Travel down the rabbit hole with us by reading this list of Alice in Wonderland quotes!
Alice in Wonderland is a 1951 movie released by Walt Disney Productions. But, the plot itself wasn’t original to Disney. It was based on Lewis Carroll’s Alice book series.
Nonetheless, the movie follows the same storyline where a young girl falls into a rabbit hole down into a whole new nonsensical place called Wonderland. Alice comes across many different characters like Cheshire Cat, Mad Hatter, and more. Albeit different, there’s one thing common across everyone and everything in Wonderland: madness!
Alice slowly realizes that many things thought impossible are possible, and there is a madness inside every being in this world. This made Alice in Wonderland such a timeless classic with a unique charm. It’s a movie that brings us hope and wonder and allows us to broaden the horizons of our imagination.
So, if you’re curious about Alice’s journey, read through the quotes we’ve compiled. We’re positive you’ll find some quotes that resonate with you! Read through to the end and discover great lines from Alice in Wonderland’s different adaptations!
And don’t forget to check out these The Princess Bride quotes and Beauty and the Beast quotes.
Best Alice in Wonderland Quotes
1. “Most everyone’s mad here.” – Cheshire Cat
2. “Curiosity often leads to trouble.” – Alice
3. “The time! The time! Who’s got the time?” – March Hare
4. “No wonder you’re late. Why, this watch is exactly two days slow.” – Mad Hatter
5. “Of all the silly nonsense, this is the stupidest tea party I’ve ever been to in all my life.” – Alice
6. “But how can one possibly pay attention to a book with no pictures in it?” – Alice
7. “If you don’t know where you are going, any road can take you there.” – Cheshire Cat
8. “If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn’t. And contrariwise, what it is, it wouldn’t be, and what it wouldn’t be, it would. You see?” – Alice
9. Alice: “I just wanted to ask which way I ought to go.”
Cheshire Cat: “Well, that depends on where you want to get to.”
Alice: “Oh, it really doesn’t matter as long as I—.”
Cheshire Cat: “Then it really doesn’t matter which way you go.”
10. March Hare: “See all the trouble you’ve started?”
Alice: “Really, I didn’t think—.”
March Hare: “But that’s the point. If you don’t think, you shouldn’t talk.”
Iconic Alice in Wonderland Quotes to Read Over and Over
11. “That’s enough! Off with their heads!” – Queen of Hearts
12. “Curiouser and curiouser!” – Alice
13. “The hurrier I go, the behinder I get.” – White Rabbit
14. March Hare: “I have an excellent idea! Let’s change the subject.”
Mad Hatter: “Why is a raven like a writing desk?”
Alice: “Riddles? Let me see now. Why is a raven like a writing desk?”
Mad Hatter: “I beg your pardon?”
Alice: “Why is a raven like a writing desk?”
Mad Hatter: “What?!”
March Hare: “Careful, she’s stark raving mad.”
Alice in Wonderland Quotes That’ll Fire Up Your Imagination
15. Alice: “I must get through!”
Doorknob: “Sorry, you’re much too big. Simply impassable.”
Alice: “You mean impossible.”
Doorknob: “No, impassable. Nothing Is impossible.”
16. “But that’s just the trouble with me. I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.” – Alice
17. “Some go this way. Some go that way. But as for me, myself, personally, I prefer the shortcut.” – Cheshire Cat
18. “Who in the world am I? Ah, that’s the great puzzle.” – Alice
19. “Oh, my fur and whiskers! I’m late, I’m late, I’m late!” – White Rabbit
20. Mad Hatter: “Would you like a little more tea?”
Alice: “Well, I haven’t had any yet. So I can’t very well take more.”
March Hare: “Ah, you mean you can’t very well take less. Yes. You can always take more than nothing.”
Alice in Wonderland Quotes to Satisfy Your Curiosity
21. “We never get compliments; you must have a cup of tea!” – Mad Hatter
22. “It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.” – Alice
23. Alice: “I’m very sorry I interrupted your birthday party.”
March Hare: “Birthday? My dear child, this is not a birthday party!”
Mad Hatter: “This is an unbirthday party.”
24. “The time has come, to talk of other things—of shoes and ships and sealing wax, and cabbages and kings. And why the sea is boiling hot, and whether pigs have wings. Calloo, Callay, no work today; we’re the cabbages and kings.” – Walrus
25. Tweedledum: “If you think we’re waxworks, you ought to pay, you know.”
Tweedledee: “Contrariwise, if you think we’re alive, you ought to speak to us.”
Both: “That’s logic!”
More Alice in Wonderland Quotes for Fans of the Live-Action Movie
26. Mad Hatter: “Have I gone mad?”
Alice: “I’m afraid so. You’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
27. Alice: “This is impossible.”
Mad Hatter: “Only if you believe it is.”
28. “Alice, you cannot live your life to please others. The choice must be yours because when you step out to face that creature, you will step out alone.” – White Queen
29. “There is a place. Like no place on Earth. A land full of wonder, mystery, and danger! Some say to survive it, you need to be as mad as a hatter. Which luckily I am.” – Mad Hatter
30. “You used to be much more—muchier. You’ve lost your muchness.” – Mad Hatter
What’s the Most Unimaginable Thing You Thought Was Impossible?
Whether you’re a young adult who needs some advice or a parent who needs some words to guide their children, Alice in Wonderland has everything you need. Sure, it’s unrealistic to follow a stranger to a place you’ve never been to. But, through Alice’s journey, she’s been able to arm herself with wisdom that’ll help her navigate life moving forward.
The first lesson we can take from her is taking a leap of faith into the unknown. We understand how terrifying it is to get out of your comfort zone, but imagine a sedentary life where you’re completely standing still in one place. Wouldn’t that scare you more?
The second thing we learn from Alice and her adventure is self-discovery. When the caterpillar asks her about who she is, she can’t give a straightforward answer; that’s completely normal. It’s hard to understand who we truly are without reflection, contemplation, and a strong desire to discover who we actually want to be.
Lastly, and maybe most importantly, Alice in Wonderland makes us believe that the impossible is possible. Our imagination is limitless, and if we only recognize that and strive for our dreams—no matter how far—then we’ll surely make it!
Alice in Wonderland is indeed a movie that will have your mind reeling with all its profound lessons. However, these morals will make navigating life a little bit easier. Read this list again whenever you need some more pieces of advice!