Take the time to read these Fried Green Tomatoes quotes, as they will remind you of the significance of friendship.
Fried Green Tomatoes is a movie that proves how life will be more bearable if we have friends. The plot starts when a dissatisfied housewife—Evelyn Couch—meets Ninny Threadgoode, who has a story to tell.
The two become friends, which delights Evelyn and enables Ninny to share Ruth and Idgie’s story. Ruth and Idgie’s unpleasant encounter, caused by the death of Idgie’s brother, served as the beginning of Ninny’s tale.
The two make a terrible impression on each other, but when their paths cross again, Idgie can’t help but protect Ruth from abuse. As time goes on, their bond deepens, and Ruth ends up being Idgie’s source of happiness. Despite their past, Ruth and Idgie were able to share a beautiful connection.
Indeed, Ruth and Idgie’s and Ninny and Evelyn’s friendships were forged by tragedy, tested by trials, and strengthened by love. This movie will never fail to make you cry, laugh, and reflect.
So, if you want to know more about Fried Green Tomatoes, read on!
And don’t forget to check out these Rain Man quotes.
Best Fried Green Tomatoes Quotes
1. “I found out what the secret to life is—friends. Best friends.” – Ninny Threadgoode
2. “A heart can be broken, but it will keep beating just the same.” – Ninny Threadgoode
3. “I wouldn’t be afraid of death if I was you. I’d be more afraid of driving in rush-hour traffic.” – Ninny Threadgoode
4. Ruth Jamison: “I love your stories. Tell me a story, Idgie. Go on, you old bee charmer. Tell me a good tall tale. Tell me the one about the lake.”
Idgie Threadgoode: “What lake?”
Ruth Jamison: “The one that used to be here.”
Idgie Threadgoode: “Well, that was just a lie.”
Ruth Jamison: “I know that, fool. Tell me anyway. Tell me a story.”
Idgie Threadgoode: “Uh, one time, there was this lake—and it was right outside of town. We used to go fishing and swimming and canoeing in it. And, uh, see, one November, this big flock of ducks came in and landed on that lake. And then the temperature dropped so fast that the lake just froze right there. And they’re the ducks they flew off, you see, and they took that lake right with them. Now they say that lake is somewhere over in Georgia. Can you imagine that?”
Sipsey: “It’s okay, honey. Let her go. Let her go. You know, Ruth was a lady, and a lady always knows when to leave.”
5. Buddy Threadgoode: “Did I ever tell you about the oysters?”
Idgie Threadgoode: “Oysters?”
Buddy Threadgoode: “I didn’t tell you about the oysters? Think about all the millions of oysters lying around on the bottom of the ocean. Then one day, God comes along, and He says, ‘I think I’m gonna make that one different.’ And you know what He does? He puts a little piece of sand in it. And guess what it can do that the others can’t.”
Idgie Threadgoode: “What?”
Buddy Threadgoode: “It can make a beautiful pearl.”
Idgie Threadgoode: “What if God made a mistake?”
Buddy Threadgoode: “Well, the way I figure it, He never makes mistakes. I mean, He made sure we got together. He made sure you got the best-looking, most charming brother in the world!”
6. Evelyn Couch: “Excuse me. I was waiting for that space.”
Girl 1: “Yeah? Tough!”
Girl 2: “Face it, lady, we’re younger and faster.”
Evelyn Couch: “Towanda. Towanda! Yes ma’am!”
Girl 2: “What are you doing? Are you crazy?”
Evelyn Couch: “Face it, girls. I’m older, and I have more insurance.”
7. “See, now is a time for courage. I guess you already know that there are angels masquerading as people walking around this planet and your mom was the bravest one of those.” – Idgie Threadgoode
8. “I don’t know what’s worse, church or jail?” – Idgie Threadgoode
Famous Fried Green Tomatoes Quotes
9. Idgie Threadgoode: “He won’t even sit in the same room and have a meal today.”
Sipsey: “Oh, it doesn’t make no kind of sense. A big old ox like Grady won’t sit next to a colored child, but he eats eggs and shoots right out of a chicken’s ass.”
10. “You’re just a bee charmer, Idgie Threadgoode. That’s what you are, a bee charmer.” – Ruth Jamison
11. Grady Kilgore: “Ruth, I have to say. I believe Idgie’s been a bad influence on you.”
Ruth Jamison: “I agree!”
12. Evelyn Couch: “I can’t even look at my own vagina!”
Ninny Threadgoode: “Now, I’m afraid I can’t help you with that one.”
13. “You are absolutely, unconditionally, positively the most stubborn person I’ve ever known in my life!” – Grady Kilgore
14. Idgie Threadgoode: “It’s a boy!”
Reverend Scroggins: “I think a little prayer of thanksgiving would be in order.”
Idgie Threadgoode: “God dammit to hell, son of a bitch, she did it! Here’s to Ruth.”
15. Evelyn Couch: “I never get mad, Mrs. Threadgoode. Never. The way I was raised was bad manners. Well, I got mad, and it felt terrific! I felt like I could beat the shit out of all those punks. Excuse my language. Just beat them to a pulp, beat them till they begged for mercy! Towanda the avenger. And after I wipe out all the punks of this world, I’ll take on the wife-beaters, like Frank Bennett, and machine-gun their genitals! Towanda will go on the rampage. I’ll put tiny little bombs in the penthouse and playboy so they’ll explode when you open them. And I’ll ban all fashion models who weigh less than 130 pounds. And I’ll give half the military budget to people of 65 and declare wrinkles sexually desirable. Towanda, righter of wrongs, queen beyond compare!”
Ninny Threadgoode: “How many of them hormones are you taking, honey?”
Short Fried Green Tomatoes Quotes That You Can Easily Remember
16. “All these people will live as long as you remember ’em.” – Ninny Threadgoode
17. “Secret’s in the sauce.” – Sipsey
18. “I’m too young to be old and too old to be young.” – Evelyn Couch
19. “My daddy always used to say there was a separate God for children.” – Ruth Jamison
20. “You a politician, or does lying just run in your family?” – Idgie Threadgoode
More Fried Green Tomatoes Quotes to Relive Some of Your Favorite Scenes
21. Idgie Threadgoode: “I can’t believe he swore on the Bible.”
Ruth Jamison: “Well, not really. If that judge had looked any closer, he’d have seen it was really a copy of Moby dick.”
22. Evelyn Couch: “Ed, If I’d answered the door wearing only cellophane, would you still be watching the baseball game?”
Ed Couch: “No, honey. I’d probably be checking you into a loony bin.”
23. Ed Couch: “What the hell’s this?”
Evelyn Couch: “That’s a low-cholesterol meal. Happy valentine’s.”
Ed Couch: “God! Are you trying to kill me?”
Evelyn Couch: “If I was gonna kill you, I’d use my hands.”
24. “This is from the Bible; it’s from the Book of Ruth. And Ruth said, ‘Whither thou goest, I will go. Where thou lodgest, I will lodge. Thy people shall be my people.’” – Mama Threadgoode
25. Ninny Threadgoode: “Did you know they took my gallbladder out?”
Evelyn Couch: “Uh, no I didn’t.”
Ninny Threadgoode: “Oh yes, still in the hospital in a jar. I guess that’s where they keep them.”
Evelyn Couch: “I guess.”
Did This Collection Make You Realize the Importance of Friendship In Your Life?
In the movie, we are exposed to two friendships that develop at different times. Though that’s the case, they will give us the same lesson: friendship is essential in life. Because of friends, Evelyn became happy, Ninny had reason to live, Ruth was satisfied, and Idgie lived on.
Humans tend to think that they don’t need anyone else when they are in a state of bliss. However, remember that life is constantly changing; so are our emotions. To cope with this, we need someone who will be by our side in any circumstance.
Always look back on your favorite characters and how they found comfort and contentment in each other’s company. Whatever you do, you must seek a relationship like that because it’s your only sure and genuine source of calm, peace of mind, and joy.
A friend is a person from whom we can get support during bad times and a toast in good times. So, treasure those who love you because they will be the driving source of your life’s happiness. We hope that these quotes were able to inspire you to find, build, and value friendship even more!