Every season of the show is worth watching, so we’re positive you’ll find all Yellowstone quotes listed here worth reading, too!
Yellowstone is an American drama series that zooms in on the family conflicts surrounding the Dutton family ranch. Many other organizations and institutions are involved in these conflicts, but the family’s primary goal is to keep their farm at the top.
It’s gritty and will constantly keep you on your toes. However, besides that, Yellowstone has some much-needed wisdom on love, life, and family.
These lessons could be picked up from basically anywhere and anyone in the series, as they all have something meaningful to say about these topics. For example, John Dutton teaches us about family and business, and Beth Dutton and Rip Wheeler share lessons on love and sacrifice.
However, we must not forget about the rest of the characters, as they, too, are excellent sources of wisdom. If you’re curious about the lessons you can learn from the show, read all the Yellowstone quotes below.
Best Yellowstone Quotes
1. “When the misery is bad enough, tomorrow is rarely factored into decisions.” – Monica Long Dutton
2. “You know, when you boil life down, it’s funny just how little you need, isn’t it?” – Rip Wheeler
3. “Soldiers don’t tell war stories anymore, Dad, because wars these days, it’s just about trying to live through them.” – Kayce Dutton
4. “‘Should’ is a useless word, almost as useless as ‘Hope.’” – Willa Hayes
5. “I made two bad decisions in my life based on fear, and they cost me everything.” – Beth Dutton
6. “There’s sharks and minnows in this world. If you don’t know which you are, you ain’t a shark.” – Rip Wheeler
7. “You realize you ain’t dead, and you’re not gonna die, and you gotta face all the decisions you made.” – John Dutton
8. “Well, ain’t that the thing about problems, Dad? No matter how long you’re gone, they’ll be right here when you get back.” – Kayce Dutton
9. Tate Dutton: “Well, if ranching is so hard, why do we do it?”
John Dutton: “Because it’s one hell of a life, Tate. One hell of a life.”
Famous Yellowstone Quotes
10. “God sure finds interesting ways to put people out of business.” – Kayce Dutton
11. “You know what work is, don’t you?” – Rip Wheeler
12. “Leverage is knowing that if someone had all the money in the world, this is what they’d buy.” – John Dutton
13. “Lawyers are the swords of this century. Words are weapons now. I need you to learn how to use them.” – John Dutton
14. “Life is plenty hard. You don’t need to help it, you hear me?” – Rip Wheeler
15. “I don’t choose the way. I make sure no one questions yours.” – John Dutton
Yellowstone Quotes Packed With Lessons to Live By
16. “No one has a right. You have to take a right, or stop it from being taken from you.” – John Dutton
17. “The whole world’s a test, son. Don’t let them ever trick you into thinking differently.” – John Dutton
18. “Be a man about it. Don’t scream.” – Rip Wheeler
19. “Pray like hell, and hold on.” – Lloyd Pierce
20. “Your grandfather used to say you can’t fix a broken wagon wheel, but you can use the parts to make a new one.” – John Dutton
Yellowstone Quotes About Family and Sacrifice
21. “Serve your father’s family or serve your own. Like it or not, that choice is coming.” – Christina
22. “You can’t unmake family, Jamie, but you can take their gold card.” – Beth Dutton
23. “A man who puts a hand on a member of my family never puts a hand on anything else.” – Jamie Dutton
24. “My mother was the spine of this family. She was the center. Without her, he’s—well, the best of him died with her.” – Beth Dutton
25. “There’s no greater failure than a parent outliving their child because it’s the one failure that you just can’t ever overcome.” – Dan Jenkins
26. “Someday, your son’s gonna test you. He’s gonna force you to make a decision that not only determines his future but your place in it.” – John Dutton
27. “If hating me keeps you from hating yourself, I’ll be there for you; that’s what family’s for.” – Jamie Dutton
Wise Yellowstone Quotes on Life
28. “You’re either born a willow or born an oak. That’s all there is to it.” – Lloyd Pierce
29. “Learn to be meaner than evil and still love your family and enjoy a sunrise.” – John Dutton
30. “There’s monsters everywhere in this world. You just gotta kill ‘em when you find ‘em.” – Kayce Dutton
31. “Living day to day isn’t living, Monica, it’s surviving, with no regard for tomorrow.” – John Dutton
32. “You know, you did something that no one does, Rip. You’ve outlived your past.” – Lloyd Pierce
33. “It’s the one constant in life. You build something worth having, someone’s gonna try to take it.” – John Dutton
34. “No one will mourn your loss, son, because this isn’t losing your life; this is quitting it.” – John Dutton
35. “People talk about makin’ a difference, but they don’t because they don’t try. They don’t risk. You risked—everything. Today, you made a difference.” – Chief Thomas Rainwater
Yellowstone Quotes That’ll Teach You About Love
36. “You ever have a girl look at you, and your whole world just stops?” – Jimmy Hurdstrom
37. “I believe in lovin’ with your whole soul and destroying anything that wants to kill what you love. That’s it. That’s all there is.” – Beth Dutton
38. “Well, that’s what it means. It means that you have me, that I’m yours. It means come live your life with me. The only thing I ask is that you outlive me, so I never live another day without you.” – Beth Dutton
39. “God wouldn’t let you love somethin’ that can’t love you back.” – Kayce Dutton
40. “My tomorrows are, well, they’re all words. There’s no word I’d rather call you if that’s what you want.” – Rip Wheeler
Funny Yellowstone Quotes for Some Giggles
41. “I hope I never meet the first man who thought it was a good idea to ride a bull.” – Carl
42. “Well, if you’re marrying Beth, you’ve already proved you’re not scared of anything.” – John Dutton
43. “Every so often, you say something that makes me think you’re smart. And then I look at you, and that thought fades.” – Beth Dutton
44. “If men were responsible for giving birth, the human race wouldn’t have lasted two generations.” – Evelyn Dutton
45. “Well, I’d offer my advice, Dad. But I’ve never been in that situation.” – Beth Dutton
46. “There ain’t no such thing as luck, but I sure believe in stupid cause’ you prove it every fuckin’ day!” – Rip Wheeler
Short Yellowstone Quotes That’ll Make You Think Twice
47. “Karma comes in all shapes and sizes. Guess it’s me today.” – Walker
48. “All the angels are gone, son. There’s only devils left.” – John Dutton
49. “Everything I do is for him, and everything you do is for you.” – Beth Dutton
50. “Why do all my children have to leave to find happiness?” – John Dutton
51. “We don’t kill sheep; we kill wolves.” – John Dutton
52. “All men are bad. But some of us try real hard to be good.” – Chief Thomas Rainwater
Yellowstone Quotes to Revisit Your Favorite Scenes
53. “I have been down this road many, many times before, buddy. And no one who tried it is alive to tell you how poorly that worked out for them.” – Beth Dutton
54. “Where’s the fun in wrecking a single man? When I break you, I want to know I’m breaking generations.” – Beth Dutton
55. “Cancer doesn’t have much foresight, so it kills its hosts, which kills it. Cancer is suicide from the inside out. That’s what you are, Beth.” – Rip Wheeler
Who Do You Think Is the Wisest and Most Impactful Character From Yellowstone?
Yellowstone is such a hit series, not just because of its cast. It’s also a fan favorite because of the meaningful lessons embedded in each episode, character backstory, and season.
For one, through John Dutton, we realize just how important it is to stand by one’s family. When everything else around us crumbles, when we look back, the only ones who are keeping us standing are our family.
Also, like Jamie Dutton said, “If hating me keeps you from hating yourself, I’ll be there for you; that’s what family’s for.” Our family members are ready to sacrifice anything and everything for our happiness.
Love is also a core lesson that serves as Yellowstone’s foundation. This is mainly applied to Beth Dutton and Rip Wheeler’s journey.
Ever since the first season, the two have had a mutual attraction. Rip and Beth both came from troubled and painful pasts, but their love for each other allowed them to keep going, no matter how hard.
Love and family are essential to living a happy, full, and content life. So, keep the Yellowstone quotes above in your bookmarks so you have something to look back on when you need some reminders!