did have, nothing but this red land, this land she had been willing to throw away like a torn handkerchief only a few minutes before. Now, it was dear to her again and she wondered dully what madness had possessed her to hold it so lightly.”
59. “He never really existed at all, except in my imagination.”
60. “How wonderful to know someone who was bad and dishonourable, and a cheat and a liar, when all the world was filled with people who would not lie to save their souls and who would rather starve than do a dishonourable deed!”
How Much Can You Sacrifice to Find True Love?
Love can make or break you. Scarlett’s unrequited love prompted her to marry three times. She married Rhett Butler for his money before realizing how much she adores him.
She lost her real love in the pursuit of success and unrequited love. But, her optimism helped her achieve success in life despite her failed relationships.
You should never give up on your goals in life. These quotes will help you to be strong even when confronted with adversity. Like Scarlett, you can be vulnerable on the outside but wonderful on the inside.
Which Scarlett O’Hara quotes helped you grow as a person? Do you have any favorites? Please, leave your comments in the area below.