If you enjoy watching sitcoms that tackle love stories and life lessons, these How I Met Your Mother quotes are for you!
Do you also wonder how you will meet the love of your life? We are all curious about how we will meet our soulmate in the future or who this person will be. Well, in How I Met Your Mother, we witness the story of a man telling his children how he met the love of his life.
How I Met Your Mother has been among the most popular shows for many years. It’s about a man named Ted Mosby who shares his experiences with his relationships and the life lessons he learned along the way.
Each of the characters’ wise pieces of advice will mark your heart and stay in your mind. So, make sure to read the collection from beginning to end!
You may start here.
And don’t forget to check out these Arrested Development quotes.
Best How I Met Your Mother Quotes
1. “If you’re not scared, you’re not taking a chance, and if you’re not taking a chance, then what the hell are you doing?” – Ted Mosby
2. “You will be shocked, kids, when you discover how easy it is in life to part ways with people forever. That’s why, when you find someone you want to keep around; you do something about it.” – Ted Mosby
3. Ted Mosby: “Everyone has an opinion on how long it takes to recover from a breakup.”
Lily Aldrin: “Half the length of the relationship.”
Marshall Eriksen: “One week for every month you were together.”
Robin Scherbatsky: “Exactly 10,000 drinks, however long that takes.”
4. “Shouldn’t we hold out for the person who doesn’t just tolerate our little quirks but actually kinda likes them?” – Ted Mosby
5. “Because sometimes, even if you know how something’s gonna end, that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the ride.” – Ted Mosby
6. “You can’t cling to the past. Because no matter how tightly you hold on, it’s already gone.” – Ted Mosby
7. “I know it’s a mistake, but there are certain things in life where you know it’s a mistake, but you don’t really know it’s a mistake because the only way to really know it’s a mistake is to make a mistake, and look back and say, ‘Yep, that was a mistake.’ So, really, the bigger mistake would be to not make a mistake because then you’d go your whole life not really knowing if something is a mistake or not.” – Lily Aldrin
8. “Love is totally nonsensical. But we have to keep doing it, or else we’re lost, and love is dead, and humanity should just pack it in. Because love is the best thing, we do.” – Ted Mosby
9. “If you’re looking for the word that means caring about someone beyond all rationality and wanting them to have everything they want, no matter how much it destroys you, it’s love.” – Ted Mosby
10. “Some couples always support each other, and some couples always challenge each other. But is one really better than the other? Yes. Support is better. Way better.” – Ted Mosby
How I Met Your Mother Quotes That’ll Inspire You to Move Forward
11. “We’re going to get older whether we like it or not, so the only question is whether we get on with our lives or desperately cling to the past.” – Ted Mosby
12. “You may think your only choices are to swallow your anger or throw it in someone’s face, but there’s a third option: you can just let it go, and only when you do that is it really gone, and you can move forward.” – Ted Mosby
13. “Everyone comes with baggage. Find someone who loves you enough to help you unpack.” – Ted Mosby
14. “The great moments of your life won’t necessarily be the things you do; they’ll also be the things that happen to you. Now, I’m not saying you can’t take action to affect the outcome of your life, you have to take action, and you will. But never forget that on any day, you can step out the front door, and your whole life can change forever. You see, the universe has a plan, kids, and that plan is always in motion. A butterfly flaps its wings, and it starts to rain. It’s a scary thought, but it’s also kind of wonderful. All these little parts of the machine are constantly working, making sure that you end up exactly where you’re supposed to be, exactly when you’re supposed to be there. The right place at the right time.” – Ted Mosby
15. “That’s life, you know. We never end up where you thought you wanted to be.” – Marshall Eriksen
Iconic How I Met Your Mother Quotes for Avid Fans of the Show
16. “Maybe this isn’t a breakup. Maybe this is just two friends getting back together.” – Barney Stinson
17. “It’s going to be legen—wait for it—and I hope you’re not lactose intolerant because the second half of the word is—dary! Legendary!” – Barney Stinson
18. “If I ask you to change too many things about yourself, you’re not gonna be the man I fell in love with. Turns out I accept and appreciate even the grossest, creepiest, most sociopathic parts of you.” – Robin Scherbatsky
19. “Being in a couple is hard. And committing, making sacrifices—it’s hard. But if it’s the right person, it’s easy.” – Marshall Eriksen
20. “Whenever I’m sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead.” – Barney Stinson
21. “You see, kids, right from the moment I met your mom, I knew I have to love this woman as much as I can, and as long as I can, and I can never stop loving her, not even for a second.” – Ted Mosby
22. “Never underestimate the power of destiny. Because when you least expect it, the littlest thing can cause a ripple effect that changes your life.” – Ted Mosby
Short How I Met Your Mother Quotes for You to Reflect On
23. “A lie is just a great story that someone ruined with the truth.” – Barney Stinson
24. “It’s only once you’ve stopped that you realize how hard it is to start again.” – Ted Mosby
25. “And that, kids, is how I met your mother.” – Ted Mosby
26. “The best I can give you is a fake smile and dead eyes.” – Robin Scherbatsky
27. “It’s just; eventually, we’re all gonna move on. It’s called growing up.” – Lily Aldrin
28. “You have to let me dance my own battles.” – Marshall Eriksen
29. “Revenge fantasies never work out the way you want.” – Marshall Eriksen
30. “People don’t get the chance to discover each other anymore.” – Ted Mosby
31. “There are a lot of little reasons why the big things in our lives happen.” – Ted Mosby
32. “Sometimes, things have to fall apart to make way for better things.” – Ted Mosby
How I Met Your Mother Quotes That’ll Give Some Insights on Love
33. “In marriage, being right is less important than being supportive. Remember, a happy wife equals happy life.” – Lily Aldrin
34. “There are two big days in any love story: the day you meet the girl of your dreams and the day you marry her.” – Ted Mosby
35. “If you have chemistry, all you need is one other thing—timing. But timing’s a bitch.” – Robin Scherbatsky
36. “Sometimes you fall for someone you didn’t expect, but that doesn’t make it wrong. Doesn’t everyone deserve to be happy?” – Barney Stinson
How I Met Your Mother Quotes to Get Wise Words From
37. “We struggle so hard to hold on to these things that we know are gonna disappear eventually. And that’s really noble.” – Lily Aldrin
38. “Whatever you do in this life, it’s not legendary unless your friends are there to see it.” – Barney Stinson
39. “It’s not about proof; it’s about faith. Faith is what gives life shape and meaning.” – Marshall Eriksen
40. “Oh my god, look at you cowards. So afraid of any kind of change. So terrified of anything new. So, so desperate to cling to anything comfortable and familiar.” – Robin Scherbatsky
41. “We spend so much effort trying to keep parts of our lives hidden, even from our closest friends, that in those rare times when we do open up, it’s amazing how minor those secrets all end up being.” – Ted Mosby
42. “And that’s how it goes, kids. The friends, neighbors, drinking buddies, and partners in crime you love so much when you’re young, as the years go by, you just lose touch.” – Ted Mosby
43. “The future is scary, but you can’t just run back to the past because it’s familiar. Yes, it’s tempting, but it’s a mistake.” – Robin Scherbatsky
How I Met Your Mother Quotes to Serve as Your Guide in Life
44. “If you keep giving up on people so quickly, you’re gonna miss out on something great.” – Robin Scherbatsky
45. “Look, you can’t design your life like a building. You just have to live it, and it’ll design itself.” – Lily Aldrin
46. “Say goodbye to all the times you felt lost, to all the times it was a no instead of a yes, to all the scrapes and bruises, to all the heartache.” – Lily Aldrin
47. “You can ask the universe for signs all you want, but ultimately we’ll only see what we want to see when we’re ready to see it.” – Ted Mosby
More How I Met Your Mother Quotes to Ponder On
48. “I realized that I’m searching, searching for what I really want in life. And you know what? I have absolutely no idea what that is.” – Barney Stinson
49. “The more you fight it, the worse it’s gonna get. It’s like when your car slides on ice; you steer into the skid.” – Ted Mosby
50. “Because when baseball, strippers, and guns can’t help, the only thing that can really heal a broken heart is time.” – Ted Mosby
Have You Ever Imagined What It Would Be Like to Meet the One for You?
How I Met Your Mother teaches us that life is not just about love but also friendship, happiness, and dreams. Through each of its episodes, we understand that love will come unexpectedly, friendships will fade away, and memories are what will remain forever. More than that, it teaches us to chase our goals and always strive for something bigger.
Perhaps all of these life lessons are behind the sitcom’s success. It might be a show anchored on love, but it also inspires us to live the lives we want. And, in today’s world where nothing seems to be going well, the characters’ wise advice can really be helpful in overcoming the challenges we currently face.
Ted Mosby, Barney Stinson, and other characters teach us that no matter how complex our troubles are, there will always be a solution. So, don’t be discouraged if you can’t solve your problems instantly. Don’t lose hope, trust yourself, and lean on people who will support you through thick and thin.
How I Met Your Mother is indeed a show that will remain timeless. Its characters, their lines, and each scene will remain in our hearts forever with the help of the powerful life lessons they provide. Always keep this list of quotes in your bookmarks so you have something to look back on whenever you need some wise words of advice in the future!