When you find it hard to express your emotions, read this list of crying quotes that’ll offer you comfort and peace.
Crying is viewed by many as a sign of weakness and defeat. However, it’s quite the opposite. Crying is the epitome of strength, and it shows the ability to be open and accepting of one’s emotions.
This is precisely why we must unlearn our negative mindset when it comes to crying. We should never be ashamed of what we’re feeling.
Whether we are happy, sad, scared, excited, or in pain, we must let out our emotions and not keep them buried inside us.
If we don’t do this, we will never learn to be at peace with ourselves, and, in turn, we will never truly live a happy life.
So, to help you with this journey, we’ve compiled some of the best crying quotes that’ll get you thinking.
Best Crying Quotes
1. “Crying doesn’t mean you’re weak. Sometimes it’s what you need to do to get strong again.” – J.W. Lynne
2. “Crying is cleansing. There’s a reason for tears—happiness or sadness.” – Dionne Warwick
3. “Do not apologize for crying. Without this emotion, we are only robots.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
4. “Crying is never a symbol of weakness. For the time we are born, it has always been a sign that we are alive.” – Anonymous
5. “God gave us crying so other folks could see when we needed help, and help us.” – Joshilyn Jackson
6. “Cry as much as you want to, but make sure when you’re finished, you never cry for the same reason again.” – Wiz Khalifa
7. “Sometimes things get so messed up, crying is the only thing you can do.” – Joe Connelly
8. “Crying is not a sign of weakness, and you can still get things done when you’re crying.” – John Preston
9. “When someone is crying, of course, the noble thing to do is to comfort them. But if someone is trying to hide their tears, it may also be noble to pretend you do not notice them.” – Lemony Snicket
Famous Crying Quotes
10. “If we can laugh, fine. And if we’ve got to cry, we’ve got to cry.” – Charles Bukowski
11. “Crying over what’s gone won’t find the present.” – Edwin Louis Cole
12. “To deny the cry in my soul is to deny the beating in my heart.” – Nikki Rosen
13. “Blood and tears are the same—both are the body’s way of crying for help.” – Jeremy Jenkins
14. “Life is an onion—you peel it year by year and sometimes cry.” – Carl Sandburg
15. “The soul would have no rainbow had the eyes no tears.” – John Vance Cheney
16. “People can cry much easier than they can change.” – James Baldwin
17. “Crying is the best thing in the world! A real man must cry really hard once in a lifetime!” – Sulev Nõmmik
Also read: Famous Quotes
Crying Quotes to Comfort You
18. “Crying is all right in its way while it lasts. But you have to stop sooner or later, and then you still have to decide what to do.” – C.S. Lewis
19. “Have a good cry, wash out your heart. If you keep it inside it’ll tear you apart. Sometimes you lose, but you’re gonna win if you just hang in.” – Dr. Hook
20. “Invisible tears are the hardest to wipe away. Just let it out, my friend.” – Terri Guillemets
21. “There is an ancient tribal proverb I once heard in India. It says that before we can see properly we must first shed our tears to clear the way.” – Libba Bray
22. “If somebody hurts you, it’s okay to cry a river, just remember to build a bridge and get over it.” – Taylor Swift
23. “Cry and let your tears flow for a brighter tomorrow. Rain falls because the clouds can no longer take its heaviness—just like our tears. It falls because the heart can no longer take the pain.” – Nitya Prakash
24. “Cry. Forgive. Learn. Move on. Let your tears water the seeds of your future happiness.” – Steve Maraboli
Short Crying Quotes You Can Relate To
25. “Those who do not weep, do not see.” – Victor Hugo
26. “Don’t cry over someone who wouldn’t cry over you.” – Lauren Conrad
27. “Crying is a natural response to pain.” – Jordan Roberts
28. “We need never be ashamed of our tears.” – Charles Dickens
29. “If you wish to cry, cry.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
30. “Let your tears come. Let them water your soul.” – Eileen Mayhew
31. “Crying relieves pressure on the soul.” – Toba Beta
32. “If you haven’t cried, your eyes can’t be beautiful.” – Sophia Loren
Crying Quotes for Everyone Who’s Been Hurt
33. “Heavy hearts, like heavy clouds in the sky, are best relieved by the letting of a little water.” – Antoine Rivarol
34. “Sometimes crying or laughing are the only options left, and laughing feels better right now.” – Veronica Roth
35. “Laugh till you weep. Weep till there’s nothing left but to laugh at your weeping. In the end, it’s all one.” – Frederick Buechner
36. “You know that a good, long session of weeping can often make you feel better, even if your circumstances have not changed one bit.” – Lemony Snicket
37. “Maybe that was why she couldn’t cry, she realized, staring dry-eyed at the ceiling. Because what was the point in crying when there was no one there to comfort you? And what was worse, when you couldn’t even comfort yourself?” – Cassandra Clare
Crying Quotes to Overcome Grief
38. “To weep is to make less the depth of grief.” – William Shakespeare
39. “Sometimes, when you lose—when people die—it is very hard to make tears. You feel like you want to make tears, but something inside you stops them, and they press on your chest. Like something sitting on it.” – Shruti Swami
40. “Just because you are not crying over a death of a loved one does not mean that is wrong. It is okay not to cry.” – Gina Schampers
41. “When someone is grieving, you don’t have to say anything. Just be present. Be non-judgmental. Let them cry, scream, or sit in silence. You don’t have to fix them.” – Dana Arcuri
42. “The whole point of crying was to quit before you cornied it up. The whole point of grief itself was to cut it out while it was still honest, while it still meant something. Because the thing was so easily corrupted, let yourself go, and you started embellishing your own sobs.” – Richard Yates
43. “Eventually, something you love is going to be taken away. And then you will fall to the floor crying.” – Richard Siken
Crying Quotes to Think About
44. “Crying has been found to bring significant emotional relief.” – John Preston
45. “If you’ve never eaten while crying, you don’t know what life tastes like.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
46. “Sometimes you cry, Susie, even when someone you love has been gone a long time.” – Alice Sebold
47. “Crying is a social signal that might elicit support from others.” – John Preston
48. “I didn’t know why I was going to cry, but I knew that if anybody spoke to me or looked at me too closely, the tears would fly out of my eyes, and the sobs would fly out of my throat, and I’d cry for a week.” – Slyvia Plath
Crying Quotes for Those in Relationships
49. “When a girl cries, few things are more worthless than a boy.” – Alexandra Bracken
50. “I’m not crying because of you; you’re not worth it. I’m crying because my delusion of who you were was shattered by the truth of who you are.” – Steve Maraboli
51. “Sometimes, crying is the only way your eyes speak when your mouth can’t explain how broken your heart is.” – Anonymous
52. “Crying? Yes. Women live in a storm of tears. They must breathe with gills—for a man chokes in all that salt water.” – Ingmar Bergman
Meaningful Crying Quotes That’ll Help You Embrace Your Feelings
53. “Watch a movie that makes you laugh or listen to a song that makes you cry. Embrace your emotions and be proud of what you feel.” – Demi Lovato
54. “At some point, I had to start laughing because I was all wrung out from crying.” – Julie Metz
55. “The worst type of crying wasn’t the kind everyone could see—the wailing on street corners, the tearing at clothes. No, the worst kind happened when your soul wept, and no matter what you did, there was no way to comfort it. A section withered and became a scar on the part of your soul that survived. For people like me and Echo, our souls contained more scar tissue than life.” – Katie McGarry
56. “When someone cries so hard that it hurts their throat, it is out of frustration or knowing that no matter what you can do or attempt to do can change the situation. When you feel like you need to cry, when you want to just get it out, relieve some of the pressure from the inside—that is true pain.” – Chase Brooks
More Crying Quotes That You Must Read Today
57. “Crying is the refuge of plain women but the ruin of pretty ones.” – Oscar Wilde
58. “Weeping is not the same thing as crying. It takes your whole body to weep, and when it’s over, you feel like you don’t have any bones left to hold you up.” – Sarah Ockler
59. “Cry on the world tragedies, cruelties, and injustice, how long and much you can, if you have the heart.” – Ehsan Sehgal
60. “Crying is right at hand in the smothering dark, closed inside someone else, when you see how everything you can ever accomplish will end up as trash.” – Chuck Palahniuk
Were These Quotes Able to Soothe and Comfort You?
The society we live in is so harsh that we’re pushed to hide behind certain masks. These masks not only hide our true selves but sometimes, they hide our true feelings as well. We’ve been trained to conform and never go against the status quo, which makes us keep our emotions to ourselves.
However, this practice is not healthy—both for you and for the relationships you’ve built with others. If we constantly hide our pain and never cry it out, we will never be truly open and honest with ourselves and our loved ones.
More than that, we must also not look at crying only as a sign of sadness. You can cry when you’re happy, too! Crying is just a tangible symbol of the emotions we’re feeling inside—happy or sad.
When you bottle up your emotions, and you feel like they’re ready to explode, just cry it out. Like the messages of the quotes we’ve gathered above, once you’ve released your emotions through your tears, you’ll undoubtedly feel renewed and refreshed. So, embrace your emotions and feel what you need to feel!