Here are Field of Dreams quotes that’ll take you back to the cornfields of Iowa!
Field of Dreams is a 1989 movie adaptation of the novel by W.P. Kinsella, Shoeless Joe. In the movie, we get to know Ray, a corn farmer in Iowa who feared achieving nothing in his life.
The story takes on a unique twist when he hears a voice telling him to build a baseball field while walking through the cornfields. According to it, baseball stars will appear in his field, and people will flock to Iowa.
Ray follows the voice he hears, meets many doubts, and even comes to a point where he wants to give up. It was a difficult time for him and his family, but his dreams and the voice’s prophecy soon came to life.
So, if you’re a baseball fan who loves sports-related movies, read on. We’ve got the best Field of Dreams quotes in this collection.
Best Field of Dreams Quotes
1. John Kinsella: “Is this heaven?”
Ray Kinsella: “It’s Iowa.”
John Kinsella: “Iowa? I could have sworn this was heaven.”
Ray Kinsella: “Is there a heaven?”
John Kinsella: “Oh yeah. It’s the place where dreams come true.”
Ray Kinsella: “Maybe this is heaven.”
2. “Go the distance.” – The Voice
3. “This field, this game: it’s a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again.” – Terence Mann
4. “If you build it, he will come.” – The Voice
5. “You know, we just don’t recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they’re happening. Back then, I thought, well, there’ll be other days. I didn’t realize that was the only day.” – Dr. Archibald Graham
6. “They’ll watch the game, and it’ll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they’ll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come, Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.” – Terence Mann
7. “Where did we come from? You wouldn’t believe how many guys wanted to play here. We had to beat ’em off with a stick!” – Joe Jackson
8. Annie Kinsella: “Hey, what if The Voice calls while you’re gone?”
Ray Kinsella: “Take a message.”
9. John Kinsella: “Well, good night, Ray.”
Ray Kinsella: “Good night, John. Hey—Dad? You wanna have a catch?”
John Kinsella: “I’d like that.”
10. Karin Kinsella: “Daddy?”
Ray Kinsella: “In a minute, Karin!”
Karin Kinsella: “There’s a man out there, on your lawn.”
Field of Dreams Quotes to Motivate You
11. Ray Kinsella: “I bet it’s good to be playing again, huh?”
Joe Jackson: “Getting thrown out of baseball was like having part of me amputated. I’ve heard that old men wake up and scratch itchy legs that have been dust for over 50 years. That was me. I’d wake up at night with the smell of the ballpark in my nose, the cool of the grass on my feet, the thrill of the grass.”
12. “Any game becomes important when you know and love the players.” – Joe Jackson
13. Joe Jackson: “What’s with the lights?”
Ray Kinsella: “Oh, all the stadiums have them now. Even Wrigley Field.”
Joe Jackson: “Makes it harder to see the ball.”
Ray Kinsella: “Yeah, well, the owners found that more people can attend night games.”
Joe Jackson: “Owners.”
14. “I’m 36 years old, I love my family, I love baseball, and I’m about to become a farmer. But until I heard The Voice, I’d never done a crazy thing in my whole life.” – Ray Kinsella
15. Ray Kinsella: “I did it all. I listened to the voices, I did what they told me, and not once did I ask what was in it for me.”
Joe Jackson: “What are you saying, Ray?”
Ray Kinsella: “I’m saying, what’s in it for me?”
16. Ray Kinsella: “The Voice is back.”
Annie Kinsella: “Oh, Lord. You’re supposed to build a football field now?”
17. Ray Kinsella: “So what do you want?”
Terence Mann: “I want them to stop looking to me for answers, begging me to speak again, write again, be a leader. I want them to start thinking for themselves. I want my privacy.”
Ray Kinsella: “No, I mean, what do you want?”
Terence Mann: “Oh. Dog and a beer.”
18. “This is my most special place in all the world, Ray. Once a place touches you like this, the wind never blows so cold again. You feel for it like it was your child.” – Dr. Archibald Graham
19. Dr. Archibald Graham: “Hey, ump, how ’bout a warning?”
Umpire: “Sure, kid. Watch out; you don’t get killed.”
20. Ray Kinsella: “Don’t we need a catcher?”
Joe Jackson: “Not if you get it near the plate, we don’t.”
Field of Dreams Quotes That’ll Shake the Hearts of Baseball Fans
21. “This is my corn. You people are guests in my corn.” – Ray Kinsella
22. “You build a baseball field, and you sit here and stare at nothing.” – Mark
23. “For it is money they have and peace they lack. – Terence Mann
24. “Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases, stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag. That’s my wish, Ray Kinsella. That’s my wish. And is there enough magic out there in the moonlight to make this dream come true?” – Dr. Archibald Graham
Great Field of Dreams Quotes to Read All Day
25. “Man, I did love this game. I’d have played for food money. It was the game—the sounds, the smells. Did you ever hold a ball or a glove to your face?” – Joe Jackson
26. “The only thing we had in common was that she was from Iowa, and I had once heard of Iowa.” – Ray Kinsella
27. “It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watch them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time, you don’t think much of it.” – Dr. Archibald Graham
28. “If you were married to me, you would kill me in my sleep.” – Annie Kinsella
29. “Terence Mann was a voice of reason during a time of great madness. He coined the phrase, ‘Make love, not war.’ Where others were chanting, ‘Burn, baby burn,’ he talked about love, and peace, and understanding. I cherished every one of his books, and I dearly wish he had written some more. And I think that if you had experienced even a little bit of the ‘60s, you might feel the same way too.” – Annie Kinsella
30. Ray Kinsella: “It was you—.”
Joe Jackson: “No, Ray. It was you.”
How Did Field of Dreams Change How You View Life and Your Goals?
Baseball and sports are etched into the very heart and core of Field of Dreams. However, one thing’s certain: its lessons and morals go beyond these.
The nuggets of wisdom we find in Field of Dreams can also be applied in real life! Its morals on second chances and taking a leap of faith are only two of many lessons everyone should remember.
Utilizing one’s second chances is an integral part of Field of Dreams. In the movie, Ray kept listening to others who were veering him away from his dreams, but time and time again, he was led back to his field; he was constantly given a second chance to do what was right and follow his heart.
Taking a leap of faith is another thing we should all keep in our hearts. We all have big dreams we want to accomplish, and sometimes, those dreams seem larger than life.
The only way to reach them and live a happy life is to have the courage to take a leap of faith in them, no matter how absurd they might seem to others. Put your heart into it, and you’ll soon succeed!
Field of Dreams is a movie rooted in baseball and sports. However, we hope that this collection was able to help you understand that it’s more than just that!