These top Back to the Future quotes will rev up your love for all things sci-fi!
Back to the Future is a movie trilogy created by Bob Gale and Robert Zemeckis. If you’ve not heard about it or watched at least one of its movies, then there’s no doubt in our minds that you’ve been living under a rock! After all, this movie trilogy shaped the points of view of a whole generation!
Yes, it anchors itself on time travel, science, and adventure. However, more than that, Back to the Future, in all its installments, teaches us that our future—or fate—can always change. The future is highly volatile, and how it turns out depends on our actions today.
In Back to the Future, nothing is impossible! Read on to learn more about our favorite sci-fi movie trilogy.
Best Back to the Future Quotes
1. “If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.” – Marty McFly
2. Marty McFly: “Hey, Doc, we better back up. We don’t have enough road to get up to 88.”
Dr. Emmett Brown: “Roads? Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.”
3. “If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you’re gonna see some serious shit.” – Dr. Emmett Brown
4. “Last night, Darth Vader came down from Planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn’t take Lorraine out, that he’d melt my brain.” – George McFly
5. “Since you’re new here, I’m gonna cut you a break today. So, why don’t you make, like, a tree and get out of here?” – Biff Tannen
6. “I guess you guys aren’t ready for that yet. But your kids are gonna love it.” – Marty McFly
7. “I’m sure that in 1985, plutonium is available at every corner drugstore, but in 1955 it’s a little hard to come by.” – Dr. Emmett Brown
8. Marty McFly: “Wait a minute. Wait a minute, Doc, uh, are you telling me you built a time machine—out of a DeLorean?”
Dr. Emmett Brown: “The way I see it, if you’re going to build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?”
9. Dr. Emmett Brown: “It works! It works! I finally invent something that works!”
Marty McFly: “You bet your ass it works.”
Back to the Future Quotes for Sci-Fi Fans
10. Marty McFly: “Whoa. Wait a minute, Doc. Are you trying to tell me that my mother has got the hots for me?”
Dr. Emmett Brown: “Precisely.”
Marty McFly: “Whoa. This is heavy.”
Dr. Emmett Brown: “There’s that word again. ‘Heavy.’ Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the Earth’s gravitational pull?”
11. “Next Saturday night, we’re sending you back to the future!” – Dr. Emmett Brown
12. Dr. Emmett Brown: “1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!”
Marty McFly: “What—what the hell is a gigawatt?”
13. “Don’t worry. As long as you hit that wire with the connecting hook at precisely 88 miles per hour, the instant the lightning strikes the tower, everything will be fine.” – Dr. Emmett Brown
14. Dr. Emmett Brown: “Tell me, Future Boy, who’s President of the United States in 1985?”
Marty McFly: “Ronald Reagan.”
Dr. Emmett Brown: “Ronald Reagan! The actor? Then who’s vice-president, Jerry Lewis? I suppose Jane Wyman is the First Lady!”
15. Dr. Emmett Brown: “I need a nuclear reaction to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity I need.”
Marty McFly: “Doc, you don’t just walk into a store and—and buy plutonium! Did you rip that off?”
Dr. Emmett Brown: “Of course—from a group of Libyan nationalists. They wanted me to build them a bomb, so I took their plutonium and, in turn, gave them a shoddy bomb casing full of used pinball machine parts. Come on! Let’s get you a radiation suit. We must prepare to reload.”
Back to the Future Quotes to Fill You With Nostalgia
16. George McFly: “Lorraine. My density has brought me to you.”
Lorraine Baines-McFly: “What?”
George McFly: “Oh. What I meant to say was—.”
Lorraine Baines-McFly: “Wait a minute. Don’t I know you from somewhere?”
George McFly: “Yes. Yes. I’m George. George McFly. I’m your density. I mean, your destiny.”
17. “Jesus, George, it was a wonder I was even born.” – Marty McFly
18. Marty McFly: “Lorraine! Lorraine, what are you doing?”
Lorraine Baines-McFly: “I swiped it from the old lady’s liquor cabinet.”
Marty McFly: “Yeah, well, you shouldn’t drink.”
Lorraine Baines-McFly: “Why not?”
Marty McFly: “Because you—you might regret it later in life.”
Lorraine Baines-McFly: “Marty, don’t be such a square. Everybody who’s anybody drinks.”
Marty McFly: “Jeez! You smoke, too?”
Lorraine Baines-McFly: “Marty, you’re beginning to sound just like my mother.”
19. “Doc, I’m from the future. I came here in a time machine that you invented. Now I need your help to get back to the year 1985.” – Marty McFly
20. Lorraine Baines-McFly: “This is all wrong. I don’t know what it is. But when I kiss you, it’s like I’m kissing my brother. I guess that doesn’t make any sense, does it?”
Marty McFly: “Believe me, it makes perfect sense.”
21. Marty McFly: “Calvin? Why do you keep calling me Calvin?”
Lorraine Baines-McFly: “Well, that is your name, isn’t it? Calvin Klein? It’s written all over your underwear.”
More Back to the Future Quotes for Fans of the Trilogy
22. “Marty, the future isn’t written. It can be changed. You know that. Anyone can make their future whatever they want it to be.” – Dr. Emmett Brown
23. Jennifer Parker: “Dr. Brown, I brought this note back from the future and—now it’s erased.”
Dr. Emmett Brown: “Of course, it’s erased!”
Jennifer Parker: “But what does that mean?”
Dr. Emmett Brown: “It means your future hasn’t been written yet. No one has. Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one, both of you.”
Marty McFly: “We will, Doc.”
24. “Traveling through time has become much too painful.” – Dr. Emmett Brown
25. “Time traveling is just too dangerous. Better that I devote myself to study the other great mystery of the universe: women!” – Dr. Emmett Brown
26. “Marty, you can’t go losing your judgment every time someone calls you a name. That’s exactly what causes you to get into that accident in the future.” – Dr. Emmett Brown
27. Marty McFly: “Oh, this is heavy, Doc. I mean, it’s like I was just here yesterday.”
Dr. Emmett Brown: “You were here yesterday, Marty.”
28. “Since when can weathermen predict the weather, let alone the future?” – Marty McFly
29. “Well, there are plenty worse places to be than the Old West. I could’ve ended up in the Dark Ages. They probably would have burned me at the stake as a heretic or something.” – Dr. Emmett Brown
30. Dr. Emmett Brown: “No! It can’t be; I just sent you back to the future!”
Marty McFly: “No, I know; you did send me back to the future. But I’m back—I’m back from the future.”
Dr. Emmett Brown: “Great Scott!”
Which Movie in the Franchise Is Your Favorite?
Like every movie franchise, usually, the first movie gets the audience hooked, and nothing could ever compare. But, for many fans, Back to the Future is on a whole different scale. A lot of fans would argue that each movie is better than the last—or, at the very least, as good as the first movie.
However, what makes the first movie so special is the possibilities it gives its viewers. Through the first release, we saw that something so out-of-this-world, like a time machine, could exist! In this installment, we also recognize how uncertain our future is.
As humans, we’re made to believe in our destiny—and that we can’t do anything to change it. But, as we learned from Back to the Future, that’s not true. Each decision, act, movement, or thought sends ripples throughout our lives.
Whatever we do now directly affects our future, and we can know for a fact that it changes our life—for better or for worse. So, take what happened in the Back to the Future franchise as an example, and never do anything that will jeopardize your future.
With that, we hope this list of the best Back to the Future quotes was able to serve as a source of inspiration—and warning—to all. Never take your life for granted, and always do your best to ensure that the tomorrow that’ll come will be a great one!