Get ready for strange and unusual lines when you read these Beetlejuice quotes!
Tim Burton is known for creating fantastic movies in the horror and fantasy genres. Out of his works, one of the best ones is Beetlejuice. This 1988 release gives us a glimpse of life after death through a couple who recently passed away.
The storyline is weirdly fascinating, as it allows discussion for a topic we all don’t understand thoroughly. Our afterlife is a big mystery, and different cultures and religions have various opinions about what happens in it.
No matter what it is, Beetlejuice helps us understand that death is not the end of us. Though it’s a work of fiction, it still gives us hope, in a way, that life will go on even after death.
If you’re curious about this movie, read on! We’ve gathered the best Beetlejuice quotes just for you!
Best Beetlejuice Quotes
1. “Never trust the living.” – Juno
2. “Let’s turn on the juice and see what shakes loose.” – Betelgeuse
3. “What’s the good of being a ghost if you can’t frighten people away?” – Barbara Maitland
4. Charles Deetz: “As soon as we get settled, we’ll build you a darkroom in the basement, okay?”
Lydia Deetz: “My whole life is a dark room. One big dark room.”
Delia Deetz: “So you were miserable in New York City, and now you’re going to be miserable out here in the sticks. At least someone’s life hasn’t been upheaved.”
5. “I know just as much about the supernatural as I do about interior design.” – Otho
6. Barbara Maitland: “She didn’t see you, right?”
Adam Maitland: “Uh uh.”
Barbara Maitland: “In the book, ‘Rule number two: the living usually won’t see the dead.’
Adam Maitland: ‘’Won’t’ or ‘can’t?’”
Barbara Maitland: “It just says ‘won’t.’ God, this book is so stupid. I can’t understand anything in it.”
Adam Maitland: “Barb, honey, we’re dead. I don’t think we have very much to worry about anymore.”
7. “The only one I think I can deal with is Edgar Allan Poe’s daughter. I think she understands me.” – Betelgeuse
8. Adam Maitland: “You can see us without the sheets?”
Lydia Deetz: “Of course, I can see you.”
Adam Maitland:” Well, how is it you see us and nobody else can?”
Lydia Deetz: “Well, I’ve read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says, ‘Live people ignore the strange and unusual.’ I myself am strange and unusual.”
Barbara Maitland: “You look like a regular girl to me.”
9. Adam Maitland: “What are your qualifications?”
Betelgeuse: “Well, I attended Juilliard. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I’ve seen The Exorcist about 167 times, and it keeps getting funnier every single time I see it! Not to mention the fact that you’re talking to a dead guy. Now, what do you think? You think I’m qualified?”
10. Beryl: “Paranormal, is that what they’re calling your kind these days?”
Otho: “Don’t mind her. She’s still upset that somebody dropped a house on her sister.”
Beetlejuice Quotes to Give You Chills
11. “It’s showtime.” – Betelgeuse
12. “There’s a word for people in our situation: ghosts.” – Adam Maitland
13. Lydia Deetz: “Mr. and Mrs. Maitland? Hello? Where are you?”
Betelgeuse: “Dead. Dead, dead, deadski.”
Lydia Deetz: “Of course they’re dead. They’re ghosts.”
Betelgeuse: “No, I mean, they’re gone, split, out of here, afterlife kids, deceased.”
Lydia Deetz: “Are you a ghost, too?”
Betelgeuse: “I’m a ghost with the most, babe.”
14. Charred Man: “Want a cigarette?”
Adam Maitland: “No, thank you.”
Charred Man: “I’m trying to cut down myself.”
15. “Go ahead, make my millennium.” – Betelgeuse
16. “I am alone. I am utterly alone.” – Lydia Deetz
17. “I wanna be dead too.” – Lydia Deetz
18. Adam Maitland: “Aren’t you scared?”
Lydia Deetz: “I’m not scared of sheets. Are you gross under there? Are you ‘Night of the Living Dead’ under there? Like all bloody veins and pus?”
Adam Maitland: “Night of the what?”
Lydia Deetz: “‘Living Dead.’ It’s a movie.”
Barbara Maitland: “You know, if I had seen a ghost at your age, I would have been scared out of my wits.”
19. “A little gasoline, blowtorch, no problem.” – Delia Deetz
20. Barbara Maitland: “We’re very unhappy.”
Juno: “What did you expect? You’re dead.”
Beetlejuice Quotes That Are Worth Your While
21. “Where are all the other dead people in the world? Why is it just you and me?” – Barbara Maitland
22. “In heaven, there wouldn’t be dust on everything.” – Barbara Maitland
23. “Maybe you can relax in a haunted house, but I can’t.” – Lydia Deetz
24. “These aren’t my rules. Come to think of it. I don’t have any rules.” – Betelgeuse
More Beetlejuice Quotes for Tim Burton Movie Fans
25. “Please, they’re dead. It’s a little late to be neurotic.” – Delia Deetz
26. “This is my art, and it is dangerous. You think I want to die like this?” – Delia Deetz
27. “You have got to take the upper hand in all situations, or people, whether they’re dead or alive, will walk all over you.” – Delia Deetz
28. Barbara Maitland: “Adam, is this what happens when you die?”
Miss Argentina: “This is what happens when you die. That is what happens when he dies. And that is what happens when they die. It’s all very personal. And I’ll tell you something: if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn’t have had my little accident.”
29. “I’ll eat anything you want me to eat, I’ll swallow anything you want me to swallow! So, come on down, and I’ll chew on a dog!” – Betelgeuse
30. “Not so fast, round boy. We’re gonna have some laughs.” – Betelgeuse
Do You Think There’s Still Life After Death?
Beetlejuice takes on an idealistic approach when it comes to the topic of life and death. It makes us believe that passing away doesn’t mean an end; it’s just the start of a new journey.
This message is not something everyone can—or want to—believe. But, it’s still comforting that there’s a possibility that we can continue our journey in the afterlife.
More than that, Beetlejuice shows us that our decisions here on Earth cause a domino effect that will affect us even after we pass away. In one of the scenes, a receptionist in the Neitherworld shows us how one’s death is very personal. What you do on Earth or how you die ripples down into the Land of the Dead and marks how you’ll continue your journey there.
Everyone must be mindful of this fact. The consequences of our actions might not always be evident in the beginning, but know that they will backfire at one point or another. So, be prepared and never do something you’ll regret later on.
Beetlejuice is a funny movie that takes a refreshing approach when discussing deep and dark topics like death. With that, we hope we were able to give you a good laugh while teaching you meaningful morals through this list of quotes.