If you ever feel like there’s no longer a chance to fulfill your dreams, read this list of The Replacements quotes to rekindle your hope and aspirations!
In this movie based on the real-life story of the 1987 NFL strike, the Washington Sentinels have gone on strike while the playoffs are fast approaching. As a solution, the owner brings in the legendary coach, Jimmy McGinty, to recruit replacement players in one week.
To do this, he pulls together players whose careers went down but who have the potential to become the winning team. Fortunately, this becomes this mismatched group’s second chance at success.
The Replacements shows us that it’s never too late to work on whatever we want to achieve. That is why we’ve listed our favorite quotes from the movie to inspire you!
Check out the complete list below.
And make sure to read these Space Jam quotes.
Best The Replacements Quotes
1. “A real man admits his fears. That’s what I’m asking you to do here tonight. Fears—let’s talk about them.” – Coach Jimmy McGinty
2. Jimmy McGinty: “You know what separates the winners from the losers?”
Shane Falco: “The score.”
Jimmy McGinty: “No, getting back on the horse after getting kicked in the teeth.”
3. “I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn’t be our style. Pain heals, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever. It’s been an honor sharing the field of battle with you.” – Shane Falco
4. “You’re playing, and you think everything is going fine. Then one thing goes wrong. And then another. And another. You try to fight back, but the harder you fight, the deeper you sink. Until you can’t move—you can’t breathe—because you’re in over your head. Like quicksand.” – Shane Falco
5. “These are people I’ve been keeping my eye on over the years. They all played football somewhere, not all of them in the pros, but they all have something unique to bring to the game. We’re going to try to get these people together and try to put together a winning team. If nothing else, they should be fun to watch.” – Coach Jimmy McGinty
6. Shane Falco: “Hey coach, can I ask you a question?”
Coach Jimmy McGinty: “Yeah, shoot.”
Shane Falco: “Why me?”
Coach Jimmy McGinty: “I look at you, and I see two men: the man you are and the man you ought to be. Someday those two will meet. Should make for a hell of a football player.”
7. “Listen up! This time tomorrow, the strike will be officially over. Now Dallas has made a big mistake out there tonight. They haven’t been afraid of you, and they should be because you have a powerful weapon working for you tonight: There is no tomorrow for you—and that makes you all very dangerous people!” – Coach Jimmy McGinty
The Replacements Quotes to Inspire You
8. “The truth is, you guys have been given something that every athlete dreams of—a second chance. And you’re afraid of blowing it. We all are. But now our fear is shared, and we can overcome it together.” – Coach Jimmy McGinty
9. Edward O’Neil: “Give me a cigarette.”
Coach Jimmy McGinty: “I quit.”
Edward O’Neil: “Nobody likes a quitter, Jimmy.”
10. “You know, there’s a rule in sports, ‘Don’t do anything great if you can’t handle the congratulations.’” – John Madden
11. “When the replacement players for the Washington Sentinels left the stadium that day, there was no ticker tape parade, no endorsement deals for sneakers or soda pop, or breakfast cereal. Just a locker to be cleaned out and a ride home to catch. But what they didn’t know was that their lives had been changed forever because they had been part of something great. And greatness, no matter how brief, stays with a man. Every athlete dreams of a second chance; these men lived it.” – Coach Jimmy McGinty
12. Eddie Martel: “Nobody can beat Dallas with these losers!”
Shane Falco: “I can.”
13. Shane Falco: “I want the ball.”
Coach Jimmy McGinty: “Winners always do.”
The Replacements Quotes for Fans of the Movie
14. Coach Jimmy McGinty: “Falco! If I had wanted Cochran to have the ball I would’ve called it that way!”
Shane Falco: “I read blitz.”
Coach Jimmy McGinty: “Bullshit! I put the game in your hands—you got scared.”
Shane Falco: “I read blitz.”
Coach Jimmy McGinty: “Winners always want the ball—when the game is on the line.”
15. Eddie Martel: “This doesn’t change anything, Falco! I’m still an All-Pro quarterback with two Superbowl rings. You’ll never be anything more than a replacement player.”
Shane Falco: “Yeah. Yeah, I can live with that.”
16. Coach Jimmy McGinty: “Falco, it’s nasty out there.”
Shane Falco: “That’s why girls don’t play the game, coach.”
More The Replacements Quotes That Are Worthy of Your Attention
17. Clifford Franklin: “Coach, ain’t that stuff illegal?”
Coach Jimmy McGinty: “What are they going to do? Put you in football jail?”
18. John Madden: “I love to see a fat guy score.”
Pat Summerall: “Why?”
John Madden: “Because first, you get a fat guy spike, then you get the fat guy dance.”
19. Coach Jimmy McGinty: “Danny, I need that ball.”
Daniel Bateman: “You need the ball.”
Coach Jimmy McGinty: “Get me the ball.”
Daniel Bateman: “Get your ball.”
Coach Jimmy McGinty: “Are you going to get me the ball? I sure hope he doesn’t kill somebody.”
20. Shane Falco: “You, ah, wanna come on board for a beer?”
Annabelle Farrell: “Nothing personal, Shane, but I don’t date football players.”
Shane Falco: “I don’t blame you. Not even quarterbacks?”
Annabelle Farrell: “Especially not quarterbacks. You guys are the biggest babies of all.”
Do You Have a Game Plan for Every Goal You Have?
For some people, one attempt at accomplishing their goal is enough. If they fail, they give up, lose hope, and think it’s not for them.
But, as we’ve learned from The Replacements, Shane Falco and the crew grabbed the opportunity to become great at football again. Their success, however, would not be possible if not for the teamwork and dedication that they have. Aside from that, they come prepared for every game and have a game plan for every match.
The same thing goes with our lives. If we want to reach our goals, we must plan how to achieve them and be committed. Failing a few times is part of the process; what matters most is we get up and not give up until we get what we want.
With that, we hope that this list of quotes was able to inspire you to work on your goals once more. The journey might be bumpy, but it will all be worth it in the end!