These Audrey Hepburn quotes that delve deep into her personality and way of life will undoubtedly inspire you!
Audrey Hepburn was a Belgian-born actress, fashion icon, and philanthropist. Known for her style and sophistication, she’s regarded as one of the 20th century’s most beloved fashion and film icons.
We’ve gathered some of her greatest quotes about love, success, beauty, and life that will open your eyes to new ideas. Learn about the beauty she embodied, both inside and out, through this list!
See the entire list below.
And don’t forget to check out these Marilyn Monroe quotes.
Best Audrey Hepburn Quotes
1. “The most important thing is to enjoy your life—to be happy—it’s all that matters.”
2. “I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong.”
3. “Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible!’”
4. “Good things aren’t supposed to just fall into your lap. God is very generous, but He expects you to do your part first.”
5. “To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.”
6. “Why change? Everyone has his own style. When you have found it, you should stick to it.”
7. “Anyone who does not believe in miracles is not a realist.”
8. “For me the only things of interest are those linked to the heart.”
9. “I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it’s the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It’s probably the most important thing in a person.”
10. “Opportunities don’t often come along. So, when they do, you have to grab them.”
Inspirational Audrey Hepburn Quotes
11. “Remember, if you need a hand you’ll find it at the end of your arm.”
12. “Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile.”
13. “As you get older, remember you have another hand: the first is to help yourself, the second is to help others.”
14. “I have learnt how to live—how to be in the world and of the world, and not just to stand aside and watch.”
15. “People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone.”
16. “You have to look at yourself objectively. Analyze yourself like an instrument. You have to be absolutely frank with yourself. Face your handicaps, don’t try to hide them. Instead, develop something else.”
17. “Pick the day. Enjoy it—to the hilt. The day as it comes. People as they come—the past, I think, has helped me appreciate the present—and I don’t want to spoil any of it by fretting about the future.”
18. “I believe, every day, you should have at least one exquisite moment.”
Meaningful Audrey Hepburn Quotes About Life
19. “I decided, very early on, just to accept life unconditionally; I never expected it to do anything special for me, yet I seemed to accomplish far more than I had ever hoped. Most of the time it just happened to me without me ever seeking it.”
20. “I don’t take my life seriously, but I do take what I do—in my life—seriously.”
21. “Living is like tearing through a museum. Not until later do you really start absorbing what you saw, thinking about it, looking it up in a book, and remembering—because you can’t take it in all at once.”
22. “Giving is living. If you stop wanting to give, there’s nothing more to live for.”
23. “My own life has been much more than a fairy tale. I’ve had my share of difficult moments, but whatever difficulties I’ve gone through, I’ve always gotten the prize at the end.”
24. “And I think that’s what life is all about, actually, about children and flowers.”
25. “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.”
26. “If you lead a simple life, and that story is written, then that story will not satisfy. It needs an angle. Suppose there is no angle?”
27. “When you have nobody you can make a cup of tea for, when nobody needs you, that’s when I think life is over.”
28. “There is one difference between a long life and a great dinner; in the dinner, the sweet things come last.”
29. “Life is a party. Dress for it.”
Audrey Hepburn Quotes on Beauty
30. “The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes because that is the doorway to her heart; the place where love resides.”
31. “Beauty is being the best possible version of yourself, inside and out.”
32. “Elegance is the only beauty that never fades.”
33. “A woman can be beautiful as well as intellectual.”
34. “For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”
35. “True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It’s the caring and that she lovingly gives the passion that she shows and the beauty of a woman only grows with passing years.”
36. “There are more important things than outward appearance. No amount of makeup can cover an ugly personality.”
37. “I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe happy girls are the prettiest girls.”
38. “Makeup can only make you look pretty on the outside but it doesn’t help if you’re ugly on the inside. Unless you eat the makeup.”
Audrey Hepburn Quotes About Love
39. “They say love is the best investment; the more you give, the more you get in return.”
40. “We all want to be loved, don’t we? Everyone looks for a way of finding love. It’s a constant search for affection in every walk of life.”
41. “If you’re going to portray love, you have to feel it.”
42. “If we are meant to ‘love thy neighbor as thyself,’ then surely we should love the world’s children as our own.”
Audrey Hepburn Quotes That Reflect Her Personality
43. “If I’m honest, I have to tell you I still read fairy tales and I like them best of all.”
44. “I never think of myself as an icon. What is in other people’s minds is not in my mind. I just do my thing.”
45. “My greatest victory has been to be able to live with myself, to accept my shortcomings. I’m a long way from the human being I’d liked to be, but I’ve decided I’m not so bad after all.”
46. “I’m an introvert—I love being by myself, love being outdoors, love taking a long walk with my dogs and looking at the trees, flowers, and the sky.”
47. “If my world were to cave in tomorrow, I would look back on all the pleasures, excitements, and worthwhileness I have been lucky enough to have had. Not the sadness, not my miscarriages or my father leaving home, but the joy of everything else. It will have been enough.”
48. “It is too much to hope that I shall keep up my success. I don’t ask for that. All I shall do is my best—and hope.”
49. “I have to be alone very often. I’d be quite happy if I spent from Saturday night until Monday morning alone in my apartment. That’s how I refuel.”
50. “Let’s face it, a nice creamy chocolate cake does a lot for a lot of people; it does for me.”
51. “For my whole life, my favorite activity was reading. It’s not the most social pastime.”
52. “I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.”
53. “On the one hand maybe I’ve remained infantile, while on the other I matured quickly because at a young age I was very aware of suffering and fear.”
More Audrey Hepburn Quotes You’ll Enjoy
54. “There is a shade of red for every woman.”
55. “I don’t want to be alone, I want to be left alone.”
56. “No matter where you run, you just end up running into yourself.”
57. “Only the absolutely determined people succeed.”
58. “True friends are families which you can select.”
59. “You can always tell what kind of a person a man really thinks you are by the earrings he gives you.”
60. “Nothing is more important than empathy for another human being’s suffering. Nothing. Not a career, not wealth, not intelligence, certainly not status. We have to feel for one another if we’re going to survive with dignity.”
What Do Beauty and Happiness Mean for You?
Audrey Hepburn grew up in Belgium, England, and the Netherlands. Unlike most children nowadays enjoying happy lives, she suffered and got traumatized by the Nazi occupation. These experiences were fundamental factors shaping who she was and what she believed in.
Because she knew how difficult it was to live under harsh conditions, she became a UNICEF special ambassador when she grew older. Using her career and fame as a platform, she helped underprivileged children worldwide.
Audrey Hepburn contributed a lot to the culture of film and the entertainment industry. But, more than that, she’s a symbol of compassion, love, and real beauty—one that shines both inside and out. Let her best quotes encourage you to be kinder, more loving, and more patient with one another and the world.
Which quotes had the most impact on you? Did we miss any meaningful quotes from her? Leave a comment down below.