Reading these forgive yourself quotes that will help you let go of all the anger, hurt, resentment, and regrets you have in life.
Everyone knows the struggle to forgive ourselves. It is hard to do because we think we deserve all the hurt and punishment we’re currently experiencing.
We are too stuck with what we’ve done in the past that we never really let go and move forward.
While it is good to give ourselves some time to reflect on what we’ve done, it will be counterproductive if we never progress.
If we make a mistake, we must learn from it and try our best never to do it again. We should not punish ourselves to the point that we never grow.
So, if you want to learn about self-forgiveness, include our collection on your must-read list.
Keep reading below to help you practice love and compassion for yourself!
Best Forgive Yourself Quotes
1. “Learn from the past, be thankful for the past, forgive the mistakes of the past, and let it go.” – Debasish Mridha
2. “Take a walk through the garden of forgiveness and pick a flower of forgiveness for everything you have ever done. When you get to that time that is now, make full and total forgiveness of your entire life and smile at the bouquet in your hands because it truly is beautiful.” – Stephen Richards
3. “When a deep injury is done to us, we never heal until we forgive.” – Nelson Mandela
4. “Forgiveness is not just what we receive. It is also what we give to ourselves.” – Ogwo David Emenike
5. “Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does change the future.” – Paul Lewis Boese
6. “You forgive yourself for every failure because you are trying to do the right thing. God knows that, and you know it. Nobody else may know it.” – Maya Angelou
7. “Forgive yourself first. Let go of past hurts and direct your spirit to goodness and hope by having gratitude.” – Janet Taylor Spence
8. “Perhaps, if you knew then what you know now, you would have done it differently. You are a different person today. Forgive yourself, and move on.” – Germany Kent
9. “Forgive yourself for what you think you’ve done or not done. At every moment, you had your reasons for all of your actions and decisions. You’ve always done the best that you could do. Forgive yourself.” – Doreen Virtue
10. “Forgive yourself. You are not perfect. Show yourself grace. You are still learning. Show yourself patience. You are on a journey.” – Shannon Yvette Tanner
11. “No one can or will ever feel your pain as much as you. Forgive yourself for the past, seize the gift of the present moment.” – K.J. Kilton
12. “Forgive yourself first. Release the need to replay a negative situation over and over again in your mind. Don’t become a hostage to your past by always reviewing and reliving your mistakes. Don’t remind yourself of what should have, could have, or would have been. Release it and let it go. Move on.” – Les Brown
Forgive Yourself Quotes That’ll Inspire You to Have Self-Compassion
13. “Be courageous enough to forgive yourself. Never forget to be compassionate to yourself.” – Debasish Mridha
14. “Embrace and love all of yourself—past, present, and future. Forgive yourself quickly and as often as necessary. Encourage yourself. Tell yourself good things about yourself.” – Melody Beattie
15. “Love yourself, accept yourself, forgive yourself, and be good to yourself, because, without you, the rest of us are without a source of many wonderful things.” – Leo F. Buscaglia
16. “Offer yourself the same forgiveness that you’ve shared with others. You are deserving.” – Anonymous
17. “Choose every day to forgive yourself. You are human, flawed, and most of all, worthy of love.” – Alison Malee
18. “Forgive yourself. The supreme act of forgiveness is when you can forgive yourself for all the wounds you’ve created in your own life. Forgiveness is an act of self-love. When you forgive yourself, self-acceptance begins, and self-love grows.” – Don Miguel Ruiz
19. “Forgive yourself for the blindness that put you in the path of those who betrayed you. Sometimes, a good heart doesn’t see the bad.” – Keith Foo
20. “The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward.” – Steve Maraboli
21. “I have learned that the person I have to ask for forgiveness from the most is myself. You must love yourself. You have to forgive yourself every day. Whenever you remember a shortcoming, a flaw, you have to tell yourself, ‘That’s just fine.’ You have to forgive yourself so much until you don’t even see those things anymore. Because that’s what love is like.” – C. JoyBell C.
22. “In order to heal, we must first forgive, and sometimes, the person we must forgive is ourselves.” – Mila Bron
23. “Forgiving yourself is as important as forgiving others. Guilt is toxic, reliving the mistake over and over. Love yourself. Forgive yourself.” – Azim Senna
24. “You cannot travel back in time to fix your mistakes, but you can learn from them and forgive yourself for not knowing better.” – Leon Brown
Short Forgive Yourself Quotes to Keep In Your Heart
25. “Forgive yourself as you strive to be your best self.” – Angel Moreira
26. “The more you know yourself, the more you forgive yourself.” – Confucius
27. “Forgive yourself for your faults and your mistakes and move on.” – Les Brown
28. “You need to learn to accept your flaws and forgive yourself.” – Susan Mallery
29. “Forgive yourself, but don’t forget.” – Alexandra Bracken
30. “Forgive yourself and welcome love back into your life.” – Wayne Dyer
Forgive Yourself Quotes That Are Full of Wisdom
31. “Forgive the past and let it go with great gratitude. It will allow us to embrace the present and future with love, enthusiasm, and passion.” – Debasish Mridha
32. “It is such a great moment of liberation when you learn to forgive yourself, let the burden go, and walk out into a new path of promise and possibility.” – John O’Donohue
33. “Do as the heavens have done, forget your evil. With them, forgive yourself.” – William Shakespeare
34. “The past doesn’t determine your future unless you carry it with you into the present. Forgiving yourself and others, you free the universe to begin again at any moment.” – Marianne Williamson
35. “If we all hold on to the mistake, we can’t see our own glory in the mirror because we have the mistake between our faces and the mirror. We can’t see what we’re capable of being. You can ask forgiveness of others, but in the end, the real forgiveness is in one’s own self.” – Maya Angelou
36. “It’s toughest to forgive ourselves. So it’s probably best to start with other people. It’s almost like peeling an onion. Layer by layer, forgiving others, you really do get to the point where you can forgive yourself.” – Patty Duke
37. “Everyone makes mistakes. The wise are not people who never make mistakes, but those who forgive themselves and learn from their mistakes.” – Ajahn Brahm
38. “People can be more forgiving than you can imagine. But you have to forgive yourself. Let go of what’s bitter, and move on.” – Bill Cosby
Forgive Yourself Quotes That’ll Give You Peace of Mind
39. “Forgiveness is for yourself because it frees you. It lets you out of that prison you put yourself in.” – Louise Hay
40. “Turn down the volume of your negative inner voice and create a nurturing inner voice to take its place. When you make a mistake, forgive yourself, learn from it, and move on instead of obsessing about it. Equally important, don’t allow anyone else to dwell on your mistakes or shortcomings or to expect perfection from you.” – Beverly Engel
41. “You will have no peace until you have discovered how to forgive yourself, to forgive other people, and let them forgive you.” – Dorothy Rowe
42. “We all make mistakes, don’t we? But if you can’t forgive yourself, you’ll always be an exile in your own life.” – Curtis Sittenfeld
43. “When we learn to soften, we respond to our pain from a place of ease. We acknowledge the pain we hold, but we soften the grip, cradle our struggles and try not to attach to them. We forgive ourselves, others, and find the path towards peace.” – Hania Khuri-Trapper
44. “Bring it up, make amends, forgive yourself. It sounds simple, but don’t think for a second that it is easy. Getting free from the tyranny of past mistakes can be hard work but definitely worth the effort. And the payoff is health, wholeness, and inner peace. In other words, you get your life back.” – Steve Goodier
Powerful Forgive Yourself Quotes for Everyone Who Made Mistakes in the Past
45. “Forgive yourself. If you could have done better, you would have.” – Anonymous
46. “Stop beating yourself up because of your past bad decisions. No one’s past is spotless. Learn from your past and start over. God’s mercies are endless.” – Terraine Francois
47. “The most basic method one can use to let go of the past is by looking at it as a learning experience.” – Stephen Richards
48. “Forget your past, forgive yourself, and begin again.” – Anonymous
49. “You can sit there forever, lamenting about how bad you’ve been, feeling guilty until you die, and not one tiny slice of that guilt will do anything to change a single thing in the past. Forgive yourself, then move on!” – Wayne Dyer
50. “You cannot win your future if you cannot forgive your past.” – Ikechukwu Joseph
51. “Forgive yourself for the bad decisions, for the times you lacked understanding, for the choices that hurt others and yourself.” – Marc and Angel Chernoff
52. “Dwelling on past bad decisions you’ve made only allows those decisions to keep defining you. Forgive yourself, and move on.” – Anonymous
53. “Forgiving yourself means that you give up on your hope that the past will be different.” – Anonymous
Forgive Yourself Quotes From the Bible
54. “You, Lord, are forgiving and good, abounding in love to all who call to you.” – Psalm 86:5
55. “Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.” – Luke 6:37
56. “If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins.” – Matthew 6:14-15
More Quotes on Forgiving Yourself
57. “Forgive yourself for not knowing what you didn’t know before you learned it.” – Maya Angelou
58. “I think one of the most important things is starting off the day forgiving others and forgiving yourself. You learn from your mistakes, but I don’t think you have to drag them back into today.” – Joel Osteen
59. “Whatever you’ve done before, accept it and let it go. Forgive yourself because it’s the only way to start again.” – Anonymous
60. “Forgive yourself for the decisions you have made, the ones you still call mistakes when you tuck them in at night.” – Sarah Kay
Do You Think It’s Important to Forgive Yourself?
Forgiving ourselves is an essential part of healing and growth. Without letting go of our past mistakes and anger, we can never move on from what happened. We will also never see it as a learning opportunity to do better in the future.
To let go of the past, we must see it as something we cannot change and return to. We should accept that we never knew any better before, but now, there is hope to improve ourselves and the future.
Once we’ve forgiven ourselves, we will have a more positive outlook toward life and our relationships with people. It is a necessary step that will help us succeed in everything we do. In addition, we can also look forward to a brighter future by recognizing the power of self-forgiveness.
Hopefully, these quotes were able to open your eyes to the importance of self-forgiveness. Let go of all the negative emotions and look forward to a brighter future!