If you love watching romantic and musical movies, then these Hairspray quotes are perfect for you!
We can all agree that many forms of discrimination are still present in our society today. There are a lot of people who will discourage you from the things that you have no control over. But, remember that you shouldn’t give them the chance to bring you down—just like Tracy Turnblad.
Hairspray starts with Tracy Turnblad, who dreams of being part of The Corny Collins Show. After getting the scoop that the show will open an audition, Tracy jumps at the opportunity and gets chosen.
Unfortunately, not everyone is happy about Tracy joining the show. They believe she didn’t deserve it because of her appearance. So, she received unfair treatment from the show’s manager, Velma Von Tussle, and her daughter, Amber.
Despite all the challenges and criticism Tracy experienced, she still managed to achieve her dreams. She didn’t let others’ discouragement rise above her dreams.
So, if you’re curious about how she succeeded, keep reading!
Continue reading below.
Best Hairspray Quotes
1. Penny Pingleton: “Without that show, I have nothing.”
Prudence Pingleton: “Having nothing builds character!”
2. Wilbur Turnblad: “This is America, babe. You gotta think big to be big.”
Edna Turnblad: “Big ain’t the problem in this family, Wilbur.”
3. Inez Stubbs: “Seaweed’s got a girlfriend!”
Seaweed Stubbs: “Shut up!”
Inez Stubbs: “You.”
Motormouth Maybelle: “Oh, so this is love? Well, love is a gift. A lot of people don’t remember that. So you two better brace yourselves for a whole lotta ugly coming at you from a never-ending parade of stupid.”
4. Edna Turnblad: “Will you turn that racket down? I’m trying to iron here.”
Tracy Turnblad: “Ma, it’s not racket; it’s The Corny Collins Show!”
Edna Turnblad: “Well, it’s turning your brains into mud!”
5. Edna Turnblad: “No one is auditioning for anything in this household!”
Tracy Turnblad: “But why not? Why not?”
Edna Turnblad: “Because dancing is not your future. One day, you’re going to own ‘Edna’s occidental laundry.’”
Tracy Turnblad: “I don’t want to be a laundress. I want to be famous!”
Edna Turnblad: “If you want to be famous, learn how to take blood out of car upholstery. That’s a skill you can take right to the bank.”
6. “People who are different, their time is coming! Mom, it’s changing out there! You’ll like it. People who are different, their time is coming!” – Tracy Turnblad
7. Corny Collins: “I’d like to welcome our new council member, Miss Tracy Turnblad. Tracy, cozy up to all corny and tell us a little bit about yourself.”
Tracy Turnblad: “Well, I watch The Corny Collins Show every day, and I do nothing else.”
Corny Collins: “Oh.”
Tracy Turnblad: “I also hope to be the first female president or a rockette.”
Corny Collins: “As your first act as president, what would you do?”
Tracy Turnblad: “Hmm, I’d make every day Negro day.”
Corny Collins: “I read you like tomorrow’s headlines.”
8. Penny Pingleton: “Oh, Seaweed, you do care! I was afraid the colors of our skin would keep us apart.”
Seaweed Stubbs: “No, but these knots might. Was your mom in the Navy?”
9. “Detroit sound? What’s that, the cries of people being mugged?” – Velma Von Tussle
Hairspray Quotes for Your Inspiration
10. Penny Pingleton: “Mom, please don’t send my best friend to the big house.”
Prudence Pingleton: “Penny, hush.”
Tracy Turnblad: “You haven’t heard the last of me. Things need to change, and I won’t stop trying to change them. I don’t care how long it takes.”
Prudence Pingleton: “Good! You’ll be waiting 20 to life.”
11. Penny Pingleton: “Your hair deflated.”
Tracy Turnblad: “Let it. It was just a symbol of my conformity to the man.”
Penny Pingleton: “You are so tough.”
12. “I think I’ve kind of been in a bubble thinking that fairness was gonna just happen. It’s not. People like me are gonna have to get up off their fathers’ laps and go out and fight for it.” – Tracy Turnblad
13. “Tomorrow is a brand new day, and it doesn’t know White from Black! ‘Cause the world keeps spinning around and around, and my heart’s keeping time to the speed of sound.” – Motormouth Maybelle
Hairspray Quotes to Get a Glimpse of Its Funniest Lines
14. “Do that again, and there’ll be stumps where your feet are, you got that? You little who. Holy moly.” – Amber Von Tussle
15. Corny Collins: “And now it’s time to say goodbye to our very own fun-loving, free-wheeling little Brenda. Come on up here, Brenda. Brenda will be taking a little leave of absence from the show. How long are you gonna be gone, Brenda?”
Brenda: “Just nine months.”
16. Tracy Turnblad: “Negro Day’s the best! I wish every day were ‘Negro Day!’”
Seaweed Stubbs: “At our house, it is.”
17. Mr. Flak: “Oh, and Mr. Larkin, perhaps you’d like to share with the rest of the class Patrick Henry’s immortal last words?”
Link Larkin: “Kiss my ass?”
18. Motormouth Maybelle: “Miss Edna, is it? Hi. I mean, you don’t have to rush off, you know.”
Edna Turnblad: “Well, I do. I left my iron on.”
Motormouth Maybelle: “Oh, your iron? Well, before you go, are you sure you wouldn’t like to have a little something to eat?”
Edna Turnblad: “Is that braised?”
19. Velma Von Tussle: “They’re kids, Corny. That’s why we have to steer them in the white direction.”
Corny Collins: “The right direction?”
Velma Von Tussle: “Didn’t I say that?”
Hairspray Quotes to Relive Some of the Movie’s Greatest Scenes
20. Amber Von Tussle: “I lost, Mom. Let’s just deal with it!”
Velma Von Tussle: “No, you did not lose! You cannot have lost because I switched the damn tallies!”
Edna Turnblad: “Smile, Ms. Crab Meat! You’re on candid camera!”
Wilbur Turnblad: “That was a good shot, don’t you think?”
Cameraman: “Not bad!”
21. Motormouth Maybelle: “Well, looks like you all took a step outta bounds. Who’ve we got here?”
Seaweed Stubbs: “Mom, I want you to meet my new friends. This here is Link, Tracy Turnblad—.”
Tracy Turnblad: “This is just so afro-tastic!”
Seaweed Stubbs: “And this young lady right here is Penny Pingleton.”
Penny Pingleton: “I’m very pleased and scared to be here.”
Motormouth Maybelle: “Now, honey, we got more reason to be scared on your street.”
22. Link Larkin: “That’s my shot, Trace.”
Tracy Turnblad: “But, it’s what’s right.”
Link Larkin: “I’m sorry, Trace. I just think this adventure is a little too big for me.”
More Hairspray Quotes to Get To Know the Characters Better
23. Police Chief: “Velma, I seriously doubt she’ll risk incarceration to win a pageant.”
Velma Von Tussle: “I risked communicable diseases. She’ll certainly risk jail.”
24. “Penny, get home before your mother shoots you.” – Edna Turnblad
25. Seaweed Stubbs: “Living in the ghetto, Black is everywhere you go. Who’d have thought I’d love a girl whose skin was white as winter snow?”
Penny Pingleton: “In my ivory tower, life was just a hostess snack, but now I’ve tasted chocolate, and I’m never goin’ back!”
Did This Collection Help You Understand That You Should Not Conform to Others’ Criticism?
Nowadays, unequal treatment because of race and appearance is still an issue. Many people look down on others if they see that they are different—maybe in culture, weight, or color. This is precisely what Tracy Turnblad undergoes while she’s achieving her dreams.
In Hairspray, we witness how other people mock and judge Tracy in every possible way. But, we never saw her wallow in self-pity and discouragement. Instead, she didn’t let their contempt diminish her hope and dreams.
So, expect that the world is full of cold and harsh people who may attempt to change who you are. In times like these, you must remember not to let anyone influence your heart and mind—as we’ve learned from Tracy.
It’s scary to walk on a road where you feel like others are different and are watching every step you take. But, from Hairspray, we understand that this kind of journey is also worth taking. Someday, you’ll look back and see yourself as a strong and beautiful person because you never let other people negatively affect your life.
Hopefully, these Hairspray quotes were able to encourage you to be your true self! It’s easy to let other people’s negative attitudes ruin our goals, but it takes great strength to rise above it. Remember, you are brave, powerful, and beautiful!