Here are the top Mulan quotes that will bring out your inner warrior!
This classic Disney movie tells the tale of Mulan, a young girl who deceives her family and the Imperial Army of China because she wants to save her father. She disguised herself as the son of the Fa family so she could go to war instead of Fa Zhou.
Training is intense, and it’s no place for a girl. This is something everyone in their time believes. However, Mulan proves them all wrong as she becomes one of the strongest, wisest, and bravest of all of China’s soldiers.
So, in the end, her contributions to her country outweighed her sins of deceit. Mulan brought honor to her family and proved to everyone how strong women actually are.
To know more about her and her adventures, read on. We’ve compiled the best quotes from the 1998 movie.
Best Mulan Quotes
1. “Your belief in love wasn’t strong enough to overcome your fear of rejection.” – Mulan
2. “Loyal, brave, and true.” – Mulan
3. “A single grain of rice can tip the scale. One man may be the difference between victory and defeat.” – The Emperor of China
4. “There is no courage without fear.” – Fa Zhou
5. “Look at me; I will never pass for a perfect bride or a perfect daughter. Can it be, I’m not meant to play this part? Now I see, that if I were truly to be myself, I would break my family’s heart. Who is that girl I see, staring straight back at me? Why is my reflection someone I don’t know? Somehow, I cannot hide who I am, though I’ve tried. When will my reflection show who I am, inside?” – Mulan
6. “The truth is, we’re both frauds. Your ancestors never sent me, they don’t even like me. But you risked your life to help people you love. I risked your life to help myself. At least you had good intentions.” – Mushu
7. The Emperor of China: “The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all.”
Captain Li Shang: “Sir?”
The Emperor of China: “You don’t meet a girl like that every dynasty.”
8. Shan Yu: “I tire of your arrogance, old man. Bow to me!”
The Emperor of China: “No matter how the wind howls, the mountain cannot bow to it.”
Shan Yu: “Then you will kneel in pieces!”
9. “The greatest gift and honor is having you for a daughter.” – Fa Zhou
10. “Yeah, this ain’t gonna be pretty. But don’t you worry, okay? Things will work out. We started this thing together, and that’s how we’ll finish it. I promise.” – Mushu
Mulan Quotes That’ll Take You Back to China
11. “A life for a life. My debt is repaid.” – Captain Li Shang
12. “Who am I? Who am I? I am the guardian of lost souls, I am the powerful, the pleasurable, the indestructible Mushu.” – Mushu
13. “I have to do something.” – Mulan
14. “I’ve heard a great deal about you, Fa Mulan. You stole your father’s armor, ran away from home, impersonated a soldier, deceived your commanding officer, dishonored the Chinese Army, destroyed my palace, and you have saved us all.” – The Emperor of China
15. “My name is Mulan! I did it to save my father.” – Mulan
16. “Ancestors, hear my plea. Help me not to make a fool of me and to not uproot my family tree. Keep my father standing tall.” – Mulan
17. “Ancestors, hear our prayer. Watch over Mulan.” – Grandmother Fa
18. Mulan: “Would you like to stay for dinner?”
Grandmother Fa: “Would you like to stay forever?”
19. Mulan: “With all due respect, Your Excellency, I think I’ve been away from home long enough.”
The Emperor of China: “Then, take this. So your family will know what you have done for me. And this. So the world will know what you have done for China.”
Mulan Quotes to Prove That Women Are Strong
20. “You said you trust Ping. Why is Mulan any different?” – Mulan
21. “My, what beautiful blossoms we have this year. But look, this one’s late. But I’ll bet that when it blooms, it will be the most beautiful of all.” – Fa Zhou
22. Shan Yu: “You took away my victory.”
Mulan: “No! I did.”
23. Captain Li Shang: “Ping, you are the craziest man I’ve ever met, and for that, I owe you my life. From now on, you have my trust.”
Ling: “Let’s hear it for Ping, the bravest of us all!”
24. “Maybe I didn’t go for my father. Maybe what I really wanted was to prove I could do things right, so when I looked in the mirror, I’d see someone worthwhile. But I was wrong. I see nothing.” – Mulan
More Mulan Quotes for Those Who Want to Be More Like Her
25. “Reflect before you snack—act!” – Mulan
26. “This represents discipline, and this represents strength. You need both to reach the arrow.” – Captain Li Shang
27. “C’mon, if you’re gonna stay, you’re gonna work.” – Mushu
28. “Hey, come on. You went to save your father’s life. Who knew you’d end up shaming him and disgracing your ancestors and losing all your friends? You know, you just gotta—you gotta learn to let these things go.” – Mushu
29. “My little baby is all grown up and saving China.” – Mushu
30. “No time to talk. Now, remember, it’s your first day of trainin’, so listen to your teacher and no fightin’, play nice with the other kids, unless, of course, one of the other kids wanna fight, then you have to kick the other kid’s butt.” – Mushu
Would You Be Willing to Risk Your Life for the Sake of Your Family?
In the movie, aside from the dangers of war, Mulan also has to brave the punishment that might come because she went against the imperial edict. After all, as we all know, ancient China was very strict about order and law.
Nonetheless, she was ready to sacrifice everything for her family. Along the way, she met friends who would support her regardless of her true identity. She also proved that people could succeed if they are determined and willing to do everything for the sake of the people they love.
Mulan is a character we can all gain wisdom from. Her actions might not be something we should all follow, but we should take inspiration from her determination, good intentions, and ability to follow through with her plans.
Read the quotes above whenever you need reminders of how strong and brave women are. Also, keep this collection in your bookmarks so you can quickly look back on your favorite characters’ best lines!