Check these Walter Sobchak quotes and reflect on this character’s personality and how it affects you!
The Big Lebowski wouldn’t be the iconic cult classic it is now without Walter Sobchak. He’s The Dude’s best friend and teammate and a sucker for following rules.
His need to strictly follow the rules stems from being a Vietnam War veteran. In fact, Walter constantly references his time in Vietnam in many of his lines. No matter how unpredictable his actions and reactions may be, Walter Sobchak is still a beloved character from The Big Lebowski whom we can all learn from.
If you want to read his best lines and reminisce about his greatest scenes, read through to the end of this list. We’ve got the best of the best Walter Sobchak quotes just for you.
Best Walter Sobchak Quotes
1. “Life does not start and stop at your convenience, you miserable piece of sh*t.”
2. “Smokey, my friend, you are entering a world of pain.”
3. “Dude. Come on, you’re being very un-Dude.”
4. “Just because we’re bereaved, that doesn’t make us saps!”
5. “Goodnight, sweet prince.”
6. “Forget it, Donny, you’re out of your element!”
7. “Nobody is going to cut your dick off. Not if I have anything to say about it.”
8. “Nihilists! F*ck me. I mean, say what you want about the tenets of National Socialism, Dude; at least it’s an ethos.”
9. “This is not ‘Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.”
10. “This is what happens when you f*ck a stranger in the *ss, Larry!”
Iconic Walter Sobchak Quotes That You’ll Never Forget
11. “F*ck it, Dude. Let’s go bowling.”
12. “That rug really tied the room together, did it not?”
13. “You want a toe? I can get you a toe, Dude. There are ways. You don’t want to know about it, believe me.”
14. “Calmer than you are.”
15. “What the f*ck are you talking about? The Chinaman is not the issue here, Dude. I’m talking about drawing a line in the sand, Dude. Across this line, you do not. Also, Dude, Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.”
Walter Sobchak Quotes to Appreciate
16. “Look, without a hostage, there is no ransom. That’s what ransom is. Those are the f*cking rules!”
17. “You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in ‘Nam, of course.”
18. “The man in the black pajamas, Dude. Worthy f*ckin’ adversary.”
19. “So what are you saying? When you get divorced you turn in your library card? You get a new license? You stop being Jewish?”
20. “Shut the f*ck up, Donny! V.I. Lenin. Vladimir Illanich Uleninov!”
More Walter Sobchak Quotes for Fans of The Big Lebowski
21. “Saturday, Donny, is Shabbos, the Jewish day of rest. That means that I don’t work, I don’t drive a car, I don’t f*cking ride in a car, I don’t handle money, I don’t turn on the oven, and I sure as sh*t don’t f*cking roll!”
22. “Also, Dude, let’s not forget—let’s not forget that keeping wildlife—um—an amphibious rodent, for, um, you know, domestic—within the city—that ain’t legal either.”
23. “I think it’s Pomeranian. I’m watching it while Cynthia and Marty Ackerman are in Hawaii.”
24. “I’m saying, I see what you’re getting at, Dude. He kept the money. My point is, here we are; it’s Shabbos, the sabbath, which I’m allowed to break only if it’s a matter of life or death.”
25. Walter Sobchak: “Those rich f*cks! This whole f*cking thing—I did not watch my buddies die face down in the muck so that this f*cking strumpet.”
The Dude: “I don’t see any connection to Vietnam, Walter.”
Walter Sobchak: “Well, there isn’t a literal connection, Dude.”
Is Walter Sobchak One of Your Favorite Characters From The Big Lebowski?
The Big Lebowski has got a great mix of characters in it. Through the movie, we come to know one of the most iconic characters, Walter Sobchak. Many would describe him as someone aggressive, stubborn, and a big believer that all rules must be followed.
Because of this trait of his, he even went as close as threatening Smokey, one of the other characters they played a bowling match with, with a pistol because he cheated. His reaction might be slightly extreme, but it speaks volumes about his moral character.
This specific lesson shouldn’t just be applied in bowling alleys or sports. Rules are there for a reason, and we should adhere to them, especially if they directly influence another person’s life.
Rules are present in our society to keep order and to veer us away from chaos. If we let ourselves do whatever we want, void of rules and regulations, our world would only be disorderly.
With that, we hope this list of Walter Sobchak quotes was able to give you a whole new understanding of his character. Keep this collection in your bookmarks so you can quickly review some lessons on following rules and keeping order!