Read these 25 Gandalf quotes we’ve compiled if you want life-changing lessons from one of the wisest wizards who’s ever lived!
They say that wisdom comes with age, and this saying couldn’t be more true for Gandalf. According to him, his physical age is already around 24,000 years old. With all those years in his belt, Gandalf has undoubtedly seen and encountered countless ups and downs.
He’s one of the most powerful wizards and has wisdom beyond comparison. Gandalf could be unstoppable should he decide to take over the world. However, he remains humble, eager to learn, and prefers to relax.
Gandalf is patient, kind, and compassionate toward the weak. These qualities of his were never buried despite the great power he held. Perhaps this is also why a lot of people love him!
Read on if you want to learn more about Gandalf. You could also list down some words of wisdom from him that you can live by!
Start reading here.
Best Gandalf Quotes From the Movies
1. “All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us.” – Gandalf
2. “True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one.” – Gandalf
3. “The world is not in your books and maps. It is out there.” – Gandalf
4. “There is only one Lord of the Ring—only one who can bend it to his will, and he does not share power!” – Gandalf
5. “Saruman believes that it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I found it is the small things—everyday deeds of ordinary folk—that keep the darkness at bay, simple acts of kindness and love.” – Gandalf
6. “Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.” – Gandalf
7. “Death is just another path—one that we all must take. The gray rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.” – Gandalf
8. “A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.” – Gandalf
9. “Understand, Frodo—I would use this Ring from a desire to do good, but through me, it would wield a power too great and terrible to imagine!” – Gandalf
10. “Bilbo Baggins! Do not take me for some conjurer of cheap tricks! I am not trying to rob you! I’m trying to help you.” – Gandalf
Wise Gandalf Quotes to Revisit Your Favorite Scenes
11. “I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil.” – Gandalf
12. “There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil.” – Gandalf
13. “Home is now behind you; the world is ahead!” – Gandalf
14. “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light.” – Gandalf
15. “Courage will now be your best defense against the storm that is at hand-—that and such hope as I bring.” – Gandalf
Gandalf Quotes to Get To Know His Character Traits in the Trilogies
16. “Have patience. Go where you must go, and hope!” – Gandalf
17. “I did not give you that map and key for you to hold on to the past.” – Gandalf
18. “Others may contest your will when it is turned to madness and evil.” – Gandalf
19. “You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you.” – Gandalf
20. “It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt. We do not.” – Gandalf
More Gandalf Quotes for J.R.R. Tolkien Fans
21. “It is not the strength of the body, but the strength of the spirit.” – J.R.R. Tolkien, Author
22. “He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.” – J.R.R. Tolkien, Author
23. “‘Deep is the abyss that is spanned by Durin’s Bridge, and none has measured it,’ said Gimli. ‘Yet it has a bottom, beyond light and knowledge,’ said Gandalf.” – J.R.R. Tolkien, Author
24. “You cannot pass. I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass.” – J.R.R. Tolkien, Author
25. “‘I wish it need not have happened in my time,’ said Frodo. ‘So do I,’ said Gandalf, ‘And so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide.’” – J.R.R. Tolkien, Author
Would You Like to Go on an Adventure With Gandalf, Too?
Gandalf is a powerful wizard who guides Bilbo and Frodo Baggins in their quests. Both he and the stories he’s in are entirely fictional. However, years after the books and movies were released, we can say one thing for sure: Gandalf’s wisdom transcends screens and paper.
He is the immortal representation of Tolkien’s views on life, power, and responsibility. One of his most famous quotes goes, “Saruman believes that it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small things—everyday deeds of ordinary folk—that keep the darkness at bay, simple acts of kindness and love.”
Often, people believe that those with high positions in the government or businesses are the only ones who can truly affect the world. But, why should we allow that to be true? Each and every one of us holds power beyond comparison; we just have to know how to make it shine!
You are strong and capable and can change the world for the better! We might not have someone like Gandalf beside us every step of the way. However, we hope that this list of his best quotes was enough to help you believe in yourself more!