If you didn’t have a good childhood, you probably had a narcissistic parent, so read these toxic mother quotes that’ll give you all the red flags to watch out for!
Even though it’s difficult to traverse the world alone, having toxic parents would be even more challenging. And, perhaps out of the two, having a toxic mother is even worse.
Mothers should fill us with love, protection, and guidance. However, if we have a toxic and narcissistic mom, it’s all about jealousy, shackles, and grief.
Sadly, it’s hard to recognize the red flags while we’re currently in that situation. So, to help you out, we’ve got the best toxic mother quotes to describe them.
We’re positive the quotes below will also help you steer clear from being a toxic mom in the future. Avoid being controlling and manipulative through the collection of toxic mother quotes we’ve rounded up!
And don’t forget to check out these toxic father quotes and toxic parents quotes.
Best Toxic Mother Quotes
1. “If all toxic moms understood the difference between healthy, motherly love and toxic, destructive love, they wouldn’t be toxic in the first place.” – Samuel Zulu
2. “All toxic mothers are more dangerous than absent fathers due to their contagious toxic energy which poisons your soul.” – Anonymous
3. “An unloving mother robs the child of a sense of belonging. The need to belong can become a lifelong quest for him or her.” – Peg Streep
4. “Healthy moms are a delight to their children, but toxic moms are a source of grief to their own children.” – Samuel Zulu
5. “A toxic mother talks but never listens, and she gives advice but never takes any.” – Sherrie Campbell
6. “Toxic mothers plant seeds of guilt, low self-esteem, and low self-worth into their daughters, which further manifests when those daughters get into their own relationships, making them extremely needy or even toxic just like their own moms.” – Anonymous
7. “For toxic mothers out there, just know that your toxic and abusive behavior will one day backfire when the children you are mistreating grow up and become adults.” – Samuel Zulu
8. “Toxic moms are self-absorbed parents, which is why they are controlling and possessive in the first place to their children.” – Samuel Zulu
Toxic Mom Quotes to Shake Your Heart
9. “Toxic mothers are some of the most insecure people in this world, which is why they demand constant attention for themselves to feel secure and find solace.” – Samuel Zulu
10. “Just because your mother gave birth to you doesn’t mean they are capable of caring for you. Just because a woman had a child doesn’t necessarily equate to being safe, respectful, or healthy. Not all mothers can love.” – Dana Arcuri
11. “Very often, toxic moms will abandon their own children and find meaningless excuses to justify their deeds as to why they are not able to be there for their children.” – Anonymous
12. “Sometimes, unconditional love from you, which you were never given by your abusive and toxic mom, is all that your toxic mom may need to help her realize where she came up short.” – Anonymous
13. “It is both tragic and freeing to accept that your mother is not capable of being the mother you always needed her to be.” – Stephi Wagner
14. “If you have to parent your mother and put up with her childish and selfish behaviors, it may be time to create more serious boundaries for your own self-protection.” – Barrie Davenport
Emotionally Abusive Mother Quotes
15. “‘It makes me feel good when people tell me how well you behave,’ she used to say. When she was upset with me, she used to threaten me with ‘You are going to make me sick, and I am going to die, and what are you going to do then?’” – Diana Macey
16. “If a toxic mom claims to love you, kindly remind her that there is a big difference between real love and abuse or control disguised as love and that real love doesn’t hurt nor is it abusive.” – Anonymous
17. “It’s not your fault that your mom is toxic, as it isn’t your job to raise your mom because she is already an adult responsible for her own life choices just as you are responsible for your own.” – Anonymous
18. “What all toxic and abusive moms don’t understand is that there is a big difference between love and possessiveness. If they did, they wouldn’t be controlling, manipulative, and abusive towards their children in any form.” – Anonymous
19. “Being surrounded by toxic mothers can be the loneliest moments in your life as a child due to a lack of connection and bonding between mother and child.” – Anonymous
Selfish Toxic Mother Quotes That’ll Open Your Eyes to Reality
20. “Sadly, most toxic mothers don’t even know that the unhealthy behavior they display to their children is toxic in the first place.” – Samuel Zulu
21. “Victimization is a common tactic toxic mothers use to victimize their children to make them submissive to their controlling tyrannical rule.” – Samuel Zulu
22. “Toxic mothers have this type of toxic, manipulative love which is controlling and possessive in nature and never allows you to be yourself or express your true individuality.” – Anonymous
23. “Toxic mothers are toxic because of deep underlying issues in their lives such as a rough childhood, physical and emotional abuse which occurred in their early childhood.” – Samuel Zulu
24. “If toxic mothers are not getting the attention they crave from their children, they experience their children as inconveniences who stand in their way of doing what they want to do for themselves.” – Sherrie Campbell
Toxic Narcissistic Mother Quotes for Everyone Suffering Abuse
25. “Boys and girls of narcissistic mothers both have to deal with a deficit of maternal nurturing that their upbringing lacked.” – Mark Bans Chick
26. “Most narcissistic mothers see motherhood as a burden and like to let it be known how much work it is.” – Michelle Piper
27. “Feel sorry for your narcissistic mother, by all means. But know that you have every right to feel sorry for her from a safe distance.” – Danu Morrigan
28. “There’s a definition of narcissism that when a parent is narcissistic, instead of the child seeing himself reflected in the mother’s face and the mother’s joy, the child of the narcissistic parent feels like, ‘What can I do to make her okay—to make her happy?’” – Susan Sullivan
29. “While a narcissistic mother will gossip endlessly about the most details about your life, she is very secretive about her own life. She will lie about you but will punish you for telling them what she has done.” – Gail Meyers
30. “Mothers are usually proud of their children and want them to shine. But a narcissistic mother may perceive her daughter as a threat. You may have noticed that whenever you draw attention away from your mother, you’ll suffer retaliation, put-downs, and punishments.” – Karyl McBride
More Toxic Mother Quotes to Help You Let Go of Them
31. “Cutting your toxic mother off is not bad; it’s called self-care.” – Anonymous
32. “You don’t have to feel guilty if you have to distance yourself for a while from your toxic mom if she becomes too toxic to be around her in peace without causing any drama.” – Anonymous
33. “Let’s get out of the habit of telling people, ‘That’s still your mom, your dad, or your sister.’ Toxic is toxic. You are allowed to walk away from people who constantly hurt you.” – Bynnada
34. “Toxic moms are immature emotionally, which is why they behave the way they do. So, don’t mind their toxic behavior and concentrate on living your best life and don’t let their drama affect the quality of your livelihood.” – Anonymous
35. “You don’t have to repeat the trauma of your childhood. Use the pain your mother inflicted on you to motivate you to find a better way to raise your own children.” – Barrie Davenport
Would You Consider Your Mom to Be Manipulative and Controlling?
It’s sad that some moms aren’t made for loving and caring for a child. This kind of mother gets so caught up in herself that she doesn’t realize she’s already harming her children, especially if they’re little girls.
After all, daughters usually take after their moms. Toxic mothers’ claws will clutch them until they become adults and eventually moms of their own kids.
It’ll be hard to break free from our mothers’ grasp. However, if they are already hurting us and damaging who we’ll become in the future, we should learn to let go of them and start moving on.
If we take after them, there’s no saying how far the domino will fall. We’ll hurt our own children, and maybe they’ll pass down the manipulation to their own kids, and so on.
Never think that cutting off and letting go of toxic mothers is selfish. On the flip side, it’s such a selfless act because you’re ensuring that your future children will never suffer the same abuse you did.
We hope the quotes above were able to help you identify all the red flags. If you see any signs taking root, cut them off immediately; remember that control and manipulation have no room in your life!
2 thoughts on “35 Toxic Mother Quotes to Break Away From Their Manipulation”
There were a few of them. #44,48,49,65&69. It is to far gone for me to even love her at a distance.
Hi, Susan. Thank you so much for your comment. Appreciate it.
Comments are closed.