Workout quotes are a great source of inspiration whenever you need to get yourself moving!
The busyness of our jobs, family commitments, and relationships can make us feel that we have no time left for ourselves.
But, it’s important to remember that no matter how busy the day gets, we should always take some time to unwind and do something we enjoy. After all, self-love is vital for our well-being as well.
One good way of practicing self-love is by working out. There might be times when you feel lazy and think that you’ll better enjoy spending your extra time lying in bed.
But, take this list as a sign to change your mindset and remember that a workout can positively change the rest of your day and mood.
Read through the quotes we’ve gathered below and find all the motivation you need to start your journey toward a more active life.
List down your favorites, and make sure you practice hard to live by them!
Best Workout Quotes
1. “Definition of a really good workout: when you hate doing it, but you love finishing it.” – Anonymous
2. “I don’t count my sit-ups. I only start counting when it starts hurting because they’re the only ones that count.” – Muhammad Ali
3. “A good workout is when you make your dry fit shirt look like false advertising.” – Anonymous
4. “Exercise is like telling your body, ‘You’re gonna hate me for this, but you’ll thank me later.’” – Anonymous
5. “The hard part isn’t getting your body in shape. The hard part is getting your mind in shape.” – Anonymous
6. “Fitness is not about being better than someone else. It’s about being better than you used to be.” – Khloe Kardashian
7. “Don’t train to be skinny. Train to be a badass.” – Demi Lovato
8. “To enjoy the glow of good health, you must exercise.” – Gene Tunney
9. “The real workout starts when you want to stop.” – Ronnie Coleman
10. “Once you are exercising regularly, the hardest thing is to stop it.” – Erin Gray
Famous Workout Quotes
11. “A one-hour workout is 4% of your day. No excuses.” – Anonymous
12. “Making excuses burns zero calories per hour.” – Anonymous
13. “The only bad workout is the one that didn’t happen.” – Anonymous
14. “Sweat is magic. Cover yourself in it daily to grant your wishes.” – Anonymous
15. “Exercise is king. Nutrition is queen. Put them together and you’ve got a kingdom.” – Jack LaLanne
16. “If you aren’t hurting after a good workout then obviously you haven’t done something right.” – Mark W. Boyer
17. “If you don’t make time for exercise, you’ll probably have to make time for illness.” – Robin Sharma
18. “The mind is the most important part of achieving any fitness goal. Mental change always comes before physical change.” – Matt McGorry
Inspirational Workout Quotes
19. “I will beat her. I will train harder. I will eat cleaner. I know her strengths. I’ve lost to her before but not this time. She is going down. I have the advantage because I know her well. She is the old me.” – Anonymous
20. “Look in the mirror. That’s your competition.” – John Assaraf
21. “Remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day. Work hard, good results will come.” – Anonymous
22. “The deadlift also serves as a way to train the mind to do things that are hard.” – Mark Rippetoe
23. “Your body can stand almost anything. It’s your mind that you have to convince.” – Anonymous
24. “One of the greatest moments is realizing that two months ago, your body couldn’t do what it just accomplished.” – Anonymous
25. “The body achieves what the mind believes.” – Anonymous
Motivational Workout Quotes to Help You Stick to a Fitness Routine
26. “Push yourself because no one else is going to do it for you.” – Anonymous
27. “You don’t have to be extreme, just consistent.” – Anonymous
28. “What seems impossible today will one day become your warm-up.” – Anonymous
29. “Most people fail, not because of lack of desire, but because of lack of commitment.” – Vince Lombardi
30. “Willpower is like a muscle—the more frequently you train it, the stronger it gets.” – Anonymous
31. “These next few months will go by, whether you workout or not.” – Anonymous
32. “Bodybuilding is much like any other sport. To be successful, you must dedicate yourself 100% to your training, diet, and mental approach.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
33. “Put all excuses aside and remember this: you are capable.” – Zig Ziglar
34. “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.’” – Muhammad Ali
35. “The pain you feel today will be the strength you feel tomorrow.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
Short Workout Quotes That’ll Energize You
36. “No pain, no gain. Shut up and train.” – Anonymous
37. “Train insane or remain the same.” – Anonymous
38. “Suck it up. And one day you won’t have to suck it in.” – Anonymous
39. “Someone busier than you is working out right now.” – Anonymous
40. “Don’t wish for a good body, work for it.” – Anonymous
41. “Exercise is labor without weariness.” – Samuel Johnson
42. “Sticks and stones may break my bones but squats will make me badass.” – Anonymous
43. “You can throw in the towel, or you can use it to wipe the sweat off your face.” – Anonymous
44. “Excuses don’t get results.” – Anonymous
45. “Sweat is fat crying.” – Anonymous
46. “Physical fitness is the first requisite of happiness.” – Joseph Pilates
Workout Quotes and Captions for Instagram
47. “Good things come to those who sweat.” – Anonymous
48. “Hustle for that muscle.” – Anonymous
49. “Keep your squats low and your standards high.” – Anonymous
50. “Wake up. Work out. Look hot. Kick ass.” – Anonymous
51. “Sore. The most satisfying pain.” – Anonymous
52. “Three months from now, you will thank yourself.” – Anonymous
53. “You are one workout away from a better mood.” – Anonymous
54. “One workout at a time. One meal at a time. One day at a time.” – Anonymous
55. “The difference between try and triumph is a little ‘umph.’” – Anonymous
Workout Quotes for Fitness Enthusiasts
56. “No matter how slow you go, you’re still lapping everyone on the couch.” – Anonymous
57. “The hardest lift of all is lifting your butt off the couch.” – Anonymous
58. “If you still look good at the end of your workout, you didn’t train hard enough.” – Anonymous
59. “Less sugar, more fruit. Less soda, more water. Less driving, more walking. Less worry, more sleep. Less words, more action.” – Anonymous
60. “Seventy percent of people that start a fitness plan quit. Except you. Not this time.” – Anonymous
61. “The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides a champion from someone who is not a champion.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
62. “The gym is not the social club for the fit. It’s a training ground for everyone.” – Anonymous
Workout Quotes That’ll Get You Moving
63. “Increased physical activity enhances positive energy.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
64. “When it comes to eating right and exercising, there is no, ‘I’ll start tomorrow.’” – VL Allineare
65. “The purpose of training is to tighten up the slack, toughen the body, and polish the spirit.” – Morihei Ueshiba
66. “Number one, like yourself. Number two, you have to eat healthy. And number three, you’ve got to squeeze your buns. That’s my formula.” – Richard Simmons
67. “We do not stop exercising because we grow old—we grow old because we stop exercising.” – Dr. Kenneth Cooper
More Workout Quotes
68. “Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity.” – John F. Kennedy
69. “If we could give every individual the right amount of nourishment and exercise, not too little and not too much, we would have found the safest way to health.” – Hippocrates
70. “I wanted to get really fit. I wanted to lose some weight. So I’ve been doing Pilates and yoga, trying to lean out my body so I won’t be bulky.” – Serena Williams
Are You Ready to Start and Stick to a New Workout Routine?
Starting your fitness journey can be intimidating and, at times, even daunting for some. There’s no denying that it will be extremely tough and mentally challenging initially. But, if you stick to it, at some point, you’ll realize how big of an improvement there is compared to the first day.
Besides, remember that no matter how physically painful workouts might be, the pros will always outweigh the cons. First off, exercising boosts our mood and energy levels. Endorphins—also called feel-good chemicals—are released whenever we workout, raising our happiness level in the most scientifically proven sense.
Of course, let’s not forget about weight loss and a healthy lifestyle. By being active, we burn extra fat and instead build more muscles. Though it’s just one of many benefits, weight loss is one of the main reasons behind people’s drive to work out.
If you’re hesitant to start on your own, workouts can be a fun social activity, too! Bring your friends along with you, or better yet, meet new people at the gym with the same goals and interests as you!
We hope this collection of workout quotes was able to bring out your desire to start working toward a more fit lifestyle. Bookmark this list so you have something to look back on whenever you need advice or an extra push!
Have you started your fitness journey? What do you love most about working out? We’d love to hear about your thoughts, so comment below.