If you’re a fan of anything involving The Lord of the Rings, this list of Samwise Gamgee quotes will fit right up your alley!
Samwise Gamgee is the Hobbit accompanying Frodo on his quest to destroy the One Ring. This is such a big task for such a small creature. Additionally, many would describe Sam as shy and socially awkward.
Given his personality, it’s somewhat of a surprise that he stuck with Frodo through all the ups and downs of his journey. By doing so, he improved himself and displayed bravery, loyalty, and cleverness.
Without Sam and his support, there’s no doubt that Frodo wouldn’t have reached his destination. If you want to know more about one of the most loyal Hobbits in Middle-earth, read on. We’ve compiled the best Samwise Gamgee quotes for you!
Best Samwise Gamgee Quotes From the Movies
1. “There’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for.” – Samwise Gamgee
2. “I can’t carry it for you, but I can carry you.” – Samwise Gamgee
3. “It’s the job that’s never started as takes longest to finish.” – Samwise Gamgee
4. “If I take one more step, it will be the furthest away from home I’ve ever been.” – Samwise Gamgee
5. “I know. It’s all wrong. By rights, we shouldn’t even be here. But we are. It’s like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.” – Samwise Gamgee
6. “Books ought to have good endings. How would this do: and they all settled down and lived together happily ever after?” – Samwise Gamgee
7. “I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise. Don’t you leave him, Samwise Gamgee. And I don’t mean to. I don’t mean to.” – Samwise Gamgee
8. Gandalf: “What did you hear? Speak.”
Samwise Gamgee: “N—nothing important. That is, I heard a good deal about a ring, and a Dark Lord, and something about the end of the world, but—please, Mr. Gandalf, sir, don’t hurt me. Don’t turn me into anything unnatural.”
9. “I wonder if people will ever say, ‘Let’s hear about Frodo and the Ring.’ And they’ll say ‘Yes, that’s one of my favorite stories. Frodo was really courageous, wasn’t he, Dad?’ ‘Yes, my boy, the most famousest of hobbits. And that’s saying a lot.’” – Samwise Gamgee
Samwise Gamgee Quotes That’ll Take You Back to the Lord of the Rings Trilogy
10. “I’m coming, Mr. Frodo.” – Samwise Gamgee
11. “Mr. Frodo’s not going anywhere without me!” – Samwise Gamgee
12. “Do you remember the Shire, Mr. Frodo? It’ll be spring soon. And the orchards will be in blossom. And the birds will be nesting in the hazel thicket. And they’ll be sowing the summer barley in the lower fields, and eating the first of the strawberries with cream. Do you remember the taste of strawberries?” – Samwise Gamgee
13. Frodo Baggins: “Go back, Sam! I’m going to Mordor alone.”
Samwise Gamgee: “Of course you are, and I’m coming with you!”
14. “Po-tay-toes! Boil ’em, mash ’em, stick ‘em in a stew. Lovely big golden chips with a nice piece of fried fish.” – Samwise Gamgee
15. “Let him go, you filth! Let him go! You will not touch him again!” – Samwise Gamgee
Samwise Gamgee Quotes to Make You Want to Watch the Movies Again
16. “That’s for Frodo! And for the Shire! And that’s for my old Gaffer!” – Samwise Gamgee
17. “Well, sir, if I could grow apples like that, I would call myself a gardener. But it was the singing that went to my heart, if you know what I mean.” – Samwise Gamgee
18. “What a place! What a horrible place! Just let me get out of this boat, and I’ll never wet my toes in a puddle again, let alone a river!” – Samwise Gamgee
19. “You want to know what happened to Boromir? Do you want to know why your brother died? He tried to take the Ring from Frodo, after swearing an oath to protect him! He tried to kill him! The Ring drove your brother mad.” – Samwise Gamgee
20. “I wish I had never come here, and I don’t want to see no more magic” – Samwise Gamgee
More Samwise Gamgee Quotes From the Books
21. “What a tale we have been in, Mr. Frodo, haven’t we?” – J.R.R. Tolkien, Author
22. “And you’re with me. And the journey’s finished. But after coming all that way, I don’t want to give up yet. It’s not like me, somehow, if you understand.” – J.R.R. Tolkien, Author
23. “That’s the one place in all the lands we’ve ever heard of that we don’t want to see any closer, and that’s the one place we’re trying to get to! And that’s just where we can’t get, nohow.” – J.R.R. Tolkien, Author
24. “Don’t leave me here alone! It’s your Sam calling. Don’t go where I can’t follow! Wake up, Mr. Frodo! O wake up, Frodo, me dear, me dear. Wake up!” – J.R.R. Tolkien, Author
25. “‘We might try to hurt or frighten this tree, to begin with,’ said Sam fiercely. ‘If it don’t let them go, I’ll have it down, if I have to gnaw it.'” – J.R.R. Tolkien, Author
Do You Have a Friend Like Samwise Gamgee?
Samwise Gamgee is fiercely loyal, and we can see this trait of his shine throughout The Lord of the Rings. It is only through his unending support that Frodo can reach his goals. However, this did not come without a struggle on Sam’s part.
Going on the quest itself was already miles away from his comfort zone. Although that’s the case, Sam perseveres because he knows Frodo needs him. He promised himself that he wouldn’t leave Frodo no matter what, and he fulfilled that promise.
He was brave enough to face the unknown and clever enough to see possible dangers that would hinder him and Frodo from reaching their destination. And, no matter what kind of dangers and evils they saw and encountered, Sam remained firm in his decision to accompany Frodo until the end.
These things make Samwise Gamgee such an admirable character. He grew from his shyness and awkwardness into someone others could lean on. With that, we hope this list of his best quotes was able to inspire you to grow and improve to be more loyal and braver like him!