These Divergent quotes will not only entertain you but will also give you significant insights that you can apply in real life.
Divergent tells the story of Beatrice Prior, who lives in a society divided into five factions. All citizens of the right age will undergo a serum test to identify their best-suited group. They will then decide whether they want to stay in their current faction or abandon it.
When Beatrice takes the test, she discovers that she is divergent; she doesn’t fit into any faction. However, she needs to hide that fact because it would mean certain death if anyone knew.
During The Choosing Ceremony, Beatrice decided to transfer to the Dauntless faction, leaving her family in Abnegation. This faction is firmly held together by values of bravery, courage, and fearlessness. She knew what she really wanted, so she stood firm in her choice, even when the odds were against her.
Indeed, Divergent inspires us to always choose the life that we truly desire. If you want to learn more about Beatrice and her society, just keep reading!
Check out the complete list below.
Best Divergent Quotes
1. Beatrice Prior: “They’re gonna kill me.”
Four Eaton: “I’m not gonna let that happen.”
2. “The factions system is a living being composed of cells, all of you. And the only way it can survive and thrive is for each of you to claim your rightful place. The future belongs to those who know where they belong.” – Jeanine Matthews
3. “Becoming fearless isn’t the point. That’s impossible. It’s learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.” – Four Eaton
4. “The system removes the threat of anyone exercising their independent will. Divergents threaten that system. It won’t be safe until they’re removed.” – Jeanine Matthews
5. Beatrice Prior: “You’re afraid of heights.”
Four Eaton: “Everyone’s afraid of something, but not you. Fear doesn’t shut you down; it wakes you up. That’s what makes you dangerous.”
6. “One hundred years ago, after the war, our founders created a system they believed would create lasting peace. They divided society into five factions. Everyone is tested to determine who we are and where we belong.” – Beatrice Prior
7. “As a Dauntless soldier, you have to follow orders you don’t always agree with.” – Four Eaton
8. Tori Wu: “You’re going to tell your family that the serum made you sick and that I sent you home, alright?”
Beatrice Prior: “No! But what was my result?”
Tori Wu: “Abnegation, Erudite, and Dauntless.”
Beatrice Prior: “Dauntless.”
Tori Wu: “Your results were inconclusive.”
Beatrice Prior: “That’s impossible. That doesn’t make any sense.”
Tori Wu: “No, not impossible. It’s just extremely rare. They call it Divergent. You can’t tell anyone about this, not even your parents. As far as the world is concerned you received an Abnegation result because that is what I’m manually entering.”
Beatrice Prior: “But what am I supposed to do at the choosing ceremony? I was supposed to learn what to do; this was supposed to tell me what faction to choose, the test. We’re supposed to trust the test—.”
Tori Wu: “The test didn’t work on you! You have to trust yourself!”
9. “The smart ones, the ones who value knowledge and logic, are in Erudite. They know everything. Amity farm the land; they’re all about kindness and harmony—always happy. Candor values honesty and order. They tell the truth, even when you wish they wouldn’t. And then there’s Dauntless. They’re our protectors, our soldiers, our police. I always thought they were amazing. Brave, fearless, and free. Some people think Dauntless are crazy, which they kind of are. My faction is Abnegation. The others all call us ‘stiffs.’ We lead a simple life, selfless, dedicated to helping others. We even feed the Factionless, the ones who don’t fit in anywhere. Because we’re public servants, we’re trusted to run the government. My father works alongside our leader, Marcus. It all works. Everyone knows where they belong. Except for me. My mother says there’s an art to losing yourself, but I haven’t figured it out yet. I’m supposed to never think of myself, to always help others. To never look too long in the mirror.” – Beatrice Prior
Divergent Quotes That You Will Never Forget
10. “We’re lucky to be in the city. They say that war was terrible, that the rest of the world was destroyed. Our founders built the wall to keep us safe, and they divided us into five groups, factions, to keep the peace.” – Beatrice Prior
11. “I don’t want to be just one thing. I want to be brave, selfless, intelligent, honest, and kind. Well, I’m still working on kind.” – Four Eaton
12. “Points for bravery, Stiff. But not as many as you just lost for opening your mouth.” – Eric Coulter
13. “Trust the test. The test will tell me who I am and where I belong. Am I smart? Kind? Am I honest? Selfless? Or brave?” – Beatrice Prior
14. “Is it a hard one? You can pick a new one if you want, but make it good. You don’t get to pick again.” – Four Eaton
Short Divergent Quotes That’ll Be Embedded in Your Mind
15. “It’s okay, I already have my spot on the floor.” – Four Eaton
16. “Dauntless never give up!” – Eric Coulter
17. “Your last fear is your worst fear. It lives in the deepest part of your mind.” – Four Eaton
18. “You’re supposed to be smart. If I wanted to hurt you, I would have.” – Four Eaton
Divergent Quotes to Beat Your Day’s Boredom
19. “As Dauntless, we fight to protect every life inside the fence without fail. That’s why we train you the way we do, to teach you not to give up and to find out who has what it takes. I know it’s been quiet out there for a few years, but that could change at any moment. So we have to be ready for everything.” – Four Eaton
20. “Today, I take the test. I’m scared it’ll tell me I’m not Abnegation, that I have to leave my family. But I’m even more scared that it’ll tell me to stay. For my brother Caleb, it’s easy.” – Beatrice Prior
21. Four Eaton: “You’re not gonna jump, are you?”
Beatrice Prior: “No, I’m just trying to get a good vantage point.”
Four Eaton: “Good thinking.”
Beatrice Prior: “You don’t have to come with me.”
Four Eaton: “You should go easy; you took a beating.”
Beatrice Prior: “I’m surprised you noticed. I saw you leave during the fight.”
Four Eaton: “Yeah, well. It’s not something I wanted to watch.”
22. Caleb Prior: “You’re nervous, aren’t you?”
Beatrice Prior: “Why would I be nervous? We just decide the rest of our lives.”
More Divergent Quotes for Those Who Like to Think
23. “You got three options. Hang there, and I’ll forget your cowardice, fall and die, or give up. But if you give up you’re out.” – Eric Coulter
24. “I think human nature is the enemy. It’s human nature to keep secrets, lie, and steal, and I want to eradicate that. That’s how we’ll maintain a stable and peaceful society. You would help me with that, wouldn’t you?” – Jeanine Matthews
25. Beatrice Prior: “Can I just ask you—?”
Tori Wu: “You made a mistake choosing Dauntless. They’ll find out about you.”
Beatrice Prior: “Who? Who will?”
Tori Wu: “People you’re a threat to.”
Beatrice Prior: “What people? The Dauntless?”
Tori Wu: “The whole society. If you don’t fit into a category, they can’t control you.”
Beatrice Prior: “I don’t get it. I’m Dauntless. I’m going to be Dauntless. I chose Dauntless.”
Tori Wu: “For your sake, I hope so.”
Did These Quotes Give You the Courage to Break Free From Society’s Labels?
One of our fundamental rights is to choose who and what we want to be. This might seem an obvious thing, but society’s expectations make it hard for many people. Sometimes, even if you only want to achieve your dreams, you’ll have to first face others’ judgment and criticism.
If you can relate to this experience, take inspiration from Beatrice and her realizations in Divergent. You hold the power to decide your fate; you are who you choose to become. So, never let other people dictate your personality, looks, and goals because they don’t have that right.
Avoid letting others’ opinions shape how you conduct your life. Remember, it’s a lot better to face disappointment from society than to face regret for the rest of your time here in our world.
With that, we hope these Divergent quotes were able to motivate you to remain resolute in your choices, no matter what others say. Override society’s expectations and place more value on what you truly need, want, and love!