If you’ve loved Kathryn Stockett’s book, you’ll enjoy this list of The Help Quotes from both the movie and the novel!
The Help is a 2011 movie based on Stockett’s 2009 novel of the same title. It’s a period piece detailing how life was for African American helpers, their difficulties, daily struggles, and sources of hope.
The movie and the book offer wisdom we can reflect on, and that’s why we’ve gathered some of the best quotes from both sources. The reality of the life of people of color is certainly one that will shake us to our core, so be sure you don’t miss out on the list below.
Start reading here.
And make sure to check out these Black Swan quotes.
Best The Help Quotes From the Movie
1. “Love and hate are two horns on the same goat.” – Minny Jackson
2. “You is kind. You is smart. You is important.” – Aibileen Clark
3. “You said to write about what disturbs me, particularly if it bothers no one else.” – Skeeter Phelan
4. “Courage sometimes skips a generation. Thank you for bringin’ it back to our family.” – Charlotte Phelan
5. “See, courage isn’t just about being brave. Courage is daring to do what is right, in spite of the weakness of our flesh.” – Preacher Green
6. “No one had ever asked me what it felt like to be me. Once I told the truth about that, I felt free.” – Aibileen Clark
7. “God says we need to love our enemies. It’s hard to do, but it can start by telling the truth.” – Aibileen Clark
8. “Eighteen people were killed in Jackson that night. Eight Black and ten White. I don’t think God has color in mind that he sets the tornado loose.” – Aibileen Clark
9. “I thought I might write my stories down or read ’em to you. Ain’t no different in writin’ down my prayers.” – Aibileen Clark
10. “I was raised by a colored woman. We love them, and they love us, but they can’t even use the toilets in our houses.” – Skeeter Phelan
Iconic The Help Quotes That’ll Take You Back to the Big Screen
11. “Fried chicken just tend to make you feel better about life.” – Minny Jackson
12. “If you can love your enemy, you already have a victory.” – Preacher Green
13. “I’m sorry, but were you dropping your head as an infant, or were you just born stupid?” – Skeeter Phelan
14. “Your eggs are dyin’. Would it kill you to go on a date?” – Charlotte Phelan
15. Mrs. Walters: “You should read the book, Hilly. It’s quite scandalous. Sounds like Jackson, if you ask me. Quite scandalous.”
Hilly Walters Holbrook: “What book?”
Mrs. Walters: “The Help. H-E-L-P.”
16. Skeeter Phelan: “What changed your mind?”
Aibileen Clark: “God. And Miss Hilly Holbrook.”
17. Aibileen Clark: “What if you don’t like what I’ve got to say?”
Skeeter Phelan: “This isn’t about me.”
The Help Quotes to Revisit Your Favorite Chapters in the Book
18. “Wasn’t that the point of the book? For women to realize we are just two people. Not that much separates us. Not nearly as much as I’d thought.” – Skeeter Phelan
19. “That’s the way prayer do. It’s like electricity, it keeps things going.” – Aibileen Clark
20. “And that’s when I get to wondering, what would happen if I told her she something good, every day?” – Aibileen Clark
21. “Every morning, until you dead in the ground, you gone have to make this decision. You gone have to ask yourself, ‘Am I gone believe what them fools say about me today?’” – Constantine Jefferson
22. “I may not remember my name or what country I live in, but you and that pie is something I will never forget.” – Mrs. Walters
23. “All I’m saying is, kindness don’t have no boundaries.” – Aibileen Clark
24. “Truth. It feels cool, like water washing over my sticky-hot body. Cooling a heat that’s been burning me up all my life. Truth, I say inside my head again, just for that feeling.” – Aibileen Clark
25. “Mississippi is like my mother. I am allowed to complain about her all I want, but God help the person who raises an ill word about her around me unless she is their mother too.” – Kathryn Stockett, Author
Which Quote From the List Above Fired up Your Sense of Righteousness?
There’s no denying how judgmental and discriminatory our society is. Sadly, even if many people out there are trying to fight for our rights, it won’t make much difference in our day-to-day lives. The only way to feel and experience change is to fight for it ourselves.
It’s scary, and we understand your fears. However, you must have the courage to speak out for yourself. When you’re not being heard, raise your hand; if it’s not enough, stand up, make your voice louder, and shout if you have to!
Courage will allow us to live in a society that’s more accepting of different cultures and colors. When we fight for our rights and stand up for our beliefs, the world will be a much better place to live in.
At the same time, we should also know when to stand down and listen to others. We must remember that we’re not the only people in the world; sometimes, others need to be heard, too. There’s a balance in all things, so let’s learn to accommodate everyone’s needs.
The Help is undoubtedly a work of art that speaks to everyone’s souls. Add this list of quotes to your bookmarks so you can quickly look back on them whenever you need words of wisdom to live life by.