Here are the best community quotes that will encourage you to work together with others to achieve a common goal!
One of John Donne’s most famous quotes goes, “No man is an island.” This line, however short, shows us how valuable communities are.
We can never survive on this planet alone, and we’ll always need to rely on other people to make our lives more meaningful.
Community is a significant part of human life because it unites people and offers them power.
People have lived in groups that help them survive and fight off enemies for thousands of years. It’s hard to live alone, and this is a fact that everyone in the world can relate to.
When we build connections with other people, we’ll feel stronger and know that we can overcome any obstacle with their support.
We all have differences, but communities offer us a sense of belongingness we wouldn’t find elsewhere.
Let these community quotes remind you of your unique and special place in this world. Read the entire collection below and learn more about the value of every community on this planet.
Best Community Quotes
1. “Community is not an ideal; it is people. It is you and I. In a community, we are called to love people just as they are with their wounds and their gifts, not as we want them to be.” – Jean Vanier
2. “The power of community to create health is far greater than any physician, clinic, or hospital.” – Mark Hyman
3. “The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members.” – Coretta Scott King
4. “We were born to unite with our fellow men, and to join in community with the human race.” – Cicero
5. “Some people think they are in the community, but they are only in proximity. True community requires commitment and openness. It is a willingness to extend yourself to encounter and know the other.” – David Spangler
Community Quotes to Inspire Love and Compassion
6. “For a community to be whole and healthy, it must be based on people’s love and concern for each other.” – Millard Fuller
7. “We have all known the long loneliness, and we have learned that the only solution is love and that love comes with community.” – Dorothy Day
8. “Community is a sign that love is possible in a materialistic world where people so often either ignore or fight each other. It is a sign that we don’t need a lot of money to be happy—in fact, the opposite.” – Jean Vanier
9. “The community stagnates without the impulse of the individual; the impulse dies away without the sympathy of the community.” – William James
10. “One of the marvelous things about community is that it enables us to welcome and help people in a way we couldn’t as individuals. When we pool our strength and share the work and responsibility, we can welcome many people, even those in deep distress, and perhaps help them find self-confidence and inner healing.” – Jean Vanier
Short Community Quotes to Keep In Mind
11. “It is in a community where we find our very selves.” – Chris Matakas
12. “All communities are in some way imagined.” – Stan Grant
13. “A sense of community strengthens people’s faith in humanity.” – Jessica Marie Baumgartner
14. “Community is where humility and glory touch.” – Henri Nouwen
15. “If you support the community, they will support you.” – Jerry Greenfield
16. “Community is universal love.” – H. Marsh
17. “Every person is defined by the communities she belongs to.” – Orson Scott Card
18. “Without a sense of caring, there can be no sense of community.” – Anthony J. D’Angelo
Positive Community Quotes That’ll Push You to Connect With Others
19. “People are never truly alone or separate from the community, and cannot be.” – Ichiro Kishimi
20. “Community is gathering around a fire and listening to someone tell a story.” – Bill Maher
21. “A community is like a ship; everyone ought to be prepared to take the helm.” – Henrik Ibsen
22. “Community is a place where the connections felt in our hearts make themselves known in the bonds between people, and where the tuggings and pullings of those bonds keep opening our hearts.” – Parker J. Palmer
23. “A community is made up of intimate relationships among diversified types of individuals.” – Carroll Quigley
24. “A community is a mental and spiritual condition of knowing that the place is shared and that the people who share the place define and limit the possibilities of each other’s lives.” – Wendell Berry
25. “A community is alive when it is poor, and its members feel they have to work together and remain united if only to ensure that they can all eat tomorrow!” – Jean Vanier
26. “Every community is called to be an instrument for the liberation and promotion of the poor.” – Jonathan Pryce
27. “No part of the human community can live entirely on its own planet, with its own laws of motion and cut off from the rest of humanity.” – Hugo Chavez
28. “It is vain to talk of the interest of the community, without understanding what is the interest of the individual.” – Jeremy Bentham
29. “A true community is not just about being geographically close to someone or part of the same social web network. It’s about feeling connected and responsible for what happens. Humanity is our ultimate community, and everyone plays a crucial role.” – Yehuda Berg
Community Quotes That’ll Lead To Positive Change
30. “Community is a context and can either facilitate or inhibit the movement of change for the individual.” – Sharon Weil
31. “Community living is about having the same rights and choices as everyone else.” – Ari Ne’eman
32. “There is no power for change greater than a community discovering what it cares about.” – Margaret J. Wheatley
Community Quotes to Show the Importance of Unity and Responsibility
33. “In our community, we have a duty to strengthen the weakest among us to build a better society.” – Bill Courtney
34. “A community that is engaged and working together can be a powerful force.” – Idowu Koyenikan
35. “This world of ours must avoid becoming a community of dreadful fear and hate, and be, instead, a proud confederation of mutual trust and respect.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower
36. “It is not more bigness that should be our goal. We must attempt, rather, to bring people back to the warmth of community, to the worth of individual effort and responsibility, and of individuals working together as a community, to better their lives and their children’s future.” – Robert F. Kennedy
37. “Well, it seems to me that all real communities grow out of a shared confrontation with survival. Communities are not produced by sentiment or mere goodwill. They grow out of a shared struggle. Our situation in the desert is an incubator for the community.” – Larry Harvey
More Community Quotes for a Better Future
38. “Community is an expression of fragmentation of society and is forever in tension with it but at the same time cannot exist without it.” – Gerard Delanty
39. “The real existing community is a besieged fortress defending itself against the outside world.” – Gerard Delanty
40. “A community best serves itself when it truly serves the awakening of the unique story trying to come to life through each person born.” – Michael Meade
Did These Community Quotes Help You Find Your Place in the World?
Community gives us a sense of belongingness. It is our connection with other people in society—friends, family, workmates, neighbors, and more. We may not all be connected by blood, but you can trust that people within your community will always have your back.
This sense of support and reliability makes us feel more confident. We never feel alone, and instead, we know that we can always reach out to others if we need help. In turn, as members of the community, we must also be ready to lend a helping hand.
Aside from this, being in a community makes us more adaptable and open to others’ contributions. Our differences become our strengths, and we make up for our weaknesses.
We hope this list was able to show you how important the link is between you and other people. Aside from giving you a sense of belongingness, communities make you realize that you have all the love and support of the people around you. The next time you feel alone, reread these community quotes and be reminded of just how much backing you have!