Here are our favorite Pocahontas quotes that’ll steer you toward making your life worth living!
Pocahontas tells the story of how the daughter of a Native American tribe’s chief falls in love with an English man, John Smith. Just from that context, you can see how complicated their relationship is.
What’s more, Pocahontas’s father expects her to marry someone else—the village’s greatest warrior.
Aside from her father’s expectations, Pocahontas knows that John Smith is the captain of their enemy. Their love has a lot of hindrances, but Pocahontas proves that she is a strong woman who will follow her heart. She listens to her inner voice and follows the path she thinks will make her happy.
If you want to fill your day with enlightening life and love lessons, reading the best quotes from Pocahontas is a great choice! So, to satisfy your curiosity about this movie, then keep reading!
Continue to the list below.
And don’t forget to check out these Hercules quotes and Hotel Transylvania quotes.
Best Pocahontas Quotes
1. Pocahontas: “No! If you kill him, you’ll have to kill me too.”
Chief Powhatan: “Daughter, stand back.”
Pocahontas: “I won’t! I love him, father. Look around you. This is where the path of hatred has brought us. This is the path I choose, father. What will yours be?”
2. “My daughter speaks with wisdom beyond her years. We’ve all come here with anger in our hearts, but she comes with courage and understanding. From this day forward, if there is to be more killing, it will not start with me.” – Chief Powhatan
3. “What I love most about rivers is you can’t step in the same river twice. The water’s always changing, always flowing.” – Pocahontas
4. Grandmother Willow: “Now then, there’s something I want to show you. Look.”
Pocahontas: “The ripples.”
John Smith: “What about them?”
Grandmother Willow: “So small at first, then look how they grow. But someone has to start them.”
John Smith: “They’re not gonna listen to us.”
Grandmother Willow: “Young man, sometimes the right path is not the easiest one. Don’t you see? Only when the fighting stops, you can be together.”
5. John Smith: “Come with me?”
Chief Powhatan: “You must choose your own path.”
Pocahontas: “I’m needed here.”
6. Governor Ratcliffe: “Don’t lose your heart, men. It won’t be long before we reach the New World. And remember what awaits us there. Freedom. Prosperity. The adventure of our lives. You’re the finest crew England has to offer and nothing, not wind nor a thousand bloody savages shall stand in our way. Carry on, men!”
Wiggins: “A stirring oration, sir. I’m sure the men were most exhilarated.”
Governor Ratcliffe: “Let’s hope so.”
7. “When I see you wear that necklace, you look just like your mother. She is still with us. Whenever the wind moves through the trees, I feel her presence. Our people look to her for wisdom and strength. Someday, they will look to you as well.” – Chief Powhatan
8. John Smith: “We’ve improved the lives of savages all over the world.”
John Smith: “Uh, not that you’re a savage.”
Pocahontas: “Just my people!”
John Smith: “No. Listen. That’s not what I meant. Let me explain.”
Pocahontas: “Let go!”
John Smith: “No, I’m not letting you leave. Look, don’t do this. Savage is just a word, uh, you know. A term for people who are uncivilized.”
Pocahontas: “Like me.”
John Smith: “Well, when I say uncivilized, what I mean is—.”
Pocahontas: “What you mean is, not like you.”
9. John Smith: “Pocahontas.”
Pocahontas: “I’m so sorry.”
John Smith: “For what? This? I’ve gotten out of worse scrapes than this. Can’t think of anything right now, but—.”
Pocahontas: “It would’ve been better if we never met. None of this would’ve happened.”
John Smith: “Pocahontas, look at me. I’d rather die tomorrow than live a hundred years without knowing you.”
Pocahontas: “I can’t leave you.”
John Smith: “You never will. No matter what happens to me, I’ll always be with you, forever.”
10. Kekata: “Your return has brought much joy to the village. Look at all the smiling faces.”
Chief Powhatan: “Yes. But there is one smiling face I don’t see. Where is my daughter?”
Kekata: “You know Pocahontas. She has her mother’s spirit. She goes wherever the wind takes her.”
Pocahontas Quotes That’ll Pique Your Curiosity
11. “If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you’ll learn things you never knew you never knew.” – Pocahontas
12. “Father, for many nights now I’ve been having a very strange dream. I think it’s telling me something’s about to happen. Something exciting.” – Pocahontas
13. Governor Ratcliffe: “Wiggins, why do you think those insolent heathens attacked us?”
Wiggins: “Because we invaded their land and cut down their trees and dug up their earth?”
Governor Ratcliffe: “It’s the gold! They have it and they don’t want us to take it from them. Well, I’ll just have to take it by force then, won’t I?”
14. “These White men are dangerous! No one is to go near them.” – Chief Powhatan
15. Thomas: “What do you suppose the New World will look like?”
John Smith: “Like all the others, I suppose. I’ve seen hundreds of new worlds, Thomas. What could possibly be different about this one?”
16. John Smith: “You have the most unusual names here. Chechomony, Kuyukanhoic, Pocahontas.”
Pocahontas: “You have a most unusual name too. John Smith.”
Insightful Pocahontas Quotes to Keep In Mind
17. Grandmother Willow: “Now, child, you were saying.”
Pocahontas: “Well, I am running through the woods. And then, right there in front of me, is an arrow. As I look at it, it starts to spin.”
Grandmother Willow: “A spinning arrow. How unusual.”
Pocahontas: “Yes. It spins faster and faster and faster until suddenly it stops.”
Grandmother Willow: “Hmm. Well, it seems to me this spinning arrow is pointing you down your path.”
Pocahontas: “But, Grandmother Willow, what is my path? How am I ever going to find it?”
Grandmother Willow: “Your mother asked me the very same question.”
Pocahontas: “She did? What did you tell her?”
Grandmother Willow: “I told her to listen. All around you are spirits, child. They live in the earth, the water, the sky. If you listen, they will guide you.”
Pocahontas: “I hear the wind.”
Grandmother Willow: “Yes, what is it telling you?”
Pocahontas: “I don’t understand.”
18. John Smith: “Pocahontas, that tree is talking to me.”
Pocahontas: “Then you should talk back.”
Grandmother Willow: “Don’t be frightened, young man. My bark is worse than my bite.”
Pocahontas: “Say something.”
John Smith: “What do you say to a tree?”
Pocahontas: “Anything you want.”
19. “Learn to use that thing properly. A man’s not a man unless he knows how to shoot.” – Governor Ratcliffe
Short but Memorable Pocahontas Quotes for Disney Fans
20. “He wants me to be steady, like the river. But it’s not steady at all!” – Pocahontas
21. “Listen with your heart; you will understand.” – Pocahontas
22. “You know your path, child, now follow it.” – Grandmother Willow
Pocahontas Quotes for Everyone Who Loved the Movie
23. “You are the daughter of the chief. It is time to take your place among our people. Even the wild mountain stream must someday join the big river.” – Chief Powhatan
24. “Well, it’s not like I have much of a home to go back to. I’ve never really belonged anywhere.” – John Smith
25. Nakoma: “Don’t go out there. I lied for you once. Don’t ask me to do it again.”
Pocahontas: “I have to do this.”
Nakoma: “He’s one of them!”
Pocahontas: “You don’t know him.”
Nakoma: “If you go out there, you’ll be turning your back on your own people.”
Pocahontas: “I’m trying to help my people.”
Nakoma: “Pocahontas, please. You’re my best friend. I don’t want you to get hurt.”
Pocahontas: “I won’t. I know what I’m doing.”
Do You Believe Listening to Your Heart Will Make Your Life Worth Living?
Life will be much easier if we conform to what the world dictates. But, just because it’s the easiest option doesn’t always mean it’s the best one for you.
For example, how simple and comfortable would Pocahontas’s life be if she just followed what everyone expected of her? Though that’s the case, her love for John Smith was enough for her to gamble everything she had. Despite having the choice to live an easy life, she chose a more complicated path because she knew it was the only way toward true happiness.
So, if you’re like Pocahontas who’s pressured by others’ expectations, spare a moment to pause and listen to your heart. Remember, everything would fall into place if we follow our deepest desires. Following your heart may require you to go through challenges, but it will always fill your life with excitement and joy.
With that, we hope this collection of Pocahontas quotes was able to motivate you to take risks and follow your inner voice. It might not be the most comfortable road to walk on, but sticking with it will be worthwhile in the end!