When you need some spells that’ll help you understand love in its essence, read this list of the most iconic Practical Magic quotes!
Practical Magic is a mystical movie that’s become a fan favorite for many households. We’ll even bet that you get to watch it every time Halloween comes around!
It’s a movie anchored on magic and spells. But, it also provides us with even more profound lessons on love, self-acceptance, and female empowerment.
The cast also couldn’t have been more perfect! What more would you ask for if you already have Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman as powerful witches that empower every woman in the world? It might be formally a rom-com, but a big chunk of the movie zooms in on their unique relationship and love as sisters.
So, if you want to know more about Practical Magic, then buckle up! We’ve gathered the best ones that will certainly pique your curiosity in all things magic and spells!
And make sure to check out these Hocus Pocus quotes and Steel Magnolias quotes.
Best Practical Magic Quotes
1. “There’s a little witch in all of us.” – Aunt Jet Owens
2. “I dream of a love that even time will lie down and be still for.” – Sally Owens
3. “Curses only have power when you believe in them, and I don’t.” – Gary Hallet
4. “You can’t practice witchcraft when you look down your nose at it.” – Aunt Jet Owens
5. Gillian Owens: “You ever put your arms out and spin really, really fast?”
Antonia Owens: “She does it all the time.”
Gillian Owens: “She does? Well, that’s what love is like. It makes your heart race. It turns the world upside down. But if you’re not careful, if you don’t keep your eyes on something still, you can lose your balance.”
6. “Sometimes, I feel like there’s a hole inside of me, an emptiness that at times seems to burn. I think if you lifted my heart to your ear, you could probably hear the ocean.” – Sally Owens
7. “There are some things I know for certain: always throw spilled salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can.” – Sally Owens
8. Gillian Owens: “I love you.”
Sally Owens: “I love you too, Gilly-Bean.”
9. Sally Owens: “All I want is a normal life.”
Aunt Franny Owens: “My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage!”
Practical Magic Quotes to Liven up Your Day
10. “My blood, your blood, our blood.” – Gillian Owens and Sally Owens
11. Sally Owens: “And I don’t want them dancing naked under the full moon!”
Aunt Jet Owens: “No, of course. The nudity is entirely optional. As you well remember!”
12. “In this house, we have chocolate cake for breakfast and never bother with silly little things like bedtimes or brushing our teeth.” – Aunt Franny Owens
13. “Of course, you’re going to see me again. We’ll grow old together. It’s going to be you and me living in a big house—these two old biddies with all these cats. I bet we even die on the same day.” – Gillian Owens
14. Sally Owens: “Mommy died of a broken heart, didn’t she?”
Aunt Franny Owens: “Yes, my darling girl, she did.”
15. Gary Hallet: “Did you or your sister kill James Angelov?”
Sally Owens: “Yeah, a couple of times.”
Practical Magic Quotes That Will Keep You up at Night
16. “She heard the beetle ticking for your father’s death all day long. She knew that when you hear the sound of the deathwatch beetle, the man you love is doomed to die.” – Aunt Franny Owens
17. Gary Hallet: “Some people also use it as a poison.”
Sally Owens: “Which people?”
Gary Hallet: “Witch people.”
18. Gillian Owens: “He wants me, just me. Everyone would be safe. Just let him take me.”
Sally Owens: “Don’t die on me, Gilly, please, ’cause we’re supposed to die together, at the same time. You promised me that, and this is not that day.”
19. Sally Owens: “We have to go to the police. It was self-defense.”
Gilly Owens: “What, the old slowly-poisoning-him-to-death self-defense?”
20. Gary Hallet: “Where is James Angelov?”
Sally Owens: “I think he’s in the spirit world.”
Gary Hallet: “You think he’s dead?”
Sally Owens: “No, I think he’s haunting us.”
Thought-Provoking Practical Magic Quotes to Reflect On
21. Gillian Owens: “Thought you never wanted to fall in love.”
Sally Owens: “That’s the point. The guy I dreamed of doesn’t exist. And if he doesn’t exist, I’ll never die of a broken heart.”
22. “Since when is being a sl*t a crime in this family?” – Sally Owens
23. Sally Owens: “I hope I never fall in love, I hope I never fall in love, I hope I never fall in love.”
Gillian Owens: “I can’t wait to fall in love.”
24. Gillian Owens: “Is he cute?”
Sally Owens: “Yeah, he’s nice—in a very penal code sort of way, yeah.”
Practical Magic Quotes for Everyone Who Loves Spells
25. “Hands up, ladies. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.” – Aunt Jet Owens
26. “For more than 200 years, we Owens women have been blamed for everything that’s ever gone wrong in this town.” – Aunt Franny Owens
27. Gary Hallet: “I got people telling me that you’re up here cooking up placenta bars, that you’re into devil worship.”
Sally Owens: “No. No, there’s no devil in the craft.”
28. Sally Owens: “What would you do, Gilly?”
Gillian Owens: “What wouldn’t I do—for the right guy?”
28. Aunt Franny Owens: “Even if we did bring him back, it wouldn’t be Michael. It would be something else. Something dark and unnatural.”
Sally Owens: “I don’t care what he comes back as. As long as he comes back. Please do this for me. Please?”
30. “He can flip pancakes in the air. He’ll be marvelously kind. And his favorite shape will be a star. And he’ll have one green eye and one blue.” – Sally Owens
31. Aunt Franny Owens: “A lesson they must learn on their own.”
Aunt Jet Owens: “What about the little ones?”
Aunt Franny Owens: “Not to worry, Jetty. A good piece of Maria’s hanging rope will protect them.”
More Practical Magic Quotes You Should Not Forget
32. “You see that couple here? Well, he’s having an affair with the babysitter, and she can eat a pound cake in under a minute.” – Aunt Jet Owens
33. “I’m worried about Antonia. Did you know that she puts on her mouse ears and drives around town, all liquored up, naked?” – Kylie Owens
34. Sally Owens: “You really should stop smoking so much.”
Gillian Owens: “Why? I’ll probably get a life. I should smoke two at once. It’ll shorten the sentence.”
35. Gary Hallet: “So what kind of a craft do you do?”
Sally Owens: “I manufacture bath oils and soaps and hand lotions and shampoo. And the aunts—they like to meddle in people’s love lives.”
Is Practical Magic Also One of Your All-Time Favorite Movies?
There is no doubting the kind of influence Practical Magic has made in the lives of every little girl who grew up in the late 1990s or early 2000s. How would it not when it teaches its viewers two fundamental lessons to live by?
For one, Practical Magic teaches us that every person has a little bit of magic in them, and they can certainly contribute to making the world a better place. You don’t have to be a witch to make ripples—or even waves—of change! All we have to do is set aside our differences to join forces with others; that way, we magnify our individual contributions into something bigger.
Another life-changing lesson we can gather from Sally Owens and Gillian Owens is that love comes in many forms. Life will be harsh, and we’ll meet people—even partners—who will hurt and abuse us. But, as long as we have people by our side who genuinely love and care for us, then we will turn out alright.
Practical Magic zooms in on many kinds of love—love between siblings, a parent’s love for her child, and romantic relationships. This made the movie touch many hearts as the central theme was relevant and meaningful to people worldwide.
With that, we hope these Practical Magic quotes we’ve gathered were able to give you a deeper understanding of the movie and what the characters went through. Remember the lessons you’ve learned from this list, and allow them to guide you in life!