Let this collection of dance quotes inspire you to express yourself through the movement of your body.
Dancing is a form of art that uses the body as its medium. It is an effective tool for expressing our feelings that transcends beyond words.
After all, there will be times when we cannot use our voice as an outlet, especially when our emotions are deep inside our souls.
Moreover, dancing is a great way to improve our connection with our bodies. We get to know more about ourselves and get stronger mentally and physically while doing so.
If you need something that will motivate you to start dancing, then this collection is for you.
Check out the complete list below that will give you different perspectives on this beautifully expressive art.
Best Dance Quotes
1. “Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat, your breathing. It’s the rhythm of your life. It’s the expression in time and movement, in happiness, joy, sadness, and envy.” – Jacques d’Amboise
2. “Dance form is logical, but it is all in the realm of feeling, sensitivity, and imagination.” – Doris Humphrey
3. “There are shortcuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them.” – Vicki Baum
4. “Great dancers are not great because of their technique. They are great because of their passion.” – Martha Graham
5. “Dancing is surely the most basic and relevant of all forms of expression. Nothing else can so effectively give outward form to an inner experience.” – Lyall Watson
6. “To dance is to be out of yourself. Larger, more beautiful, more powerful. This is power, it is glory on earth, and it is yours for the taking.” – Agnes de Mille
7. “In a society that worships love, freedom, and beauty, dance is sacred. It is a prayer for the future, a remembrance of the past, and a joyful exclamation of thanks for the present.” – Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
8. “When I dance, I escape the present and become one with my soul.” – Normani Kordei Hamilton
9. “Dance is the hidden language of the soul.” – Martha Graham
Inspirational Dance Quotes
10. “Dancers don’t need wings to fly.” – Ali Salami
11. “This world we live in is the dance of the creator. Dancers come and go in the twinkling of an eye, but the dance lives on.” – Michael Jackson
12. “Dance every performance as if it were your last.” – Erik Bruhn
13. “Dancing is more than just moving body parts. It is a pathway of expressing your deepest inner thoughts.” – Normani Kordei
14. “Daily dance uplifts the soul to spiritual realms.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
15. “When you dance, your purpose is not to get to a certain place on the floor. It’s to enjoy each step along the way.” – Wayne Dyer
16. “I feel that the essence of dance is the expression of man—the landscape of his soul. I hope that every dance I do reveals something of myself or some wonderful thing a human can be.” – Martha Graham
17. “The dance is strong magic. The body can fly without wings. It can sing without voice.” – Pearl Primus
18. “Dance when you’re broken open. Dance if you’ve torn the bandage off. Dance in the middle of the fighting. Dance when you’re perfectly free.” – Jalaluddin Rumi
Short Dance Quotes That’ll Motivate You to Move Your Body
19. “Dancing is like dreaming with your feet!” – Constanze Mozart
20. “Dance is the joy of movement and the heart of life.” – Susan Joli
21. “The most essential thing in dance discipline is devotion.” – Merce Cunningham
22. “Dancing is silent poetry.” – Simonides of Ceos
23. “Dancers are the athletes of God.” – Albert Einstein
24. “Dancing is the poetry of the foot.” – John Dryden
25. “Any kind of dancing is better than no dancing at all.” – Lynda Barr
26. “Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.” – Anonymous
27. “Dance is the timeless interpretation of life.” – Shah Asad Rizvi
28. “Dancing is creating a sculpture that is visible only for a moment.” – Erol Ozan
29. “I think of dance as a constant transformation of life itself.” – Merce Cunningham
30. “When you dance, you can enjoy the luxury of being you.” – Paulo Coelho
31. “The dance is a poem of which each movement is a word.” – Mata Hari
32. “To watch us dance is to hear our hearts speak.” – Indian Proverb
Dance Quotes That Will Fuel Your Passion for Art
33. “You have to love dancing to stick to it. It gives you nothing back, no manuscripts to store away, no paintings to show on walls and maybe hang in museums, no poems to be printed and sold, nothing but that fleeting moment when you feel alive. It is not for unsteady souls.” – Merce Cunningham
34. “When I dance, I forget everything else and just feel completely happy.” – Katherine Jenkins
35. “Dance is for everybody. I believe that the dance came from the people and that it should always be delivered back to the people.” – Alvin Ailey
36. “We dance to seduce ourselves, to fall in love with ourselves. When we dance with another, we manifest the very thing we love about ourselves so that they may see it and love us too.” – Kamand Kojouri
37. “Dance enables you to find yourself and lose yourself at the same time.” – Peter Townsend
Dance Quotes to Get Your Groove On
38. “The dance can reveal everything mysterious that is hidden in music, and it has the additional merit of being human and palpable. Dancing is poetry with arms and legs.” – Charles Baudelaire
39. “Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire.” – George Bernard Shaw
40. “Dance is an art in space and time. The object of the dancer is to obliterate that.” – Merce Cunningham
41. “I see dance being used as communication between body and soul to express what is too deep to find for words.” – Ruth St. Denis
42. “Every dance you make belongs to you. It is part of your collection. When you think of it like that, you’ll want to make your next routine the best you’ve ever made!” – Torron-Lee Dewar
43. “Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals.” – Charles Baudelaire
44. “You dance love, and you dance joy, and you dance dreams. And I know if I can make you smile by jumping over a couple of couches or running through a rainstorm, then I’ll be very glad to be a song and dance man.” – Gene Kelly
Funny Dance Quotes
45. “Dance even if you have nowhere to do it but the living room.” – Kurt Vonnegut
46. “Almost nobody dances sober unless they happen to be insane.” – Howard Phillips Lovecraft
47. “Dancing is like bank robbery. It takes split-second timing.” – Twyla Tharp
48. “I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself.” – Mikhail Baryshnikov
49. “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
50. “Part of the joy of dancing is conversation. Trouble is, some men can’t talk and dance at the same time.” – Ginger Rogers
What Are Your Motivations for Dancing?
Dance is an enjoyable activity that everyone can do. But, at the same time, it is a form of art that contains depth and meaning that can translate what is really in our hearts.
Moving our bodies to the rhythm of the music will always be a pleasant and fun experience. No matter how unskilled and uncoordinated our bodies are, dancing will always make us feel good enough to forget our worries in life temporarily.
Maybe the reason why many people like to dance is that it is uplifting and healing. So, whenever you feel like the world is too harsh and life is too tough, don’t hesitate to play some music and dance the night away. Learn from this list and find inspiration to express yourself through your body.
Which dance quote is your favorite? Do you enjoy dancing? We’d love to hear from you in the comments section below.