Let this list of Sweet Home Alabama quotes help you recall your old but sweet memories of your young love!
Some people believe that first love never dies. They say their first love is the best thing they ever experienced and that no one else could compare. But, this was seemingly the opposite of what Melanie Smooter felt about her first love in the movie, Sweet Home Alabama.
Melanie Smooter is engaged to the city’s most eligible bachelor, Andrew Hemmings. However, to make their marriage work, Melanie must return to her hometown in Alabama. This is because she needs to end things with Jake, her ex-husband, who refuses to divorce her.
After leaving for a few years, Melanie didn’t think she would have any problems when she returned to her hometown. She soon discovered that she could never have been more wrong. After all, you could take the girl out of the South, but she would always be a Southern girl at heart.
Sweet Home Alabama is no doubt a classic that you don’t want to miss out on. If you are curious about how their love story ended, keep reading to find out how it all turned out!
Continue reading below.
And don’t miss out these The Vow quotes.
Best Sweet Home Alabama Quotes
1. “You’re the first boy I ever kissed, Jake, and I want you to be the last.” – Melanie Smooter
2. “The truth is I gave my heart away a long time ago, my whole heart, and I never really got it back.” – Melanie Smooter
3. “Honey, just ‘cuz I talk slow doesn’t mean I’m stupid.” – Jake Perry
4. Melanie Smooter: “Why would you want to marry me for, anyhow?”
Jake Perry: “So I can kiss you anytime I want.”
5. “Nobody finds their soulmate when they’re 10. I mean, where’s the fun in that, right?” – Jake Perry
Sweet Home Alabama Quotes That Highlight the Movie’s Famous Lines
6. “You can’t ride two horses with one *ss, sugar bean.” – Earl Smooter
7. “You can take the girl out of the honky tonk, but you can’t take the honky tonk out of the girl.” – Bobby Ray
8. “I’ve never met anyone so manipulative, so deceitful, and I’m in politics.” – Mayor Kate Hennings
9. “You can’t have roots and wings.” – Jake Perry
10. “There is nothing wrong with poor people. I get elected by poor people.” – Mayor Kate Hennings
11. “What is it with you, Southern girls? You can’t make the right decisions until you’ve tried all the wrong ones.” – Jake Perry
12. Melanie Smooter: “Now, what kinda wife would I be if I didn’t pick up after my husband?”
Jake Perry: “The kind that doesn’t live here!”
Unforgettable Sweet Home Alabama Quotes for Fans of Romantic Comedies
13. Jake Perry: “The girl I knew used to be fearless.”
Melanie Smooter: “The girl you knew didn’t have a life.”
Jake Perry: “Guess you better get on with it then.”
14. Stella Kay: “You know, for someone who’s been holding onto something for so long, you’re pretty quick to let it go.”
Jake Perry: “I can’t control her any more than I can control the weather.”
15. Lurlynn: “It’s funny how things don’t turn out.”
Melanie Smooter: “It’s funny how they do.”
16. Melanie Smooter: “And, don’t even pretend like you missed me.”
Jake Perry: “Oh, I missed you, all right. But, at this range, my aim is bound to improve.”
Sweet Home Alabama Quotes to Make You Feel Emotional
17. Lurlynn: “You know he went up there?”
Melanie Smooter: “Who? Jake?”
Lurlynn: “I’m not supposed to know, but Clinton let it slip once.”
Melanie Smooter: “When?”
Lurlynn: “About a year after you left. He told Clinton he’d never seen anything like it. He knew that it would take more than an apology to get you back. He’d have to conquer the world first. He’s been trying ever since.”
Melanie Smooter: “That’s why he kept sending the papers back.”
18. “I don’t care about your past; all I want to know is if there’s a place for me in your future.” – Andrew Hennings
19. Melanie Smooter: “I forgot how beautiful it is around here.”
Bobby Ray: “Guess it doesn’t take much for you to forget a lot of things.”
Melanie Smooter: “Bobby Ray, it’s not like that.”
Bobby Ray: “No, I’ll tell you what it’s not like. It’s not like Jake’s the only one you run out on.”
Funny Sweet Home Alabama Quotes That Are Filled With Humor
20. Jake Perry: “You show up here, after seven years, without so much as a, ‘Hey there, Jake, remember me, your wife!’ or a, ‘Hi honey, lookin’ good. How’s the family?’”
Melanie Smooter: “You expect me to tell you to look good? What, did they run out of soap at the Piggly Wiggly since I left?”
21. Jake Perry: “Can I help you?”
Melanie Smooter: “Well, for starters, you can get your stubborn *ss down here and give me a divorce.”
Jake Perry: “Are you shittin’ me?”
Melanie Smooter: “I never fully understood that expression, but no, I am not sh*tting you.”
22. “Well, you must be Jake’s hot date. I’m Melanie, Jake’s snotty Yankee b*tch wife whom he refuses to divorce even though I’m engaged to another man.” – Melanie Smooter
More Sweet Home Alabama Quotes That’ll Get Stuck in Your Head All Day
23. Mayor Kate Hennings: “One down, a six million to go.”
Earl Smooter: “Careful, you just killed the state bird of Alabama!”
24. “My life in New York works, Jake. But then I come down here, and this fits too.” – Melanie Smooter
25. “I better have my lawyer take a look at these. I’m just a simple country boy. There are all kinds of big words in here I can’t even pronounce. Hell, you might be takin’ me to the cleaners for all I know.” – Jake Perry
Do You Also Believe That First Love Never Dies?
Your first love is the person you never really forget. You may love other people after him or her, but they’ll always have a special space in your heart.
This is why Melani and Jake’s love story is so relatable and relevant, even years after Sweet Alabama’s initial release. Our two lovebirds prove that if people are meant to be together, they will end up together.
No matter how many years have passed, their feelings for each other remain strong. Even though Melanie doesn’t realize it at first, Jake does not give up on her and still finds a way to make their relationship work again. That’s why, in the end, they can find their way back to each other.
Like Melanie and Jake, the love you will be experiencing in the future can be tested by many factors. But, if both of you remain strong, you will get through any rough patches your relationship may have. It may not be easy, but if you both want it badly enough, it’s worth fighting for.
Love will always find its way back to you. With that, we hope these Sweet Home Alabama quotes were able to help you rekindle your faith in love. Always remember to follow your heart so you can live a happy life!