Everyone has a backstory, and you’ll no doubt learn a lot about the Mistress of Evil through these Maleficent quotes.
When Sleeping Beauty was released, everyone saw Maleficent as nothing but a wicked and cold-hearted woman. Till the very end, she was depicted as an evil being with no good qualities about her. However, in the live-action version released in 2014, we see her softer side and the reason for her wickedness.
Maleficent came to love Aurora with all her heart and regretted the curse she placed upon her. We also see the darker side behind King Stefan and how badly he hurt Maleficent. So, unlike the animated fairy tale, Aurora built a strong bond with Maleficent.
Though Maleficent was the one who cursed Aurora, she was also the one to break it with the power of true love’s kiss. It was not a romantic kind of love, but she adored and wanted to protect Aurora all her life.
Not everything is what they seem to be. If you want proof, read these Maleficent quotes we’ve gathered.
And don’t forget to check out these The Princess Bride quotes and Alice in Wonderland quotes.
Best Maleficent Quotes
1. “Aurora, there is an evil in this world, hatred, and revenge. And I cannot keep you from it.” – Maleficent
2. “Listen well, you all! The princess will indeed grow in grace and beauty. But before the sunset on her 16th birthday, she will prick her finger on a spindle of a spinning wheel, and she will fall into a sleep-like death!” – Maleficent
3. Aurora: “I know who you are. You’ve been watching over me, my whole life. I know you’re there. Your shadow, it’s been following me, ever since I was small. Don’t be afraid.”
Maleficent: “I’m not afraid.”
Aurora: “Then come out.”
Maleficent: “Then you’ll be afraid.”
4. Aurora: “Do all the Fair People have wings?”
Maleficent: “Most do.”
Aurora: “Then why don’t you? All the other fairies fly.”
Maleficent: “I did, but they were stolen from me. That’s all I wish to say about it.”
Aurora: “What color were they? Were they big?”
Maleficent: “So big they dragged behind me when I walked. And they were strong. They could carry me above the clouds and into the headwinds. And they never faltered, not even once. I could trust them.”
5. “I will not ask your forgiveness, because what I have done to you is unforgivable. I was so lost in hatred and revenge. Sweet Aurora, you stole what was left of my heart. And now I have lost you forever. I swear, no harm will come to you as long as I live. And not a day shall pass that I don’t miss your smile.” – Maleficent
6. Aurora: “When were you going to tell me that I’m cursed? Is it true?”
Maleficent: “It is.”
Aurora: “My aunt said it was an evil fairy. I can’t remember the name. They said it was—.”
Aurora: “Is that you? Are you Maleficent? No, don’t touch me. You’re the evil that’s in the world. It’s you!”
7. “Nothing is indestructible.” – King Stefan
8. “Pitchforks? Humans are hilarious.” – Maleficent
9. “The princess can be woken from her death sleep by true love’s kiss.” – Maleficent
10. “This curse will last till the end of time! No power on earth can change it.” – Maleficent
Maleficent Quotes to Think About
11. “I call on those who live in the shadows! Fight with me now!” – Maleficent
12. “I like you begging. Do it again.” – Maleficent
13. Aurora: “I remember you, pretty bird.”
Maleficent: “This is Diaval.”
Diaval: “Hello, Aurora. I’ve known you since you were a little one.”
14. “Stop complaining. I saved your life.” – Maleficent
15. “And to show I bear no ill will, I too shall bestow a gift on the child.” – Maleficent
16. “Love doesn’t always end well, Beastie.” – Maleficent
17. “I revoke my curse! Let it be no more!” – Maleficent
18. “I must say, I really felt quite distressed at not receiving an invitation.” – Maleficent
19. Prince Phillip: “I’m looking for a girl.”
Maleficent: “Of course you are!”
Maleficent Quotes That Are Just Iconic
20. “True love does not exist.” – King Stefan
21. Aurora: “I know who you are.”
Maleficent: “Do you?”
Aurora: “You’re my fairy godmother!”
22. “The princess can be woken from her death sleep, but only by true love’s kiss!” – Maleficent
23. “Royalty. Nobility. Gentry. How quaint, even the rabble.” – Maleficent
24. “It’s so ugly, I almost feel sorry for it.” – Maleficent
25. Aurora: “Hello.”
Maleficent: “Go away. Go. Go away. I don’t like children.”
26. Aurora: “Hello, Godmother.”
Maleficent: “Hello, Beastie.”
27. “But as they said in ancient Rome, ‘He whom the Gods love, dies in youth.’ He or she.” – Maleficent
28. “You’ve been very good to me—well, except that time you fed me spiders.” – Aurora
29. King Stefan: “You’re not welcome here.”
Maleficent: “Oh, dear! What an awkward situation.”
30. “So you see, the story is not quite as you were told, and I should know, for I was the one they called ‘Sleeping Beauty.’ In the end, my kingdom was united not by a hero or a villain, as legend had predicted, but by one who was both hero and villain. And her name was Maleficent.” – Narrator
Do You Think Maleficent’s Rage Is Justified?
It’s a natural human reaction to want to strike back after we’ve been hit. However, we must be careful whenever we retaliate, as we never know if we’ll be doing something we might regret later.
For Maleficent, she thought she was only doing something right to find justice for herself. But, later on, she came to love the person she put a curse on, leading to some of her most painful days.
It’s a hard pill to swallow for some, but through the movie, we understand that what might seem good outside isn’t always beneficial for all, and what’s bad might not be inherently evil. Maleficent’s backstory is proof of this. King Stefan, whom we thought loved his kingdom, caused all the chaos that disrupted Maleficent’s life.
Her anger is justified, but should she have brought a child into the issue? More than that, should he have pushed through with revenge?
Vengeance could only lead to more suffering, so instead, try to forgive and find beauty in the world around you. Maleficent is undoubtedly a movie about acceptance, change, and, most of all, love. With that, we hope this list of quotes was able to give you more reasons to love it!