Life can be a scary adventure, so if you need a hit of courage, check this list of our favorite Enola Holmes quotes!
Enola Holmes is a 2020 Netflix movie that zooms in on Sherlock Holmes’s sister, mother, and the rest of his family. If you haven’t watched it yet, you’ll be glad to know that more than mysteries and sleuths, the movie also dived into personal and social challenges that are present until now.
The plot focuses on Enola Holmes, a young English girl who left home to find her missing mother. She met foes and faced many obstacles along the road. But more than that, her journey was one of finding herself, gaining self-esteem and courage, and opening a discussion on feminism and politics.
If you want adventure, drama, comedy, and mystery, then Enola Holmes has everything you need! Revisit some of the movie’s most iconic lines in the list below.
Let’s start here.
Best Enola Holmes Quotes
1. “Mother believed privacy was the highest virtue and the one most frequently violated.” – Enola
2. “She was not an ordinary mother. She didn’t teach me to string seashells, or practice embroidery, we did different things. Reading, science, sports, all sorts of exercise, both physical and mental.” – Enola
3. “It seems if you want a job done, you have to do it yourself.” – The Dowager
4. “Try to be excited, not disappointed at the possibilities of something new.” – Eudoria
5. “It is good to care for the vulnerable, but not if it means risking your life. Sometimes you have to let nature take its course.” – Eudoria
6. “I realized I was scared. Scared I would hate every second of the rest of my life.” – Lord Viscount Tewksbury
7. “It’s always there. The truth, you just need to look for it.” – Sherlock
8. “Look for what’s there, not what you want to be there.” – Sherlock
9. “Facts don’t distract from hope.” – Enola
Inspiring Enola Holmes Quotes for Every Young Girl
10. “The choice is always yours. Whatever society may claim, it can’t control you. As mother has proven.” – Sherlock
11. “They’ll come a time when you have to make a hard choice and, in that moment, you will discover what mettle you truly have, and what you’re prepared to risk, for what matters. Your move Enola.” – Eudoria
12. “If you want to stay in London, be tough, be tough, live the life, but don’t do it because you’re looking for someone. Do it because you’re looking for yourself.” – Edith
13. “I must become something unexpected.” – Enola
14. “I was taught to watch and listen. I was taught to fight. This is what my mother made me for.” – Enola
15. “Mother said we were free to do anything at Ferndell and be anyone.” – Enola
16. “You have to make some noise if you want to be heard.” – Eudoria
17. “Paint your own picture, Enola. Don’t be thrown off course by other people. Especially men!” – Eudoria
18. “There are two paths you can take, Enola. Yours or the path others choose for you.” – Eudoria
Enola Holmes Quotes That Tackle Apathy and Social Change
19. “Politics doesn’t interest you because you have no interest in changing a world that suits you so well.” – Edith
20. “Every vote counts.” – Enola
21. “I thought I was the one that was going to change the world. The reform bill, is it true what you did? What a woman you’ve become.” – Eudoria
22. “You see the world so closely, but do you see how it’s changing?” – Edith
23. “I am a detective, I am a decipherer, and I am a finder of lost souls. My life is my own. And the future is up to us.” – Enola
24. “God help us. If there’s one thing this country doesn’t need, it’s more uneducated voters.” – Mycroft
25. “You don’t know what it is to be without power.” – Edith
Interesting Enola Holmes Quotes to Give You an Idea About Sleuths
26. “When looking to travel incognito, it’s safest to travel as a widow. People are always anxious to avoid conversations about death. Widows scare them and there’s no better disguise than fear.” – Enola
27. “The way a person stands may disguise who they are.” – Sherlock
28. “It’s time for phase five of my plan or possibly phase four or possibly phase six. I’ve entirely lost count.” – Enola
29. “The only advice I can give you, one detective to another, sometimes you must dangle your feet in the water in order to attract the sharks.” – Sherlock
Enola Holmes Quotes to Help You Embody Strength and Independence
30. “I don’t want a husband.” – Enola
31. “I don’t need friends, I have my own company and I don’t need to go to your ridiculous school.” – Enola
32. “Being alone means you have to find your own path.” – Enola
Funny Enola Holmes Quotes That Will Make You Laugh
33. “A wild and dangerous woman brought up a wild child.” – Mycroft
34. “Oh, good God! Feminism. Perhaps she was mad or senile.” – Mycroft
35. “Please put the teapot down. In your hands, it is a mighty weapon.” – Sherlock
Sad Enola Holmes to Help You See Your Parents’ Value
36. “I don’t want a mystery, Sherlock. I want my mother back here, and my life as it was.” – Enola
37. “What makes you think that she wants to be found? Eudoria’s been hiding all her life. If she wants to stay hidden, she will.” – Edith
38. “I don’t know what she wanted me to be. She’s left me too.” – Enola
39. “She would continually tell me, ‘You’ll do very well on your own, Enola.’ and, yet, we were always together.” – Enola
40. “It was just the two of us, and it was wonderful.” – Enola
Are You Ready to Take Your Next Big Risk?
Enola Holmes is a movie that brought upon the hype and did not disappoint. The characters’ lines were funny and wise, and their adventures were exhilarating. Even the movie’s most serious scenes didn’t bore us, and it actually left an impact even after the movie was over.
Like her brother, Sherlock, Enola had a knack and interest for the mysterious and the unknown. She faced countless ups and downs on her journey to find the truth about her mother and family, but those experiences only made her want to achieve more.
Enola Holmes’s experiences are similar to what we go through in real life. We’ll face many unfathomable challenges in our journey toward growth, but do not be afraid. Instead, be excited about new possibilities and what lessons these challenges may bring you.
No doubt, the movie was able to teach us that it takes a lot of courage to live a life worth living. Many may try to bring us down, but remember the power you hold in yourself, and don’t be brought down by naysayers. Remember, failure is scary, but we should fear stagnancy most!
Which Enola Holmes quote is your favorite? Do you have other words of wisdom to share with young girls? Share your thoughts in the comment section below!