Read these Gollum quotes for precious lines that’ll take you back to Tolkien’s universe!
Gollum is an extremely iconic character in The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Most characters in Tolkien’s universe would describe him as a vile and evil creature who would lie, cheat, steal, and even murder. Because of this, viewers usually have a negative perception of his character.
However, Gollum is actually a vital character in the franchise because it is through him that we see the power of the One Ring. He’s a physical example of what power can do to someone. And, if you don’t know yet, Gollum is the corrupted persona of Sméagol.
He is undoubtedly one of the most interesting characters in the franchise. If you want to know more about him, read through our list of Gollum quotes below.
Best Gollum Quotes From the Movie Franchise
1. “They cursed us. Murderer, they called us. They cursed us and drove us away. And we wept, Precious, we wept to be so alone. And we only wish to catch fish so juicy and sweet. And we forgot the taste of bread, the sound of trees, the softness of the wind. We even forgot our own names. My Precious.” – Gollum
2. “Come on, Hobbits. Longways to go yet. Sméagol will show the way. Clever Hobbits, to climb so high! Mustn’t go that way! Mustn’t hurt the Precious!” – Gollum
3. “Sneaking? Sneaking? Fat Hobbit is always so polite. Sméagol shows them secret ways that nobody else could find, and they say, ‘Sneak!’ Sneak? Very nice friend. Oh, yes, my Precious. Very nice, very nice.” – Gollum
4. “She’s always hungry. She always needs to feed. She must eat. All she gets is nasty Orcses. And they doesn’t taste very nice, does they, Precious? No. Not very nice at all, my love.” – Gollum
5. “The Precious will be ours—once the Hobbitses are dead!” – Gollum
6. “Master carries heavy burden. Sméagol knows. Heavy, heavy burden. Fat one cannot know. Sméagol look after Master.” – Gollum
Gollum Quotes for Those Interested in His Role in the Movies
7. “It came to me. My own. My love. My own. My Precious.” – Gollum
8. Bilbo Baggins: “Why don’t we have a game of riddles?”
Gollum: “And if he loses? What then? Well if he loses Precious, then we eats it! If Baggins loses, we eats it whole!”
9. “Naughty little fly. Why does he cry? Caught in a web. Soon you’ll be eaten.” – Gollum
10. “Wake up. Wake up. Wake up, sleepies. We must go, yes, we must go at once.” – Gollum
11. “Never! Sméagol wouldn’t hurt a fly!” – Gollum
12. “Master betrayed us. Wicked. Tricksy. False. We ought to wring his filthy little neck. Kill him! Kill him! Kill them both. And then we take the Precious, and we be the master!” – Gollum
13. “Sméagol? No, no, not poor Sméagol. Sméagol hates nasty elf bread.” – Gollum
14. “Bagginses? What is a Bagginses, Precious?” – Gollum
Gollum Quotes From the Books That Are Truly Worth Your While
15. “Gollum’s eyes glinted. ‘He doesn’t know what we minds, does he, Precious?’” – J.R.R. Tolkien, Author
16. “Misery, misery! Hobbits won’t kill us, nice Hobbits.” – J.R.R. Tolkien, Author
17. “‘Stew the rabbits,’ squealed Gollum in dismay. ‘Spoil beautiful meat Sméagol saved for you, poor hungry Sméagol!’” – J.R.R. Tolkien, Author
18. “Sméagol promises to Precious, promises faithfully. Never come again, never speak, no, never!” – J.R.R. Tolkien, Author
19. “‘What have I got in my pocket?’ he said aloud. He was talking to himself, but Gollum thought it was a riddle, and he was frightfully upset. ‘Not fair! not fair!’ he hissed. ‘It isn’t fair, my Precious, is it, to ask us what it’s got in its nasty little pocketses?’” – J.R.R. Tolkien, Author
20. “Curse the Baggins! It’s gone! What has it got in its pocketses? Oh, we guess, we guess, my Precious. He’s found it, yes he must have.” – J.R.R. Tolkien, Author
More Gollum Quotes to Read Today if You Love J.R.R. Tolkien’s Works
21. “Sméagol will swear on the Precious.” – J.R.R. Tolkien, Author
22. “We like goblinses, batses, and fishes. But we hasn’t tried Hobbitses before. Is it soft? Is it juicy?” – J.R.R. Tolkien, Author
23. “‘Sméagol has to take what’s given to him,’ answered Gollum. ‘He was given that name by kind Master Samwise, the Hobbit that knows so much.’” – J.R.R. Tolkien, Author
24. “‘Not this way, master!’ he pleaded. ‘There is another way. Oh yes, indeed there is. Another way, darker, more difficult to find, more secret. But Sméagol knows it. Let Sméagol show you!’” – J.R.R. Tolkien, Author
25. “‘Precious, Precious, Precious!’ Gollum cried. ‘My Precious! Oh, my Precious!’ And with that, even as his eyes were lifted up to gloat on his prize, he stepped too far, toppled, wavered for a moment on the brink, and then with a shriek, he fell. Out of the depths came his last wail, ‘Precious,’ and he was gone.” – J.R.R. Tolkien, Author
What Was Your First Impression of Gollum?
Gollum is a scary representation of corruption. In Tolkien’s universe, he serves as a warning to all about what excessive power can do to a person. Sméagol’s very core was destroyed, and he was turned into something wretched and evil like Gollum.
Power is tempting; there’s no denying that fact. All the influence, money, and control you can gain are all advantages if one does not think deeply. However, when you’re faced with a choice of having power, make sure you don’t jump the gun.
Reflect and think about the possible consequences and responsibilities for which you’ll be held accountable. If you get blinded by power and don’t understand its pros and cons, then you might end up like Sméagol, who gets corrupted and turns into a creature like Gollum.
We hope we were able to give you a better understanding of Gollum beyond his role as an antagonist through this collection. Whenever you need reminders of the lessons you’ve learned from his mistakes, read our list from top to bottom again!