It’s hard to be humble and let go of pain, so read through these being the bigger person quotes to shift your perspective about life.
Throughout our lifetimes, we will encounter countless people who will test our patience and resolve.
They will bring us down, call us names, and might even hinder us from achieving our dreams. But, even if they cause us pain, we must be the bigger person and learn to forgive.
If we don’t, we’ll get stuck in a never-ending cycle of hurt and confusion, and we’ll never be able to truly move forward. There’s no denying that it’ll be hard; it’ll even seem impossible at times.
So, read through the quotes we’ve collected below and learn some tips and tricks to help you be the bigger person in whatever circumstance.
Best Being the Bigger Person Quotes
1. “Being a bigger person in a situation requires humility and restraint.” – Aimee Vernon
2. “No matter how awful someone acts, never drop down to their level. Always be the bigger person and walk away.” – Anonymous
3. “Opening your heart and being courageous and telling people that you care about them or like them or that you think they’re special only makes you a better, bigger, kinder, softer, more loving person, and only attracts more love into your life.” – Amy Poehler
4. “Don’t get mad. Don’t get even. Do better. Much better. Rise above. Become so engulfed in your own success that you forget it ever happened.” – Anonymous
5. “Always be nice to people. No matter how bad they are to you. Show them you are not like them.” – Louis Tomlinson
6. “Be selective in your battles, for sometimes peace is better than being right.” – Anonymous
Famous Being the Bigger Person Quotes
7. “Being the bigger person shows a great deal of character.” – Anonymous
8. “Respect is not an obligation nor a favor; it takes a bigger person to give or show some whether it is returned or not.” – Unarine Ramaru
9. “To truly grow into an adult, you must be the bigger person not in height, but in attitude.” – Anonymous
10. “Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it.” – Rene Descartes
11. “Be the stronger person to let go of something that’s pushing you down.” – Anonymous
Inspirational Quotes on Being the Bigger Person
12. “Being bigger means you treat others the way you want to be treated, even when they haven’t been that kind to you.” – Anonymous
13. “In small arguments, it isn’t about who is right or wrong but who can be the bigger person.” – David Cuschieri
14. “The first to apologize is the bravest. The first to forgive is the strongest. And the first to forget is the happiest.” – Anonymous
15. “Just about every human being can reflect on his or her past and say, ‘I learned from that hardship. I didn’t think I would at the time, but I’m a bigger and better person for having endured it and persevered.’” – Lee Strobel
16. “Just because someone puts you down doesn’t mean what they say is true; it only proves that you’re better than them and their negativity.” – Anonymous
Being the Bigger Person Quotes to Make You a Better Individual
17. “Being the bigger person just makes you look and seem like a better person.” – Anonymous
18. “Keep in mind that the true measure of an individual is how he or she treats a person who can do them absolutely no good.” – Ann Landers
19. “Being the bigger person will always make you a better person in the long run.” – Anonymous
20. “No one has ever made himself great by showing how small someone else is.” – Anonymous
21. “Sometimes you have to apologize even when you know you’re right. Be the bigger person to spare someone’s feelings.” – Anonymous
Being the Bigger Person Quotes That’ll Guide You in Life
22. “Refuse to fight small battles with petty people; your life is bigger and better than that.” – Anonymous
23. “Show respect even to people who don’t deserve it; not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours.” – Dave Willis
24. “Love people who hate you. Pray for people who have wronged you. It won’t just change their life—it’ll change yours.” – Mandy Hale
25. “Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got.” – Robert Brault
26. “When you forgive those that hurt you, they no longer have control over your future happiness. Their anger keeps them a prisoner to your past while you enjoy the present.” – Zakiya Caswell
Bite-Sized Being the Bigger Person Quotes to Think About
27. “Smile in the face of those who hurt you.” – Anonymous
28. “Treat people better than they treat you.” – Anonymous
29. “We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” – Abraham Lincoln
30. “The best revenge is to be unlike him who performed the injury.” – Marcus Aurelius
31. “The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will be.” – Anonymous
32. “How beautiful it is to stay silent when someone expects you to be enraged!” – Rachel Wolchin
33. “Your beliefs don’t make you a better person; your behavior does.” – Sukhraj S. Dhillon
Being the Bigger Person Quotes to Live By
34. “‘Ego’ is the only requirement to destroy any relationship. So be the bigger person, skip the ‘E’ and let it ‘go.’” – Anonymous
35. “When you have a bad day—a really bad day—try and treat the world better than it treated you.” – Patrick Stump
36. “No matter how badly someone might have treated you, give them love, kindness, and forgiveness in return.” – Anonymous
37. “Be the bigger person. Let arguments go; not bigger in the sense of pride or knowledge, but to back down, be humble and apologize if needed. Ask yourself before arguing, ‘Who are you trying to prove yourself to? The Almighty knows what’s in your heart, so who else matters? Nobody!’” – Urooj Baloch
38. “Be nice to everyone, even those who keep hurting you. It confuses them to see you happy even after they tried to rip you apart.” – Tshepo Koos Maluleke
Also read: Quotes to Live By
Being the Bigger Person Quotes to Affirm Your Thoughts
39. “I will always be the person who is big enough to keep my word, strong enough to stand up for what I believe in, and brave enough to be myself.” – Anonymous
40. “I am bigger than my circumstances, fear, and doubts and will always be a bigger person.” – Anonymous
41. “It’s easy to feel small when big people surround me. But it only takes a moment to remember that life is about being brave and big enough for everything, no matter how big the dream or huge the challenge. But I will always be the bigger person.” – Anonymous
Being the Bigger Person Quotes for Wiser Decisions
42. “Just because someone invites you to drama does not mean you need to RSVP.” – Anonymous
43. “It’s being called the bigger person and apologizing even when you aren’t wrong.” – Anonymous
44. “When you choose to forgive those who have hurt you, you take away their power.” – Anonymous
45. “Forgiveness is taking the knife out your own back and not using it to hurt anyone else no matter how they hurt you.” – Anonymous
46. “Never sacrifice your class to get even with someone who has none. Let them have the gutter. You take the high road.” – Anonymous
47. “Grudges are for those who insist that they are owed something; forgiveness, however, is for those who are substantial enough to move on.” – Criss Jami
48. “Whenever you think of the way that someone has wronged, you wish a blessing upon them instead of blaming them and stay as positive as possible.” – Anurag Prakash Ray
49. “Anyone can hold a grudge, but it takes a person with character to forgive. When you forgive, you release yourself from a painful burden. Forgiveness doesn’t mean what happened was okay, and it doesn’t mean that person should still be welcome in your life. It just means you have made peace with the pain and are ready to let it go.” – Anonymous
Being the Bigger Person Quotes for a Better Perspective
50. “That’s the best revenge of all: happiness. Nothing drives people crazier than seeing someone have a good fucking life.” – Chuck Palahniuk
51. “Be the person who breaks the cycle. If you were judged, choose understanding. If you were rejected, choose acceptance. If you were shamed, choose compassion. Be the person you needed when you were hurting, not the person who hurt you. Vow to be better than what broke you—to heal instead of becoming bitter so you can act from your heart, not your pain.” – Lori Deschene
52. “The best way to show that a stick is crooked is not to argue about it or to spend time denouncing it, but to lay a straight stick alongside it.” – D.L. Moody
53. “You don’t have to knock anyone off their game to win yours. It doesn’t build you up to tear others down.” – Mandy Hale
54. “When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticisms, and misguided opinions, walking away is the best way to stand up for yourself. To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude.” – Dodinsky
55. “My father told me never to take my foot off a ladder to kick at someone who was kicking at me. When I did that, I would no longer be climbing. While they are kicking, my father told me I should keep stepping. They can kick only one time. If I continued to climb, they would be left behind. In trying to hurt me, to impede my progress, they would get left behind because they allowed themselves to get sidetracked from their agenda.” – Steve Harvey
More Being the Bigger Person Quotes That You Must Read Today
56. “I always thought that being the better person made me a better person. Now, I wonder if it’s weak to forgive someone who isn’t sorry.” – Anonymous
57. “When you’ve taken all you can, walk away. Be the bigger person. Or at least find a bigger person.” – Molly Harper
58. “You ever get tired of being a bigger person? Or tired of being the one who compromises or realizes you’ve come so far to settle? Me either.” – Anonymous
59. “Sometimes you just have to be the bigger person in certain situations, and right now, this is me being the bigger person.” – Anonymous
60. “Sometimes being the bigger person means smiling and nodding while fantasizing about punching the other person in the throat.” – Anonymous
Have You Ever Been Put in a Spot Where You Had to Be the Bigger Person?
Life is harsh, and the people we encounter will not always be helpful and inspiring. It’s a rite of passage, as humans, to experience things that’ll hold us back and test our resolve. When we face these things, we should remember that we are the bigger person and must not stoop down to others’ levels.
When we face our problems with humility and dignity, we will rise above challenges as better and more mature individuals. We will also cultivate our character into something more respectable.
Life will continue to test us from the moment we are born to the last moments of our breath. So, just remember to be the bigger person in whatever circumstance. Living with this attitude will set you up for a more positive, peaceful, and fulfilling life that you’ll never regret.
Reread this list of quotes whenever you feel like you’re being tested again. Remember that living with kindness, compassion, and forgiveness is key to a happy life!