Discover the lessons Dr. Seuss embedded in the storyline through this list of The Cat in the Hat quotes.
Dr. Seuss is the mastermind behind various children’s books that help kids broaden their imaginations. More importantly, however, his works provide them with essential moral lessons.
Some of Dr. Seuss’s most remarkable works include The Lorax, Horton Hears a Who!, and The Cat in the Hat. In the story of The Cat in the Hat, a stranger visits the home of two kids while their mother is out.
The stranger, The Cat, tells them they could have fun and that their mother would not mind if they played with a stranger. The Fish, the family’s pet, is skeptical about The Cat and tries to dissuade the children from following him.
On the surface, the story is about making friends and having fun. However, The Cat in the Hat is much more than that.
If you’re curious about its morals, read on. We have the best quotes from Dr. Seuss’s book and its movie adaptation.
And don’t forget to check out these Dr. Seuss quotes.
Best The Cat in the Hat Quotes
1. “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” – The Cat in the Hat
2. “Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now! It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how.” – The Cat in the Hat
3. “I know it is wet and the sun is not sunny, but we can have lots of good fun that is funny.” – The Cat in the Hat
4. “And this mess is so big and so deep and so tall, we cannot pick it up. There is no way at all!” – The Fish
5. “Oh, dear! You do not like our game. Oh, dear. What a shame! What a shame! What a shame!” – The Cat in the Hat
6. “The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house. All that cold, cold, wet day.” – Conrad Walden
Famous The Cat in the Hat Sayings
7. “But I like to be here. Oh, I like it a lot!” – The Cat in the Hat
8. “But that is not all. Oh no. That is not all!” – The Cat in the Hat
9. “Now! Now! Have no fear. Have no fear! My tricks are not bad.” – The Cat in the Hat
10. “He should not be here. He should not be here when your mother is not.” – The Fish
11. “These kids will be in trouble, I know that for a fact; look at all of the things you’ve done because you wanted to have some fun!” – The Fish
The Cat in the Hat Lines That Will Blow Your Mind
12. “See what you have done? You messed things up for everyone!” – The Fish
13. “I’ve got some cool games for you. I also know some new tricks I can do. If you give me a minute, I can show them to you. I’m sure your mom wouldn’t mind in the least if I do.” – The Cat in the Hat
14. “I will not go away. I do not wish to go!” – The Cat in the Hat
Funny The Cat in the Hat Quotes for a Good Laugh
15. “Thing One says he’s Thing One for a reason, and some people should just get used to it. It’s a ‘Thing thing’ you wouldn’t understand.” – The Cat in the Hat
16. “He says you may feel free to call him Thing A if you like. He will also accept Super Thing, Thing King, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate Thun-da or Ben.” – The Cat in the Hat
17. “Well, sure, he can talk. But is he saying anything? No, not really.” – The Cat in the Hat
Short The Cat in the Hat Quotes That Are Perfect for Your Instagram Captions
18. “Delicious cupcakes are just minutes away.” – The Cat in the Hat
19. “You don’t try, you do!” – Sally Walden
20. “They just wanted to play.” – The Cat in the Hat
The Cat in the Hat Quotes for Fans of Dr. Seuss’s Work
21. “So all we could do was to sit! Sit! Sit! Sit! And we did not like it. Not one little bit.” – Conrad Walden
22. “Then Sally and I did not know what to say. Our mother was out of the house for the day.” – Conrad Walden
23. “And then something went bump! How that bump made us jump!” – Conrad Walden
The Cat in the Hat Quotes to Revisit the Live-Action Movie
24. Thing Two: “Don’t belittle me.”
The Cat in the Hat: “Ah, yes, of course. Thing Two would like to clarify that just because he wears the number two does not imply in any way that he’s inferior to Thing One.”
Thing Two: “And all of the above.”
25. The Cat in the Hat: “Who’s this?”
Sally Walden: “That’s our babysitter.”
The Cat in the Hat: “So wait, you mean that you pay this woman to sit on babies? Well, that’s disgusting! I’d do it for nothing.”
26. Sally Walden: “Stop! That’s—.”
Sally Walden and Conrad Walden: “Mom’s dress!”
The Cat in the Hat: “This filthy thing?”
Sally Walden: “She was gonna wear that tonight, and you ruined it.”
The Cat in the Hat: “Honey, it was ruined when she bought it.”
27. Sally Walden: “Who are you?”
The Cat in the Hat: “Who, me? Why, I’m The Cat in the Hat; there’s no doubt about that. I’m a super fundiferous feline, who’s here to make sure that you’re meline, key lime. turpentine. I got nothing! I’m not so good with the rhyming, not really, no. Look, I’m a cat that can talk; that should be enough for you people!”
28. Sally Walden: “Like being in the circus!”
The Cat in the Hat: “Yeah, but without those tortured animals or drunken clowns that have hepatitis.”
29. The Fish: “Someone else should drive!”
The Cat in the Hat: “Alright, you win. Concrete, you drive.”
Conrad Walden: “Are you serious?”
The Cat in the Hat: “I don’t know. A little voice inside of me is saying, ‘This is a bad idea.’ But I can barely hear that little voice, because an even louder little voice is screaming, ‘Let the 12-year-old drive!’ Now punch it.”
Conrad Walden: “This is awesome!”
Sally Walden: “I want to drive.”
The Cat in the Hat: “I think that’s a great idea.”
Conrad Walden: “Wait, two people can’t drive at the same time.”
The Cat in the Hat: “You’re right. We should all drive.”
30. “I’ll get you, and it’ll look like a bloody accident.” – The Cat in the Hat
What Do You Think Are the Other Underlying Lessons From the Story?
As children, when our guardians leave us for a while, we usually jump into action and try to have all the fun we can have. After all, no one’s there to tell us what we can or cannot do.
In The Cat in the Hat, this is precisely what happens. The Cat tried to take advantage of the kids’ innocence and boredom and wanted to influence them into doing something they were not supposed to do.
If you look at things from a more realistic point of view, The Cat is a stranger trying to trespass into someone’s house. There is nothing right about his actions, no matter how you look at them.
The Fish in the story is the voice of reason that makes us rethink our actions. He’s the one who makes us reflect on the consequences of our actions, especially when he says, “These kids will be in trouble, I know that for a fact; look at all of the things you’ve done because you wanted to have some fun!”
Having fun is not wrong, but we must always be wary of the consequences of our actions. Like what we’ve learned from The Cat in the Hat quotes, always be accountable for what you think, do, and say!