Gain a much deeper understanding of the world and your choices through this list of Interstellar quotes!
Human life is dependent on the resources that Earth provides us. However, due to our greed, we keep wanting things we don’t need, leading to waste and extinction. Thus, slowly, we are destroying our planet and our only source of life.
So, in Interstellar, the bravest of all humans go on a quest to find a new home for humanity. Of course, this is a life-threatening journey with no sure outcome. They could either succeed or perish in the vast universe.
Interstellar is a story of hope, love, and sacrifice. It gives us a glimpse into the beauty and destruction that humanity holds. If you’re curious about the movie, read on, as we have its best quotes!
Best Interstellar Quotes
1. “We’ve always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we’ve just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we’ve barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us—that our destiny lies above us.” – Joseph Cooper
2. “Don’t trust the right thing done for the wrong reason. The why of the thing, that’s the foundation.” – Donald
3. “Maybe it means something more—something we can’t yet understand. Maybe it’s some evidence, some artifact of a higher dimension that we can’t consciously perceive. I’m drawn across the universe to someone I haven’t seen in a decade, who I know is probably dead. Love is the one thing we’re capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space. Maybe we should trust that—even if we can’t understand it.” – Dr. Amelia Brand
4. “Murphy’s law doesn’t mean that something bad will happen. What it means is whatever can happen, will happen.” – Joseph Cooper
5. “We used to look up in the sky and wonder at our place in the stars. Now we just look down and worry about our place in the dirt.” – Joseph Cooper
6. “You said science was about admitting what we don’t know.” – Greg
7. “A machine doesn’t improvise well because you cannot program a fear of death. Our survival instinct is our greatest source of inspiration.” – Dr. Mann
8. “Accident is the first building block of evolution.” – Dr. Amelia Brand
9. “Mankind was born on Earth; it was never meant to die here.” – Joseph Cooper
10. “Then get out there and save them. We must reach far beyond our own lifespans. we must think not as individuals but as species. we must confront the reality of interstellar travel.” – Dr. Amelia Brand
11. “You might have to decide between seeing your children again and the future of the human race.” – Dr. Amelia Brand
12. “Parents are the ghosts of their children’s future. I can’t be your ghost anymore, Murph.” – Joseph Cooper
13. Joseph Cooper: “So, how do you plan on saving the world?”
Dr. Amelia Brand: “We’re not meant to save the world; we’re meant to leave it.”
14. “We didn’t run out of television screens and planes; we ran out of food.” – School Principal
Interstellar Quotes That Are Out of This World
15. TARS: “I have a cue light I can use to show you when I’m joking if you like.”
Joseph Cooper: “That might help.”
TARS: “Yeah, you can use it to find your way back to the ship after I blow you out of the airlock.”
16. “You’re telling me it takes two numbers to measure your own ass but only one to measure my son’s future?” – Joseph Cooper
17. “Do not go gentle into that good night; old age should burn and rave at the close of day. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.” – Professor John Brand
18. “This world’s a treasure, but it’s been telling us to leave for a while now.” – Joseph Cooper
19. “Time is relative, okay? It can stretch, and it can squeeze, but it can’t run backward. Just can’t. The only thing that can move across dimensions, like time, is gravity.” – Dr. Amelia Brand
Powerful Interstellar Quotes to Make You Reflect on Humanity
20. “We have attachments. But even without a family, I can promise you that, that yearning to be with other people is powerful. That emotion is the foundation of what makes us human.” – Dr. Mann
21. “I’m not afraid of death. I’m an old physicist. I’m afraid of time.” – Professor John Brand
22. Doyle: “You can’t just think about your family now. You have to think bigger than that.”
Joseph Cooper: “I am thinking about my family and millions of other families.”
23. Case: “It’s not possible.”
Joseph Cooper: “No, it’s necessary.”
24. “I am sorry. I can’t watch you go through this. I am sorry. I thought I could, but I can’t. I am here. I am here for you. Just listen to my voice, Cooper. I am right here. You are not alone.” – Dr. Mann
25. “Six billion people; just imagine that, and every last one of them trying to have it all.” – Donald
26. Dr. Amelia Brand: “Not sure of what I’m more afraid of—them never coming back, or coming back to find we’ve failed.”
Murphy Cooper: “Then let’s succeed.”
27. Professor John Brand: “We need the bravest humans to find us a new home.”
Joseph Cooper: “But the nearest star is over a thousand years away.”
Doyle: “Hence the bravery.”
28. “You’re feeling it, aren’t you? The survival instinct. That’s what drove me. It’s what drives all of us. And it’s what’s gonna save us. ‘Cause I’m gonna save all of us. For you, Cooper.” – Dr. Mann
29. “Brand—she’s out there. Setting up camp. Alone, in a strange galaxy. Maybe right now, she’s settling in for the long nap. By the light of our new sun. In our new home.” – Murphy Cooper
More Interstellar Quotes That You Will Enjoy Reading
30. “Maybe we’ve spent too long trying to figure this out with theory.” – Dr. Amelia Brand
31. “Newton’s third law. You gotta leave something behind.” – Joseph Cooper
32. Dr. Amelia Brand: “I’m not going to make it.”
Joseph Cooper: “Yes, you are. Yes, you are.”
33. “I love you, forever. You hear me? I love you forever. And I’m coming back. I’m coming back.” – Joseph Cooper
34. “When you become a parent, one thing becomes really clear. And that’s that you want to make sure your children feel safe. And that rules out telling a 10-year-old that the world’s ending.” – Joseph Cooper
35. Joseph Cooper: “Hey TARS, what’s your honesty parameter?”
TARS: “Ninety percent.”
Joseph Cooper: “Ninety percent?”
TARS: “Absolute honesty isn’t always the most diplomatic nor the safest form of communication with emotional beings.”
Joseph Cooper: “Okay, 90% it is.”
What Can You Contribute to the Salvation of the Planet?
There are many end-of-the-world movies out there. However, what makes Interstellar different is that it profoundly discusses the root cause of the planet’s destruction. Instead of just focusing on the catastrophic events that might occur, it zooms in on what we must do to avoid it and what we can do if it happens.
As years pass by, Interstellar just gets more and more relevant. After all, our climate and environment crisis just keeps getting worse. Humans remain greedy, and we are destroying our planet even more as each second passes by.
On the flip side, the beautiful thing about humanity is that it never gives up on hope and love. We are anchored on our love for ourselves and our family, which makes us hope for a better future and a solution to all the destruction. We have a sharp survival instinct, and this will lead us to a better future.
We can no longer change the past but know that we have the power to make a difference in the future. Hope for a better tomorrow and act toward it. Don’t be idle and wait for others to work; if we all wait for each other to do something, nothing will ever happen.
Interstellar is packed with lots of quotable quotes we can all live by. So, whenever you need inspiration and encouragement, read back on this list!