This collection of broken heart quotes will help everyone in need of comfort, advice, and a shoulder to cry on.
Relationships and attraction are such exciting and vibrant aspects of our lives.
Sadly, love is not just about happy days.
Everyone who has loved has experienced breakups, loss, and separation—all leading to a broken heart.
Though it can be an emotional and sad part of the journey, it’s nevertheless a part of life we cannot skip.
We all go through heartbreaks at some point in our lives, and sometimes, our broken hearts are too much for us to handle.
That’s why we’ve prepared a list of our favorite quotes to help you move on and move forward toward brighter days.
Start reading here.
And don’t forget to check out these true love quotes.
Best Broken Heart Quotes
1. “Hearts can break. Yes, hearts can break. Sometimes, I think it would be better if we died when they did, but we don’t.” – Stephen King
2. “A broken heart is the worst. It’s like having broken ribs. Nobody can see it, but it hurts every time you breathe.” – Anonymous
3. “Hearts are breakable. And I think even when you heal, you’re never what you were before.” – Cassandra Clare
4. “So here’s the thing with broken hearts. No matter how you try, the pieces never fit the way they did before.” – Anonymous
5. “I don’t want to break someone’s heart, but you can’t control that. A broken heart happens; that’s inevitable.” – Lykke Li
6. “The heart will break, but broken live on.” – Lord Byron
7. “The worst feeling in the world is when you can’t love anyone else because your heart still belongs to the one who broke it.” – Anonymous
8. “Hearts will never be practical until they are made unbreakable.” – Tin Man
9. “I’d rather love a million times and have my heart broken every time than hold a permanently empty heart forever.” – H.C. Paye
10. “The broken heart. You think you will die, but you keep living—day after day after terrible day.” – Charles Dickens
Heartbreak Quotes to Help You Move On
11. “You find out what you are made of when you have a broken heart. If it happens early and often, all the better.” – Isabel Gillies
12. “Sometimes it takes a heartbreak to shake us awake and help us see we are worth so much more than we’re settling for.” – Mandy Hale
13. “Every time your heart is broken, a doorway cracks open to a world full of new beginnings, new opportunities.” – Patti Roberts
14. “Crying is a way your eyes speak when your mouth can’t explain how broken your heart is.” – Anonymous
15. “When love is lost, do not bow your head in sadness; instead, keep your head up high and gaze into heaven for that is where your broken heart has been sent to heal.” – Anonymous
16. “Only time can heal your broken heart. Just as only time can heal his broken arms and legs.” – Miss Piggy
17. “Pain makes you stronger. Tears make you braver. Heartbreak makes you wiser.” – Marc & Angel
18. “This is a good sign—having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
19. “Sometimes a little heartbreak is a lesson, and the best thing to do is just learn the lesson.” – Jon Voight
20. “The best way to heal a broken heart, it turns out, is to find a way to move past the hurt.” – Mary Kay Andrews
Heartbreak Quotes for Those Who Need Comfort
21. “I’ve been heartbroken. I’ve broken hearts. That’s part of life, and it’s part of figuring out who you are so you can find the right partner.” – Heidi Klum
22. “Human hearts are elastic. They have room for all sorts of passions, and they can break and heal and love again and again.” – Jodi Lynn Anderson
23. “Nothing helps a broken heart like having someone wonderful give you theirs.” – Rita Stradling
24. “You may have a broken heart, but you may find someone else.” – Douglas Booth
25. “The emotion that can break your heart is sometimes the very one that heals it.” – Nicholas Sparks
26. “When you go through heartbreak, you just do the things that get you by. Eventually, you realize it’s about making the most of life.” – Britney Spears
27. “I’ve been on the floor and I’ve been heartbroken. I didn’t know how I was going to stand up. But I just gave it time.” – Sandra Bullock
28. “The human heart has a way of making itself large again even after it’s been broken into a million pieces.” – Robert James Waller
29. “I think heartbreak is something you learn to live with as opposed to learning to forget.” – Kate Winslet
Short Heartbreak Quotes
30. “I’d rather have a broken arm than a broken heart.” – Christie Brinkley
31. “Sharp are the arrows of a broken heart.” – Cassandra Clare
32. “Heaven doesn’t ignore cries of a broken heart.” – Toba Beta
33. “The heart was made to be broken.” – Oscar Wilde
34. “Broken heart will turn into a stronger one within hope.” – Anonymous
35. “You don’t die from a broken heart. You only wish you did.” – Anonymous
36. “God can heal a broken heart, but He has to have all the pieces.” – Anonymous
37. “I gave you my heart, I just didn’t expect to get it back in pieces.” – Anonymous
38. “Love is only made more valuable by the risk of heartbreak.” – Alessandra Torre
39. “A broken heart bleeds tears.” – Steve Maraboli
40. “You didn’t break my heart; you freed it.” – Steve Maraboli
41. “Broken hearts hurt but they will make you strong.” – Anonymous
Broken Heart Quotes That You Can Relate To
42. “I don’t know why they call it heartbreak. It feels like every other part of my body is broken too.” – Anonymous
43. “I thought you were healing me. But no, you just broke me even more.” – Anonymous
44. “I wish I were a little girl again because skinned knees are easier to fix than a broken heart.” – Julia Roberts
45. “Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn’t it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up.” – Neil Gaiman
46. “Sometimes you break your heart in the right way, if you know what I mean.” – Gregory Roberts
47. “My mouth says, ‘I’m okay.’ My fingers text, ‘I’m fine.’ My heart says, ‘I’m broken.’” – Anonymous
48. “The saddest thing about love is that not only that it cannot last forever, but that heartbreak is soon forgotten.” – William Faulkner
Heartbreak Quotes for Everyone in a Relationship
49. “It’s hard asking someone with a broken heart to fall in love again.” – Eric Kripke
50. “The scariest thing is that we didn’t even have to be together for you to break my heart.” – Anonymous
51. “I will never regret you or say I wish I’d never met you. Because once upon a time, you were exactly what I needed.” – Anonymous
52. “I cried a lot because of you. I laughed a lot because of you. I believed in love because of you. And now I’m heartbroken because of you.” – Anonymous
53. “Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it’s better to leave them broken than try to hurt yourself by putting it back together.” – Anonymous
54. “Heartbreak is funny to everyone but the heartbroken.” – Anonymous
Broken Heart Quotes for Him
55. “Breaking a woman’s heart is deeper than men realize. It destroys her outlook on love, breaks her heart, rips her self-esteem to shreds, tortures her mind, and damages her soul. Don’t let her fall for you unless you plan on picking her up.” – Anonymous
56. “The only thing a boyfriend was good for was a shattered heart.” – Becca Fitzpatrick
57. “This time I wouldn’t forget him, because I couldn’t ever forgive him for breaking my heart twice.” – James Patterson
58. “My heart’s cracking apart all over again because of the way I’ve missed him.” – Jolene Perry
59. “Loving you was like going to war; I never came back the same.” – Warsan Shire
Broken Heart Quotes for Her
60. “I’m not crying because of you; you’re not worth it. I’m crying because my delusion of who you were was shattered by the truth of who you are.” – Steve Maraboli
61. “The cure for a broken heart is simple, my lady. A hot bath and a good night’s sleep.” – Margaret George
62. “A woman who opens her heart to love you, when it’s already broken, is braver than any person you’ll meet.” – Anonymous
63. “You can’t have heartbreak without love. If your heart was really broken, then at least you know you really loved him.” – Leila Sales
64. “Doctoring her seemed to her as absurd as putting together the pieces of a broken vase. Her heart was broken. Why would they try to cure her with pills and powders?” – Leo Tolstoy
65. “Must I go bound while you go free, must I love a man who doesn’t love me, must I be born with so little art, as to love a man who’ll break my heart?” – Cassandra Clare
66. “Has someone made you heartbroken? Then, why are you still thinking of him?” – Debra K. Messer
67. “She went around with a broken heart, and she wasn’t sure who’d broken it. She thought it was herself, mostly.” – Ann Brashares
Sad Heartbreak Quotes That’ll Make You Emotional
68. “A broken heart is just the growing pains necessary so that you can love more completely when the real thing comes along.” – J.S.B. Morse
69. “A broken heart does not mean you are broken. The crack is there to let the light in.” – Anonymous
70. “Stab the body and it heals, but injure the heart and the wound lasts a lifetime.” – Mineko Iwasaki
71. “Behind my smile is a broken heart, behind my laugh I’m falling apart. Behind my eyes are tears at night, behind my body is a soul trying to fight.” – Anonymous
72. “One of the cruelest things a person can do is to awaken someone’s love without the intention of truly loving them.” – Anonymous
73. “Having your heart broken is a different type of pain than breaking someone’s heart. While guilt is heavier, grief is more alienating. As victims of someone else’s mistakes, it is harder to accept the pain inflicted on us.” – Anonymous
74. “Lonely’s a different kind of pain, it doesn’t hurt as bad as heartbreak. I preferred it and embraced it ‘cause I reckoned it was one or the other.” – Kristen Ashley
Broken Heart Quotes to Move You to Tears
75. “There are many ways of breaking a heart. Stories were full of hearts broken by love, but what really broke a heart was taking away its dream—whatever that dream might be.” – Pearl S. Buck
76. “The shattering of a heart when being broken is the loudest quiet ever.” – Carroll Bryant
77. “Perhaps someday, I’ll crawl back home, beaten, defeated. But not as long as I can make stories out of my heartbreak, beauty out of sorrow.” – Sylvia Plath
78. “It isn’t enough for your heart to break because everybody’s heart is broken now.” – Allen Ginsberg
79. “Being heartbroken doesn’t mean you stop feeling. Just the opposite—it means you feel it all more.” – Julie Johnson
80. “You ask everybody you know, ‘How long does it usually take to get over it?’ There are many formulas. One year for every year you dated. Two years for every year you dated. It’s just a matter of willpower. The day you decide it’s over, it’s over. You never get over it.” – Junot Díaz
81. “I never wanted but your heart—that gone, you have nothing more to give.” – Mary Wollstonecraft
Broken Heart Quotes That Zoom in on Love and Loss
82. “It takes a strong heart to love, but it takes an even stronger heart to continue to love after it’s been hurt.” – Anonymous
83. “You will never know true happiness until you have truly loved, and you will never understand what pain really is until you have lost it.” – Anonymous
84. “When you are in love, and you get hurt, it’s like a cut—it will heal, but there will always be a scar.” – Soo Jie
85. “If you want to forget something or someone, never hate it, or never hate him or her. Everything and everyone that you hate is engraved upon your heart; if you want to let go of something, if you want to forget, you cannot hate.” – Anonymous
86. “As for lovers, well, they’ll come and go too. And baby, I hate to say it, most of them—actually pretty much all of them—are going to break your heart, but you can’t give up because if you give up, you’ll never find your soulmate. You’ll never find that half who makes you whole and that goes for everything. Just because you fail once, doesn’t mean you’re gonna fail at everything. Keep trying, hold on, and always, always, always believe in yourself, because if you don’t, then who will, sweetie? So keep your head high, keep your chin up, and most importantly, keep smiling.“ – Marilyn Monroe
87. “A broken heart in real life isn’t half as dreadful as it is in books. It takes spells of aching and gives you a sleepless night now and then. But between times, it lets you enjoy life and dreams as if there were nothing the matter with it.” – L.M. Montgomery
Deep Broken Heart Quotes for Those Who Are Grieving
88. “No matter how hard your heart is broken, the world doesn’t stop for your grief.” – Faraaz Kazi
89. “So it’s true—when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love.” – E.A. Bucchianeri
90. “Losing him was like having a hole shot straight through me, a painful, constant reminder, an absence I could never fill.” – Jojo Moyes
91. “And perhaps there is a limit to the grieving that the human heart can do. As when one adds salt to a tumbler of water, there comes a point where simply no more will be absorbed.” – Sarah Waters
92. “Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.” – Richard Puz
More Broken Heart Quotes That’ll Speak to Your Soul
93. “A heartbreak is a blessing from God. It’s just his way of letting you realize he saved you from the wrong one.” – Anonymous
94. “Of course! It takes a lot of strength to mend a broken heart. Channelizing energies into your work helps, but also to be able to accept situations for what they are instead of questioning them helps immensely.” – Deepika Padukone
95. “Heartbreak could be lived with if it weren’t accompanied by regret.” – Laura Kasischke
96. “I know what it’s like to have a broken heart. I know what it’s like to feel pain. When my songs don’t become hits, it breaks my heart. There are a million ways to break a heart. I can relate.” – Diane Warren
97. “When your heart is broken, you plant seeds in the cracks and you pray for rain.” – Andrea Gibson
98. “It is strange how often a heart must be broken before the years can make it wise.” – Sara Teasdale
99. “When your heart is broken, your boats are burned: nothing matters anymore. It is the end of happiness and the beginning of peace.” – George Bernard Shaw
100. “When you have your heart broken for the first time, you gain depth.” – Sienna Miller
Did This List of Quotes Give You Some Tips to Help You Mend Your Broken Heart?
When your heart breaks, it may feel like the whole world around you is starting to crumble. You may feel like you’ve lost your sense of purpose, your future, and the person who makes you happy. However, always remember that having a broken heart does not mean it’s the end of the world.
It may be hard to move on from a lost love. Thankfully, because it’s such a universal experience, many people are able to share their pieces of advice and insights through quotes. Just reading through the quotes in the list may have helped you feel a bit better, but going further, you’ll also realize that there are many ways to move forward from a broken heart.
For one, you must accept the very situation you’re in. Do not wallow in sadness and denial; instead, take the time to grieve your breakup. You should also find new sources of joy and happiness; distract yourself from the pain, and understand that life has so much more to offer.
We should also look inward and love ourselves more. Breaking up with someone doesn’t mean we should lose love for ourselves, too. Remember that you are the only one who can genuinely love and accept yourself totally; if you don’t love yourself, then who would love you back?
Let these broken heart quotes give you a new perspective on love, pain, and moving on. Bookmark this page and reread the quotes in the collection whenever you need a reminder!
Did any of the quotes tug at your heartstrings? Which broken heart quotes gave you new realizations? Comment below.