Let this list of contentment quotes give insights into how important it is to live with gratitude and appreciation.
Selfishness is a natural human trait. After all, we all strive to improve and make ourselves the best out of everyone else. However, while it’s okay to want to do better and achieve more, we must also keep ourselves in check and not be too greedy.
We must learn to find contentment in all things―big and small. If we live contently, we’ll realize how beautiful and extravagant life is. Once we look at what we have instead of what we lack, we’ll live happier and more fulfilling lives.
So, learn the value of being grateful and appreciative of what you have through this list of contentment quotes. Don’t miss out on the best words of wisdom that can change your life!
And make sure to read these happiness quotes.
Best Contentment Quotes
1. “True contentment is not having everything, but in being satisfied with everything you have.” – Oscar Wilde
2. “A contented heart is a calm sea in the midst of all storms.” – Anonymous
3. “Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.” – Lao Tzu
4. “I am content; that is a blessing greater than riches, and he to whom that is given need ask no more.” – Henry Fielding
5. “To be content doesn’t mean you don’t desire more; it means you’re thankful for what you have and patient for what’s to come.” – Tony Gaskins
6. “If you’re not content with the small things, then you won’t be content with the big things.” – Anthony Liccione
Famous Contentment Quotes
7. “Contentment is the greatest form of wealth.” – Acharya Nagarjuna
8. “If one’s life is simple, contentment has to come.” – Dalai Lama
9. “Contentment comes from many great and small acceptances in life.” – Anonymous
10. “Contentment consists not in adding more fuel but in taking away some fire.” – Thomas Fuller
11. “The greatest wealth is to live content with little.” – Plato
12. “He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have.” – Socrates
13. “Contentment is a wealth that is never exhausted.” – Ali ibn Abi Talib
14. “If you are not content today, there is nothing you can buy tomorrow to change that.” – Joshua Becker
Contentment Quotes for Your Encouragement
15. “Just become totally content and happy from within. Then you will get all that you want.” – Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
16. “Contentment is not achieved by having stuff. It is achieved by enjoying the stuff you have.” – Alan Cohen
17. “Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
18. “When you are discontent, you always want more, more, more. Your desire can never be satisfied. But when you practice contentment, you can say to yourself, ‘Oh yes―I already have everything that I really need.’” – Dalai Lama
Short Contentment Quotes That You Should Keep In Mind
19. “True humility is contentment.” – Henri Frederic Amiel
20. “Contentment is an inexhaustible treasure.” – The Prophet Muhammad
21. “We need much less than we think we need.” – Maya Angelou
22. “True contentment is within.” – Anonymous
23. “We are not rich by what we possess but by what we can do without.” – Immanuel Kant
24. “Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty.” – Socrates
25. “I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.” – Walt Whitman
26. “Search for contentment in each person you meet.” – Steve Maraboli
27. “The greatest life is the joy of contentment.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
Contentment Quotes to Show You How Beautiful Life Already Is
28. “At some point, you gotta let go, and sit still, and allow contentment to come to you.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
29. “Contentment is a state of happiness and satisfaction. The choices we make are our own decisions for how we want to live our life.” – Ellen J. Barrier
30. “The greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances.” – Martha Washington
31. “For just one second, look at your life and see how perfect it is. Stop looking for the next secret door that is going to lead you to your real life. Stop waiting. This is it: there’s nothing else. It’s here, and you’d better decide to enjoy it, or you’re going to be miserable wherever you go, for the rest of your life, forever.” – Lev Grossman
Meaningful Contentment Quotes Packed With Insights
32. “I don’t have everything I want, but I have everything I need. That’s contentment.” – James MacDonald
33. “Contentment always eludes those who don’t count themselves blessed for what they already have.” – Anonymous
34. “You are only a poor person if you are not happy with what you have.” – Debasish Mridha
35. “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” – Oprah Winfrey
36. “I have learned to seek my happiness by limiting my desires rather than in attempting to satisfy them.” – John Stuart Mill
Contentment Quotes to Strengthen Your Faith in God
37. “Contentment does not come from achievement. It comes from a relationship with the Lord.” – Paul Henderson
38. “Contentment is an attitude that says, ‘I will be satisfied with what God has given me.’” – Anonymous
39. “Contentment is realizing that God has already provided everything we need for our present happiness.” – Bill Gothard
40. “Contentment is one of the most distinguishing traits of the godly person because a godly person has his heart focused on God rather than on possessions or position or power.” – Jerry Bridges
Contentment Quotes That’ll Leave You Feeling Satisfied
41. “Comparison makes finding contentment a million times harder.” – Anonymous
42. “The world is full of people looking for spectacular happiness while they snub contentment.” – Doug Larson
43. “There is no end to craving. Hence contentment alone is the best way to happiness. Therefore, acquire contentment.” – Sivananda
44. “It is not being out at heels that makes a man discontented; it is being out at heart. To be contented is to be good friends with yourself.” – Bliss Carman
Contentment Quotes to Reflect On
45. “Contentment is the soul’s enjoyment of that peace that passes all understanding.” – Arthur W. Pink
46. “It’s up to us to choose contentment and thankfulness now—and to stop imagining that we have to have everything perfect before we’ll be happy.” – Joanna Gaines
47. “A contented mind is the greatest blessing a man can enjoy in this world.” – Joseph Addison
48. “We should purify our innate well of contentment―what a wonderful expression―and then external things will be in harmony with us.” – Eckhart Tolle
Contentment Quotes for Those Who Tend to Be Greedy
49. “True contentment depends not upon what we have; a tub was large enough for Diogenes, but a world was too little for Alexander.” – Charles Caleb Colton
50. “Money can buy happiness but not contentment.” – T. Josh
51. “A man should always consider how much he has more than he wants.” – Joseph Addison
52. “You can own everything in the world, but if you lack contentment, you’ll never be happy.” – Anonymous
53. “Content makes poor men rich; discontent makes rich men poor.” – Benjamin Franklin
54. “If there is any one thing that will bring peace and contentment into the human heart and into the family, it is to live within our means.” – Heber J. Grant
55. “You say, ‘If I had a little more, I should be very satisfied.’ You make a mistake. If you are not content with what you have, you would not be satisfied if it were doubled.” – Charles Spurgeon
More Quotes About Contentment
56. “Contentment is the foundation of true happiness. The happiness that comes from fulfilling desires can never be permanent.” – RVM
57. “Contentment is, after all, simply refined indolence.” – Thomas Chandler Haliburton
58. “One should either be sad or joyful. Contentment is a warm sty for eaters and sleepers.” – Eugene O’Neill
59. “Contentment is work so engrossing that you do not know that you are working.” – Donald Hall
60. “Contentment preserves one from catching a cold. Has a woman who knew that she was well dressed ever caught a cold? No, not even when she had scarcely a rag on her back.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
Did These Contentment Quotes Give You a Whole New Perspective in Life?
We all strive for happiness in our lives. Because of this, most think that we have to attain more of everything―more money, fame, influence, power, and others. Albeit it can bring you joy, it’s only short-term; it will never lead you to consistent and true happiness.
To be happy, we must be content with what we have rather than focusing on things we don’t have. We’ll be so much richer if we can see the value of the little things rather than constantly striving for more.
If you just listen to your desires, your wants will be never-ending. This will then lead you to think you are poor and lacking when in fact, you’re not―you’re already rich beyond compare!
So, as you’ve learned from the quotes above, live contently! Your life will truly change for the better once you’ve become much more appreciative of everything you already have.