Explore the world of the grouchiest and grumpiest of all the Sesame Street characters with these 50 Oscar the Grouch quotes.
Since his first appearance in 1969, Oscar has been nothing but a grouch. His negative, sarcastic, and cynical tendencies are so unlike the other characters we’ve come to love.
However, despite his grumpiness, Oscar the Grouch is a valued friend to the other Sesame Street characters.
This proves how important understanding and respect are to the show. Apart from that, through Oscar, children are taught that life isn’t always a happy place—and that that’s okay.
Friends who are there to love and accept you even with your differences and flaws make life worth living.
So, if you’re a fan of Sesame Street and Oscar the Grouch, and are curious to know more about the lessons in the show, don’t miss out on this list!
Check the full list here.
Best Oscar the Grouch Quotes
1. “You’d be a grouch, too, if you lived in a trash can!”
2. “I’m the king of my trash can! Hehehe.”
3. “Well, the rent is cheap and I love trash, so I figured I would be close to it if I lived in a trash can myself. What’s wrong with that?”
4. “Big deal. Hey, let’s get this over with. I never watch television anyway. It’s too trashy, even for me.”
5. “Knock three times on my trash can lid, and then I’ll know it’s you.”
6. “Just because you’re trash doesn’t mean you can’t do great things. It is called ‘garbage can,’ not ‘garbage cannot.’”
7. “This is the greatest day of my life. This calls for a celebration: an anchovy sundae ice cream!”
8. “Sorry, Slimey, time for sleep now. So close your eyes and dream of all the wonderful trash that’s yet to come.”
Famous Oscar the Grouch Quotes
9. “Ugh, I’m staying in my trash can today.”
10. “The music lesson is for my pet worm.”
11. “Don’t bang on my can! Go away.”
12. “Man oh man, what do ya know? There is intelligent life in outer space!”
13. “Well, of course, she hangs up. Aunt Crabella does not call or talk to me on the phone.”
14. “What’s going on here! Who said you could get in my trash can!”
15. “No, no, no. With the Grouch Anthem, you stay sitting down. Down in front there! Now brace yourself, I’m gonna sing!”
16. “To hear everybody grumble and complain when rain falls, it’s kind of nice.”
17. “Ugh. I hope no one wishes me a happy birthday tomorrow. A rotten birthday is more like it. He, he, he.”
18. “You see, grouch babies, love to calm down to the sound of a good loud argument.”
19. “Well, who cares if you play it. Personally, I like to see you drop it and break it. I love broken clarinets.”
20. “What do you mean you want to put the pieces together for? It looks better this way, like a busted clarinet, which is perfect!”
Oscar the Grouch Quotes to Highlight His Sarcastic Side
21. “Frowning makes me happy. Can’t you tell?”
22. “Don’t let the sunshine spoil your rain. Just stand up and complain.”
23. “Someone should tell this Monday to scram!”
24. “ Well, I love your work. I love how hate a movie.”
25. “Oh, yeah? And why do you want to do a silly thing like that?”
26. “Don’t blame me! You are the one who wanted to answer the phone.”
27. “Now I don’t care if you’re big or small. And I don’t care if you’re short or tall. ‘Cause every spring and summer, winter and fall. I don’t wanna see anybody at all!”
28. Leela: “Oh, Oscar, how could you eat at a time like this?”
Oscar the Grouch: “With a spoon?”
Oscar the Grouch Quotes That Prove Just How Much He Loves Trash
29. “You too. There’ll be more trash tomorrow.”
30. “I have here some newspaper 13 months old. I wrapped fish inside it; it’s smelly and cold. But I wouldn’t trade it for a big pot o’ gold! I love it because it’s trash.”
31. “Oh, I love trash! Anything dirty or dingy or dusty. Anything ragged or rotten or rusty. Yes, I love trash.”
32. “I have here a sneaker that’s tattered and worn. It’s all full of holes and the laces are torn. A gift from my mother the day I was born. I love it because it’s trash.”
33. “I’ve a clock that won’t work. And an old telephone. A broken umbrella, a rusty trombone. And I am delighted to call them my own! I love them because they’re trash.”
Great Oscar the Grouch Quotes
34. “If you like your oatmeal nice and cold and lumpy. Then you’re a grouch like me.”
35. “I don’t like people. The girls or the boys. Just give me some more of that beautiful noise.”
36. “And if you think a great big pile of trash is pretty. And that ice cream is yucky as can be. If you can’t stand a cuddly little kitty, then you’re a grouch like me.”
37. “Ding-dong! You’re wrong!”
38. “Can’t anybody tell me how to say ‘no’ in Spanish?”
39. “But if we don’t like a movie, we give a ‘Phooey’ like this: ‘Phooey! Phooey! Phooey!’”
Funny Oscar the Grouch Quotes to Make You Laugh
40. “When I am reading, who’s holding the book? Me!”
41. “When he heard himself shout. And the one baby grouch fell out.”
42. “No, wait! I like that! It sounded like a funny duck.”
43. “Who’s always handy whenever I need me? Firm as a feather in all kinds of weather, me, me, wonderful me!”
44. “Rainy days are my favorite. I like to watch everyone who forgot their umbrellas at home. Heh, heh, heh.”
45. Oscar the Grouch: “Say! Aren’t you Johnny Trash?”
Johnny Cash: “No, Cash.”
Oscar the Grouch: “Cash, Cash!”
Johnny Cash: “Yeah. Have a rotten day!”
Also read: Funny Quotes
More Oscar the Grouch Quotes for Your Next Tweet
46. “Decided to come on Twitter to remind all of you what a miserable day it is today. He hehe. Now scram!”
47. “Twitter, stop trying to make #October3rd happen. It’s not going to happen.”
48. “#MakeADayBetterIn5Words? Ya can’t. How about that?”
49. “Ugh, I don’t want any part of this. I’m passing this challenge along. @billyeichner, Slimey, and @Lesdoggg tell a joke for me.”
50. “Happy Birthday @MeCookieMonster. I can hear your cookie crumbs flying from inside my trash can. Ugh.”
What Do You Think of Oscar the Grouch’s Personality?
Oscar is the antithesis of everything on Sesame Street. Although his street is sunny and cheerful, Oscar is moody and angry. He lurks in his trash can, waiting for people to feel as miserable as he is.
Our favorite green grump appears to despise everyone on Sesame Street. But, as the show progressed, we saw that he also made some new friends. Indeed, even when you’re different, flawed, and sometimes hostile toward life, those who genuinely love and care for you will remain by your side.
The world is a cruel place to live in—it’s not always merry, and it’s not that accepting of something different. Even though that’s the case, remember that it’s okay to be unique and to dwell in your feelings once in a while. After all, we are all human; we’re not perfect, and we’re not numb to emotions.
On the flip side, keep in mind that friends will bring sunshine and cheer to your life. If you’re as true to them as they are to you, then life will be filled with happy and lovely memories. With that, we hope you were able to get a glimpse of Oscar the Grouch’s personality and his relationship with the rest of the Sesame Street characters through this list.
What’s your outlook on life? Did this collection change that in any way? Comment below.