These 100 hurt quotes will help you understand your emotions and guide you toward a better headspace.
In the same way that joy and love are parts of life, hurt is also inescapable. Our negative feelings are valid and always lurk in the darkness.
After all, they say everything in this world is made up of light and shadow. If our happiest days bring us light, then the downsides of life serve as the shadows of those joys.
However, while being hurt is expected, we must never get stuck in that negative headspace. Hurt, pain, and sadness are only supposed to be stepping stones to a better and brighter future.
We must always heal from whatever hurts us because being in pain for prolonged periods will harm our well-being. Sadly, getting hurt is much easier than moving on from it.
We’ve gathered some quotes below to help you start your healing process. Though some will make you tear up, we’re positive that most will help you find the inspiration to move forward!
Most Heartbreaking Hurt Quotes
1. “What hurts us is what heals us.” – Paulo Coelho
2. “To hurt is as human as to breathe.” – J. K. Rowling
3. “If we aren’t capable of being hurt, we aren’t capable of feeling joy.” – Madeleine L’Engle
4. “That’s the funny thing about old hurts―they just wait for new heartache to come along and then show up, just as sharp and horrible as the first day you woke up with the world changed all around you.” – Lilith Saintcrow
5. “We hurt so much because we have lost a part of ourselves. If we have loved much, we must have given much also, and when everything’s over, we feel as though we have lost everything.” – Jocelyn Soriano
6. “As one grows weaker, one is less susceptible to suffering. There is less hurt because there is less to hurt.” – Jack London
7. “If you love large, you’ve got to hurt large. If you’ve got a lot of light, you’ve probably got an equal amount of darkness.” – Sarah McLachlan
8. “Sometimes, being hurt too many times doesn’t make you stronger; it destroys who you were, who you wanted to be, and makes who you are today.” – Rafael Prado
9. “No matter how far life pushes you down, no matter how much you hurt, you can always bounce back.” – Sheryl Swoopes
10. “Another person will not hurt you without your cooperation; you are hurt the moment you believe yourself to be.” – Epictetus
Relatable Hurt Quotes That’ll Help Keep You Going
11. “Sometimes I’m not angry; I’m hurt, and there’s a big difference.” – Anonymous
12. “You will never know the power of yourself until someone hurts you badly.” – Anonymous
13. “It hurts to see the one you really love loves someone else. But it hurts even harder when you find out that you were just their bridge to cross over to their loved ones.” – Anonymous
14. “Hurt. I’m f*cking hurt. And don’t act like you care. Because if you did, you wouldn’t have done what you did.” – Anonymous
15. “It hurts if someone tells you they don’t want you, but it hurts more if they don’t tell you.” – Anonymous
16. “Don’t ask why someone keeps hurting you. Ask yourself why you’re allowing them.” – Anonymous
Love Hurts Quotes That’ll Make You Emotional
17. “If they keep hurting you, love them, and stay or love yourself and leave.” – Sonya Parker
18. “I have found the paradox that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.” – Mother Teresa
19. “One is never wounded by the love one gives, only by the love one expects.” – Marty Rubin
20. “Love means exposing yourself to the pains of being hurt, deeply hurt by someone you trust.” – Renita Weems
21. “With love, you should go ahead and take the risk of getting hurt because love is an amazing feeling.” – Britney Spears
22. “It hurts to love. It’s like giving yourself to be flayed and knowing that at any moment the other person may just walk off with your skin.” – Susan Sontag
23. “The surest way to hurt yourself is to give up on love, just because it didn’t work out the first time.” – Amanda Howells
24. “Of course, I’ll hurt you. Of course, you’ll hurt me. Of course, we will hurt each other. But this is the very condition of existence. To become spring means accepting the risk of winter. To become presence means accepting the risk of absence.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
25. “And maybe that was love―being so vulnerable and allowing someone else in so far they could hurt you, but they also give you everything.” – Christine Feehan
26. “Falling in love is like holding a candle. Initially, it lightens up the world around you. Then it starts melting and hurts you. Finally, it goes off, and everything is darker than ever, and all you are left with is the burn!” – Syed Arshad
27. “There are a thousand ways to hurt someone you love that has nothing to do with physical violence.” – Laurell K. Hamilton
Quotes for Everyone Feeling Hurt
28. “Some old wounds never truly heal and bleed again at the slightest word.” – George R. R. Martin
29. “Just because one person’s problem is less traumatic than another’s doesn’t mean they’re required to hurt less.” – J. A. Redmerski
30. “The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected.” – Nicholas Sparks
31. “People who stop laughing are always the ones who get hurt.” – Josh Sundquist
32. “When an emotional injury takes place, the body begins a process as natural as the healing of a physical wound. Let the process happen. Trust that nature will do the healing. Know that the pain will pass, and when it passes, you will be stronger, happier, and more sensitive and aware.” – Mel Colgrove
33. “The deepest wounds aren’t the ones we get from other people hurting us. They are the wounds we give ourselves when we hurt other people.” – Isobelle Carmody
Words Hurt Quotes to Make You Think Twice About What You Say
34. “Think before you speak. Your words could hurt someone’s feelings more than you intended it to.” – Justin Beiber
35. “I have never been hurt by what I have not said.” – Calvin Coolidge
36. “A man is not hurt so much by what happens, as by his opinion of what happens.” – Michel de Montaigne
37. “Words can hurt you. In the larger world, it frames how people think about you, and it can hurt you in lots of little, subtle ways.” – Nathan Myhrvold
38. “I have learned now that while those who speak about one’s miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.” – C.S. Lewis
39. “The worst wounds, the deadliest of them, aren’t the ones people see on the outside. They’re the ones that make us bleed internally.” – Sherrilyn Kenyon
40. “Words are singularly the most powerful force available to humanity. We can choose to use this force constructively with words of encouragement, or destructively using words of despair. Words have energy and power with the ability to help, to heal, to hinder, to hurt, to harm, to humiliate, and to humble.” – Yehuda Berg
Sad Hurt Quotes That’ll Touch Your Heart
41. “Truth is everybody is going to hurt you: you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for.” – Bob Marley
42. “That old saying, how you always hurt the one you love, well, it works both ways.” – Chuck Palahniuk
43. “It may hurt to let go, but sometimes it hurts more to hold on.” – Anonymous
44. “One of the most courageous decisions you’ll ever make is to finally let go of what is hurting your heart and soul.” – Brigitte Nicole
45. “I’ve never been in a place where winning has hurt the ability to do anything.” – Rahm Emanuel
46. “Why is there ever this perverse cruelty in humankind, that makes us hurt most those we love best?” – Jacqueline Carey
47. “Sometimes, a person gets hurt to the point that they give up, they don’t care if anyone hurts them, and they pretend it’s okay.” – Anonymous
48. “Many people are hurt in life. But the problem is not the hurt. They curse, nurse, and rehearse their hurt instead of reversing it, and live miserably.” – RVM
Quotes About Hurt in a Relationship
49. “Stab the body, and it heals, but injure the heart, and the wound lasts a lifetime.” – Mineko Iwasaki
50. “If you make a choice that intentionally hurts someone that you love, then you probably don’t know what love is.” – Anonymous
51. “Don’t chase after the people that hurt you. Replace them with people that care.” – Kaoru Shinmon
52. “Nothing else wounds so deeply and irreparably. Nothing else robs us of hope so much as being unloved by one we love.” – Clive Barker
53. “Being hurt by someone you truly care about leaves a hole in your heart that only love can fill.” – George Bernard Shaw
54. “If you spend your time hoping someone will suffer the consequences for what they did to your heart, then you’re allowing them to hurt you a second time in your mind.” – Shannon L. Alder
55. “Don’t lock yourself away from those who care about you because you think you’ll hurt them or they’ll hurt you. What point is there in being human if you don’t let yourself feel anything?” – Sabaa Tahir
56. “You’re in a relationship to be happy, to smile, to laugh, and to make good memories. Not to constantly be upset, to feel hurt and to cry.” – Anonymous
57. “I don’t think it was the lies and manipulations from him that hurt the most; I think it was the ones I fed myself trying to hold on to someone who had already let go.” – Anonymous
Hurt Quotes for Her to Reflect On
58. “There were things I wanted to tell him. But I knew they would hurt him. So I buried them, and let them hurt me.” – Jonathan Safran Foer
59. “Don’t hurt my feelings anymore. I left you my roses, and you gave me your thorns.” – Godwin Delali Adadzie
60. “Nothing hurts more than realizing he meant everything to you, and you meant nothing to him.” – Maya Angelou
61. “The truth was, he now belonged only to my past, and it was time I began to accept it, as much as it hurt to do so.” – Tammara Webber
62. “I could never hurt him enough to make his betrayal stop hurting. And it hurts, in every part of my body.” – Veronica Roth
63. “You’ve hurt my feelings; you’ve broken my heart. I gave you my time; I gave you my trust, but you left me for another.” – Godwin Delali Adadzie
Hurt Quotes for Him to Read Today
64. “When a girl gives up, it’s not because she doesn’t love you. But she’s tired of getting hurt and feels like you’ll never care.” – Justice Cabral
65. “I’m not really sure why. But do you stop loving someone just because they betrayed you? I don’t think so. That’s what makes the betrayal hurt so much―pain, frustration, and anger. And I still loved her. I still do.” – Brandon Sanderson
66. “Here she is, all mine, trying her best to give me all she can. How could I ever hurt her? But I didn’t understand then. That I could hurt somebody so badly she would never recover. That a person can, just by living, damage another human being beyond repair.” – Haruki Murakami
Short Hurt Quotes
67. “It hurts because it matters.” – John Green
68. “It is when we hurt that we learn.” – Steve Maraboli
69. “Nobody can hurt me without my permission.” – Mahatma Gandhi
70. “A man can sleep on every hurt but his own.” – Irish Proverb
71. “The pain of yesterday is the strength of today.” – Paulo Coelho
72. “Forgive those who have hurt you.” – Les Brown
73. “To hurt someone you know will forgive you is the unkindest thing of all.” – Anonymous
74. “Sometimes, it’s better to not show how much you have been hurt.” – Anonymous
75. “Sometimes people hurt you and act as if you hurt them.” – Anonymous
Hurt Quotes That’ll Help You Heal
76. “Let it hurt, and then let it go.” – Anonymous
77. “The way to heal from hurt is not to ignore or act oblivious of the fact that you have been hurt. You should talk about the hurt to heal.” – Anonymous
78. “I truly believe that while love can hurt, love can also heal.” – Nicholas Sparks
79. “Don’t waste your time on revenge. Those who hurt you will eventually face their own karma.” – Matareva Pearl
80. “If you learn how to forgive the people who hurt you, you will live a pleased life.” – Anonymous
81. “When you are hurting and feel as if you have nowhere to turn to, just remember that God feels your pain because you are one of his children.” – Anonymous
82. “Don’t let the hurt torture you; speak it out, and the burden will be reduced.” – Anonymous
Hurt Quotes About the Unexpectedness of Life
83. “I don’t like to hold back, because that’s how you hurt yourself.” – Chester Bennington
84. “Sometimes even stuff you expect to happen can still hurt.” – Jennifer Brown
85. “If it hurts, it’s probably doing you good. If it’s pleasant, it’s most likely wrong.” – John Graves
86. “Forget what hurt you in the past, but never forget what it taught you.” – Shannon L. Alder
87. “From hurt comes pain; from pain comes change. If it hurts enough, change will happen.” – Tripp Evans
88. “If someone really wants to hurt you, they’ll find a way whatever. I don’t want to live my life worrying about it.” – George Michael
Deep Hurt Quotes for Those in Pain
89. “Do you know the feeling when your heart is so hurt that you could feel the blood dripping?” – Lady Gaga
90. “Hurting deeply and keeping quiet is only going to make you resent the wrong people.” – Anonymous
91. “Disappointment hurts more than pain.” – Anonymous
92. “It is not the pain. It’s who it came from.” – Drishti Bablani
93. “Pain is a pesky part of being human. I’ve learned it feels like a stab wound to the heart, something I wish we could all do without, in our lives here. Pain is a sudden hurt that can’t be escaped. But then I have also learned that because of pain, I can feel the beauty, tenderness, and freedom of healing. Pain feels like a fast stab wound to the heart. But then healing feels like the wind against your face when you are spreading your wings and flying through the air! We may not have wings growing out of our backs, but healing is the closest thing that will give us that wind against our faces.” – C. Joybell C.
94. “Sometimes a good cry is just what you need to release all the hurt you have built up inside.” – Anonymous
95. “There is no greater pain in realizing that you are hurting someone you love under unavoidable circumstances.” – Anonymous
More Quotes About Being Hurt
96. “Being hurt is like having your heart twisted and torn and wrung, but not ruined.” – Anonymous
97. “Was I bitter? Absolutely. Hurt? You bet your sweet *ss I was hurt. Who doesn’t feel a part of their heartbreak at rejection? You ask yourself every question you can think of, what, why, how come, and then your sadness turns to anger. That’s my favorite part. It drives me, feeds me, and makes one hell of a story.” – Jennifer Salaiz
98. “When a person tells you that you hurt them, you don’t get to decide that you didn’t.” – Louis C.K.
99. “Isn’t it sad when you get hurt so much that you can finally say, ‘I’m used to it.’” – Anonymous
100. “Have you ever been hurt, and the place tries to heal a bit, and you just pull the scar off of it over and over again.” – Rosa Parks
Did This List of Hurt Quotes Give You the Encouragement and Comfort You Seek?
It’s so easy to get hurt. After all, almost anything and everything in this world can cause us pain.
Sadly, at times, the people we love and trust the most are also the ones who could hurt us the most. When that happens, yes, you must feel all your emotions and go through the process of grieving and letting go of the person you love.
However, at the same time, you must also recognize that healing starts with you; you don’t need others’ help to move forward! So, know your worth, stand up, and move on from what makes you sad.
Always keep in mind that love is supposed to bring you happiness and peace of mind—never wounds and sadness. The people you’re in a relationship with, your family, friends, and even you, need to remember your value.
Hurt is undoubtedly an ingredient to help us mature and improve in life. But, it only works if you know how to use it to rise to be a better person.
With that, we hope this list of hurt quotes was able to serve as your wake-up call! Remember, you deserve every good thing that this world has to offer!
4 thoughts on “100 Hurt Quotes to Help You Confront Your Pain & Anger”
I also love quote bcoz it brings encouragement
Hey, Stiza. Thank you. Quotes helped me a lot.
Thanks so much for these inspiring quotes. Very helpful.
Thank you, Camp. Appreciate your comment.
Comments are closed.