Read these unsupportive family quotes if you need a wake-up call that’ll help you move forward in life!
Everyone has heard people tell them that their families would be the ones to guide and support them as they sail through life. However, in some cases, people are not that lucky.
Instead of being born into a family that will never leave their side, they are born into a group of people who are more like strangers to them. Sadly, there are many unsupportive families out there.
They don’t have to negate your words outright for them to be considered an unsupportive family. Sometimes, they use subtle words or actions to discourage you from doing what you want or discovering who you are.
These people are not worth keeping in your life—even if they are related to you by blood. Never let disappointment take root in your heart!
Read the complete list below to help you gain the courage to move past disappointment and pain. We’ve created a collection of unsupportive family quotes just for you.
Most Heartbreaking Unsupportive Family Quotes
1. “Family is supposed to be there for you no matter what comes your way. Shame on the ones who are not; that’s not what family is all about.” – Anonymous
2. “Don’t worry about the family that ignores and acts like you don’t matter. Love the ones who are always there for you no matter what.” – Anonymous
3. “A person struggling for something because of the unsupportive family has greater value than a person with a supportive family—fact of life.” – Anonymous
4. “A big shout out to all the kids who grew up in an unsupportive family while they hear about another supportive family around them. You have a life worth living. You are strong and brave.” – Anonymous
5. “There is no room for unsupportive friends and family—only space for positivity.” – Anonymous
Quotes for Those Who Have No Support From Family
6. “Fielding unsupportive family pressure and stick to your healthy guns!” – Anonymous
7. “The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other’s life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.” – Richard Bach
8. “Family is where you’re meant to be most free. Don’t let blood chain you down.” – Anonymous
9. “Dear family, please continue to include me in your activities when it’s convenient for you, and then act confused and upset when I ignore you.” – Anonymous
10. “Family isn’t always blood. It’s the people in your life who want you in theirs—the ones who accept you for who you are.” – Anonymous
Quotes About Unsupportive Parents
11. “Shoutout to people who grew up with emotionally unsupportive parents and have to hear other people talk about how supportive their families are while you’re basically guiding yourself through life. You’re strong and brave.” – Anonymous
12. “A lack of support from those we love most can be hugely detrimental to our mental health.” – Anonymous
13. “Children betrayed their parents by becoming their own people.” – Leslye Walton
14. “Unfortunately, some family members are so psychotic that no matter how hard you try to forge a healthy relationship, nothing will help. Now that you’re an adult, take refuge in the fact that some things are beyond your control. You owe it to yourself to steer clear of people who are harmful to your health.” – Andrea Lavinthal
Unsupportive Family Quotes to Voice Out Your Disappointment
15. “I was born into this family, but all I got was hate in a place where I was supposed to get love and acceptance.” – Anonymous
16. “In my family, strangers are relatives.” – Kate Rockland
17. “Unhealthy families discourage individual expression.” – Susan Forward
18. “See, I think there are roads that lead us to each other. But in my family, there were no roads, just underground tunnels. I think we all got lost in those underground tunnels. No, not lost. We just lived there.” – Benjamin Alire Sáenz
19. “So you’re saying I have to like them because they’re family, but they treat me like shit? What planet did you come from again?” – Anonymous
20. “The only thing we had in common was DNA, which gave us limited mileage conversationally.” – Naoise Dolan
Unsupportive Family Quotes on Selfishness
21. “If the family you choose before your birth no longer supports your path towards fulfilling your true destiny, it is never too late to find a new tribe.” – Anthon St. Maarten
22. “Our family was stuck in a cosmic hamster wheel of toxic love—making the same mistakes, saying the same words, being hurt in the same ways generation after generation. I didn’t want to keep playing a role in this tragedy of errors.” – Yamile Saied Méndez
23. “Families must be built on love, trust, and acceptance, but dysfunctional families have no such traits, which is why they are what they are.” – Anonymous
24. “Dysfunctional families can’t give you love because love can’t come from people who don’t love themselves in the first place.” – Anonymous
Comforting Quotes to Read When Your Family Doesn’t Support You
25. “Set healthy boundaries with unsupportive people. Release hurts by forgiving, bless their hearts, and then bid farewell to them.” – Anonymous
26. “If you’re going home to an unsupportive family this holiday season, remember that your worth is not defined by what they say or how they treat you.” – Anonymous
27. “Cutting people off doesn’t have limits. Family can get cut off, too, if they are causing you stress. Eliminate any negativity in your circle.” – Anonymous
28. “It’s okay that you have an unsupportive family. It’s okay to feel at the bottom. But it’s not okay to decide to end your life because nobody can break you unless you break yourself. There might be many important events that you might miss. You might not have been made feel special at all, but it’s fine. The truth is you’re perfect.” – Anonymous
29. “You don’t get to choose your family, but you do get to choose how they’re allowed to treat you.” – Anonymous
More Unsupportive Family Quotes for Everyone Having a Hard Time
30. “One loyal friend is worth ten thousand relatives.” – Euripedes
31. “You have the right to put up a fence between you and your family, and the choice whether to include a gate.” – Anonymous
32. “Being genetically related doesn’t make you family. Love, support, trust, sacrifice, honesty, protection, acceptance, security, compromise, gratitude, respect, and loyalty are what makes your family.” – Anonymous
33. “I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people that make you feel all alone.” – Robin Williams
34. “A warm house does not always depend on its structures, but depends on the heat of relationship that all members have towards each other.” – Ky Vanchhay
35. “Just because someone is your family doesn’t mean you have to keep them around if they are toxic or abusive. Don’t let people guilt you.” – Winnie Nantongo
Do You Think Having an Unsupportive Family Is Detrimental to One’s Mental Health and Growth?
Life is a complex and tiring journey. So, we need people who will stand beside us as we navigate the seas of life’s highs and lows.
Unfortunately, there are times when the very people who are supposed to support and love us don’t. When there’s a lack of support from our family members, we feel held down and lost.
Additionally, when our family is not supportive, it will feel like we’re all alone while traversing life. However, even if you have an unsupportive family, remember that you are not less of a person; you are strong and brave and can move past your disappointment!
Love, care, and unending support are the things that make up a family. If you can’t find them in the current group of people you call a family, you better wake up, let go, and find a new tribe to be with.
Family doesn’t always have to be connected by blood or DNA. Sometimes, our friends can be more like our family than any other person in the world!
So, do not be discouraged if you grew up in an unsupportive family. You will succeed and find happiness if you are brave and believe in yourself!