Strap yourself in as we dive into the craziest Mad Hatter quotes!
In Disney’s original animated work, there’s a character we’ve all come to know as the Mad Hatter. However, if you’ve read Lewis Carroll’s books like Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland or Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, you’ll know he never explicitly mentioned this name; he only referred to the character as the Hatter.
But, many attributed his madness to real-life historical events during Lewis Carroll’s time. During this point in history, hatters were frequently exposed to mercury-based chemicals.
The side effects of being constantly exposed to them include being prone to mood swings or tremors, making them appear crazy by society’s standards. Many believe that this was Carroll’s main inspiration for Mad Hatter.
Apart from the 1951 Disney animated movie, Alice in Wonderland was also adapted into live-action movies. In these versions, Johnny Depp breathed life into Mad Hatter’s character!
Join Mad Hatter in some of his infamous tea parties through this list of quotes! We’ve got his best quotes from the movie franchise and his iconic lines from the books!
And don’t forget to check out these Alice in Wonderland quotes and Cheshire Cat quotes.
Best Mad Hatter Quotes
1. Mad Hatter: “Have I gone mad?”
Alice: “I’m afraid so. You’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
2. “A land was full of wonder, mystery, and danger. Some say, to survive it, you need to be as mad as a hatter. Which, luckily, I am.”
3. “If you knew Time as well as I do, you wouldn’t talk about wasting it. It’s him.”
4. “For instance, suppose it were nine o’clock in the morning, just time to begin lessons: you’d only have to whisper a hint to Time, and round goes the clock in a twinkling! Half past one, time for dinner!”
5. “A dream is not reality, but who’s to say which is which?”
6. “Why should it? Does your watch tell you what year it is?”
7. “What a small world this is!”
8. “No wonder you’re late. Why, this watch is exactly two days slow.”
9. “Egad, you learn something new every day. Make a note of that, Marchy; it might come in useful.”
10. March Hare: “Take some more tea.”
Alice: “I’ve had nothing yet, so I can’t take more.”
Mad Hatter: “You mean you can’t take less. It’s very easy to take more than nothing.”
Famous Mad Hatter Lines
11. Alice: “Really, now you ask me, I don’t think—.”
Mad Hatter: “Then you shouldn’t talk.”
12. “I dare say you never even spoke to Time!”
13. “What’s the matter, my dear, don’t you care for tea?”
14. “This is an unbirthday party!”
15. “Have you any idea why a raven is like a writing desk?”
Quotes From the Mad Hatter That Are Just Manic
16. Mad Hatter: “Have you guessed the riddle yet?”
Alice: “No, I give it up; what’s the answer?”
Mad Hatter: “I haven’t the slightest idea.”
17. “What a regrettably large head you have. I would very much like to hat it. I used to hat the White Queen, you know. Her head was so small.”
18. “Pieces of paper! Pointless.”
19. “We never get compliments; you must have a cup of tea!”
Mad Hatter Quotes From the Alice in Wonderland Disney Franchise
20. “Twinkle twinkle, little bat, how I wonder where you’re at. Up above the world, you fly, like a tea tray in the sky.”
21. Alice: “This is impossible.”
Mad Hatter: “Only if you believe it is.”
22. “Yes, that’s it! It’s always tea time.”
23. “Why is it you’re always too small or too tall?”
24. Alice: “Who are you?”
Mad Hatter: “A friend. I hope.”
25. Mad Hatter: “I’ve been considering words that start with the letter M. Moron. Mutiny. Murder. Mmm-malice.”
The Red Queen: “Well, we’re looking for an A word right now. Where is Alice?”
Mad Hatter Sayings That Are Outright Crazy
26. “What is the hatter with me?”
27. “Yes, yes, but you would have to be half-mad to dream me up.”
28. “I keep them to sell. I’ve none of my own. I’m a hatter.”
29. Mad Hatter: “Your carriage, my lady.”
Alice: “A hat?”
Mad Hatter: “Of course. Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat. Have I made a rhyme?”
30. “When that day comes, I shall futterwacken vigorously.”
31. “You might just as well say that, ‘I see what I eat,’ is the same thing as, ‘I eat what I see!’”
More Mad Hatter Quotes for Lewis Carroll Fans
32. “If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn’t. And contrary-wise, what is it wouldn’t be. And what it wouldn’t be, it would. You see?”
33. “My response to that is both profound and meaningful: get your hair cut!”
34. “I want a clean cup; let’s all move one place on.”
35. “You can draw water out of a water well, so I should think you could draw treacle out of a treacle well—eh, stupid?”
Do You Believe Mad Hatter’s as Crazy as He Seems?
Mad Hatter has earned a special place in fans’ hearts because of his odd and quirky personality. He might come across as rude, especially in the original animated adaptation, but he’s also given life to the plot.
His value was made even more apparent when the modern live-action movies of the Alice in Wonderland franchise were released. In these versions, Johnny Depp added a new layer of personality to Mad Hatter.
Instead of being somewhat of an antagonist to Alice in the original books and animated movie, he became more of her friend. Mad Hatter developed a bond with Alice to the point that he even became a willing prisoner in the Knave of Hearts to help her find the White Queen.
Mad Hatter is undoubtedly a unique character that Lewis Carroll put a lot of thought into making! He’s not just a reference to the ill-treatment of hatters in the 19th century; he’s also an essential character in Alice in Wonderland!
Make sure you remember what he is truly about! Also, revisit this list of the best Mad Hatter quotes whenever you need inspiration!