Get your golf clubs ready as we embark on a thrilling ride through these Caddyshack quotes we’ve rounded up.
Caddyshack is one of America’s most iconic sports comedy movies ever released. It’s even considered to be the jump-off point of many similar movies produced after it. Well, that’s really no surprise, as it’s one of the highest-grossing movies of 1980.
It’s considered one of the funniest sports comedy movies ever made, with its own following. A lot of its parts were also made up on the spot, including Bill Murray’s infamous Cinderella monologue. Perhaps it’s because of this that Caddyshack remains in the hearts of its fans.
However, besides that, Caddyshack also tells us a great deal about underdogs, sports, and unexpected surprises. To know more about these topics, read on.
Here’s the complete list.
And don’t forget to check out Carl Spackler quotes and Groundhog Day quotes.
Best Caddyshack Quotes
1. “The shortest distance between two points is a straight line in the complete and opposite direction.” – Ty Webb
2. “I’m going to give you a little advice. There’s a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.” – Ty Webb
3. “Remember Danny—two wrongs don’t make a right, but three rights make a left.” – Ty Webb
4. “Don’t be obsessed with your desires, Danny. The Zen philosopher, Basho, once wrote, ‘A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole is a Danish.’ He was a funny guy.” – Ty Webb
5. “Danny, see your future. Be your future.” – Ty Webb
6. Carl Spackler: “Your place got a pool?”
Ty Webb: “We have a pond in the back. We have a pool and a pond. Pond’d be good for you.”
7. “I have to laugh because I’ve outsmarted even myself. My enemy, my foe, is an animal. In order to conquer the animal, I have to learn to think like an animal. And, whenever possible, to look like one. I’ve gotta get inside this guy’s pelt and crawl around for a few days.” – Carl Spackler
8. “The world needs ditch diggers, too.” – Judge Elihu Smails
9. Ty Webb: “For me, there’s a subtle perfection in everything I do. I have my own standards, my own way. in everything I do. I’ve got my own standards, my own way.”
Lacey Underall: “My uncle says you’ve got a screw loose.”
Ty Webb: “Oh yeah? Your uncle molests collies.”
Famous Caddyshack Quotes
10. “Thank you very little.” – Ty Webb
11. Judge Elihu Smails: “You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he’s been club champion for three years running, and I’m no slouch myself.”
Ty Webb: “Don’t sell yourself, short Judge; you’re a tremendous slouch.”
12. “So I got that going for me, which is nice.” – Carl Spackler
13. “Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?” – Al Czervik
14. “Hey everybody, we’re all gonna get laid!” – Al Czervik
15. “Oh, this your wife, huh? A lovely lady. Hey, baby, you must’ve been something before electricity.” – Al Czervik
Caddyshack Quotes to Reflect On
16. “Country clubs and cemeteries are the biggest wasters of prime real estate!” – Al Czervik
17. “Greed, for lack of a better word, is good.” – Al Czervik
18. “Whoa, did somebody step on a duck?” – Al Czervik
19. “You’ll get nothing and like it.” – Judge Elihu Smails
20. “The last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it.” – Al Czervik
More Caddyshack Quotes for Fans of Golf
21. Ty Webb: “You take drugs, Danny?”
Danny Noonan: “Every day.”
Ty Webb: “Good.”
22. Richard Richards: “Better come in till this blows over.”
Bishop Fred Pickering: “What do you think, fella?”
Carl Spackler: “I’d keep playing. I don’t think the heavy stuff’s gonna come down for quite a while.”
Bishop Fred Pickering: “You’re right. Anyway, the Good Lord would never disrupt the best game of my life.”
23. Judge Elihu Smails: “Ty, what did you shoot today?”
Ty Webb: “Oh, Judge, I don’t keep score.”
Judge Elihu Smails: “Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?”
Ty Webb: “By height.”
24. “What an incredible Cinderella story! This unknown, comes out of nowhere, to lead the pack at Augusta. He’s at the final hole. He’s about 455 yards away, he’s gonna hit about a 2-iron, I think. Oh, he got all of that. The crowd is standing on its feet here at Augusta. The normally reserved crowd is going wild for this young Cinderella who’s come out of nowhere. He’s got about 350 yards left, he’s going to hit about a 5-iron, it looks like, don’t you think? He’s got a beautiful backswing. That’s—oh, he got all of that one! He’s gotta be pleased with that! The crowd is just on its feet here. He’s a Cinderella boy. Tears in his eyes, I guess, as he lines up this last shot. He’s got about 195 yards left, and he’s got a, looks like he’s got about an 8-iron. This crowd has gone deadly silent. Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac—it’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” – Carl Spackler
25. Judge Elihu Smails: “Spaulding, get dressed; you’re playing golf.”
Spaulding Smails: “No, I’m not, Grandpa. I’m playing tennis.”
Judge Elihu Smails: “You’re playing golf, and you’re going to like it.”
Spaulding Smails: “What about my asthma?”
Judge Elihu Smails: “I’ll give you asthma.”
Is Caddyshack One of Your Go-to Sports Comedy Movies?
Underdogs are present in any sport and possibly every career. Some might belittle them and only consider consistent top performers as true winners. But, let’s not forget that there are also times when these underdogs win above everyone else.
In a way, underdogs’ stories resemble Cinderella’s, which Carl Spackler explained. In one of his quotes, he says that sometimes, winning comes out of nowhere—unexpected, unforeseen, and unpredictable. Winning is many things, but it’s never impossible.
Caddyshack might be a comedy movie at heart, but if you try to understand it more profoundly, we still learn valuable lessons we can apply in life. Everyone has a goal they want to achieve, and though it might seem unattainable at first, don’t be fooled and don’t give up. Pursue it, give your all, and you might just achieve your own Cinderella ending.
Let Caddyshack’s characters inspire you through the quotes we’ve compiled in this list. Sports fan or not, we hope to have imparted some meaningful morals that will be useful to you!