Learn about the pain people go through behind closed doors through these All the Bright Places quotes!
Most young adult novels we’re used to are sweet and sappy. However, it’s more than just a love story for Theodore Finch and Violet Markey in All the Bright Places.
In this novel, Jennifer Niven talks about her experiences of love and loss through the two characters she created. For her, it’s all about feeling all the emotions you can feel while in love and learning how to grieve in your own way.
All the Bright Places zooms in on two teenagers: Theodore and Violet. Both struggle to live past their traumas, and together, they discover that the little things in life are worth more than anything else.
While they learn to fall in love, they also get a better handle on coping with loss and death. Loss, depression, and mental health are all topics discussed in All the Bright Places.
If you’re curious about what Theodore and Violet learned, read on. We’ve got the best quotes from the book and its movie adaptation!
Best All the Bright Places Quotes
1. “You’ve got at least a thousand capacities in you. Even if you don’t think so.” – Theodore Finch
2. “You are all the colors in one, at full brightness.” – Jennifer Niven, Author
3. “I don’t need to worry that Finch and I never filmed our wanderings. It’s okay that we didn’t collect souvenirs or that we never had time to pull it all together in a way that made sense to anyone else but us. The thing I realize is that it’s not what you take, but it’s what you leave.” – Jennifer Niven, Author
4. “We do not remember days; we remember moments.” – Jennifer Niven, Author
5. “When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don’t seem to matter very much, do they?” – Jennifer Niven, Author
6. “There are places that need to be seen. Maybe even the smallest of places can mean something. At the very least, maybe they can mean something to us.” – Theodore Finch
7. “The problem with people is they forget that most of the time it’s the small things that count.” – Jennifer Niven, Author
8. “There aren’t many people who would say this about me, but the great thing about this life is that you can be someone different from everybody.” – Theodore Finch
9. “Sometimes, there’s beauty in the tough words—it’s all in how you read them.” – Jennifer Niven, Author
10. “Theodore Finch, I was alive. I burned brightly, and then I died, but not really. Because someone like me cannot—will not—die like everyone else. I linger like the legends of the Blue Hole. I will always be here in the offerings and people I left behind.” – Violet Markey
All the Bright Places Quotes From the Movie
11. “Love is truly the great manifesto. The urge to be, to count for something, and if death must come, to die valiantly with acclamation—in short, to remain a memory.” – Theodore Finch
12. Violet Markey: “Where would you go if you could go anywhere?”
Theodore Finch: “I’d go to a place no one’s ever been before. Undiscovered. Untouched.”
13. “You saved my life. Why couldn’t I save yours?” – Violet Markey
14. “All because she smiled at me, but it was a damn good smile. A genuine one which is hard to come by these days.” – Theodore Finch
All the Bright Places Quotes From the Book
15. “Sorry wastes time. You have to live your life like you’ll never be sorry. It’s easier just to do the right thing from the start, so there’s nothing to apologize for.” – Jennifer Niven, Author
16. “Which of my feelings are real? Which of the me’s is me? There is only one me I’ve ever really liked, and he was good and awake as long as he could be.” – Jennifer Niven, Author
17. “I learned that there is good in this world if you look hard enough for it. I learned that not everyone is disappointing, including me, and that a 1,257-foot bump in the ground can feel higher than a bell tower if you’re standing next to the right person.” – Jennifer Niven, Author
18. “We alternate choosing places to go, but we also have to be willing to go where the road takes us. This means the grand, the small, the bizarre, the poetic, the beautiful, the ugly, and the surprising. Just like life.” – Jennifer Niven, Author
19. “Your hope lies in accepting your life as it now lies before you, forever changed. If you can do that, the peace you seek will follow. Forever changed. I am forever changed.” – Jennifer Niven, Author
Relatable All the Bright Places Quotes About Depression and Mental Health
20. “People rarely bring flowers to a suicide.” – Jennifer Niven, Author
21. “We are all alone, trapped in these bodies and our own minds, and whatever company we have in this life is only fleeting and superficial.” – Jennifer Niven, Author
22. “I do my best thinking at night when everyone else is sleeping. No interruptions. No noise. I like the feeling of being awake when no one else is.” – Jennifer Niven, Author
23. “I know life well enough to know you can’t count on things staying around or standing still, no matter how much you want them to. You can’t stop people from dying. You can’t stop them from going away. You can’t stop yourself from going away, either. I know myself well enough to know that no one else can keep you awake or keep you from sleeping.” – Jennifer Niven, Author
24. “I stand in front of the mirror and study my face. It is the face of a sad, lonely girl something bad has happened to. I wonder if my face will ever look the same again, or if I’ll always see it in my reflection—Finch, Eleanor, loss, heartache, guilt, death.” – Violet Markey
25. “Worthless. Stupid. These are the words I grew up hearing. They’re the words I try to outrun because if I let them in, they might stay there and grow and fill me up and in until the only thing left of me is a worthless stupid, worthless stupid, worthless stupid freak. And then there’s nothing to do but run harder and fill myself with other words: ‘This time will be different. This time, I will stay awake.’” – Jennifer Niven, Author
More All the Bright Places Quotes About Love
26. “No more winter at all. Finch, you brought me spring.” – Violet Markey
27. “You have been in every way all that anyone could be. If anybody could have saved me, it would have been you.” – Theodore Finch
28. “You make me lovely, and it’s so lovely to be lovely to the one I love.” – Theodore Finch
29. “You deserve better. I can’t promise you I’ll stay around, not because I don’t want to. It’s hard to explain. I’m a fuckup. I’m broken, and no one can fix it. I’ve tried. I’m still trying. I can’t love anyone because it’s not fair to anyone who loves me back. I’ll never hurt you, not like I want to hurt Roamer. But I can’t promise I won’t pick you apart, piece by piece, until you’re in a thousand pieces, just like me. You should know what you’re getting into before getting involved.” – Theodore Finch
30. “But I bring it up to let you know that this is the way I feel right now. Like Pluto and Jupiter are aligned with the earth, and I’m floating.” – Jennifer Niven, Author
How Do You Deal With Any Kind of Loss?
We’re enveloped in darkness when we lose someone we love. Some people tell us we must forget about them, move on, or distract ourselves from our feelings.
Thankfully, through All the Bright Places, we learn that we each have our own coping mechanisms. We feel and deal with grief and love in our own ways, and we shouldn’t let anyone dictate how we face our emotions.
We are all allowed time to mourn our loss! It will feel like everything around you is collapsing, but don’t worry; you will heal like everyone else when you’ve faced all your pain.
Losing someone you love is a life-changing experience that can push you toward a wrong or right path. However, remember that your loved one would never want you to get lost or be trapped in pain.
So, do your part and help yourself move on. Face all the sadness and grief, and look forward to a new start and another day!
You are alive for a reason and have a purpose in this world! We hope you were able to get some helpful advice from this collection of the best All the Bright Places quotes from the book and movie!