Saddle up and get ready to laugh all day through these Blazing Saddles quotes we’ve rounded up.
Fans of Mel Brooks’s movies will know that Blazing Saddles is one of his most classic works. Producers cast Gene Wilder and Cleavon Little, making it an even more memorable piece.
On the surface, Blazing Saddles is a great comedy to watch whenever you feel bored. Apart from that, it also incorporates some Western elements that fans would love.
However, digging deeper into Mel Brooks’s masterpiece, we understand that Blazing Saddles is much more than it seems. It instead satirizes the racism and political disputes present in typical Hollywood and Western movies.
This is specifically seen when Sheriff Bart, a Black man, is tasked to defend an all-White town against politicians targeting their land to construct a railroad. In many instances in the movie, Bart comes face to face with Hedley Lamarr, the corrupt official who was in charge of the railroad project; ironically, he was the one who gave Bart the position.
Though hilarious, Blazing Saddles will teach you a lot about justice, racism, and more. So, read through this collection of the best quotes from the movie!
Best Blazing Saddles Quotes
1. “What did you expect? ‘Welcome, Sonny?’ ‘Make yourself at home?’ ‘Marry my daughter?’ You’ve got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know—morons.” – Jim
2. Lili Von Shtupp: “Tell me, schatze, is it twue what they say about the way you people are gifted? Oh, it’s twue. It’s twue. It’s twue. It’s twue!”
Sheriff Bart: “I hate to disappoint you, ma’am, but you’re suckin’ on my arm!”
3. “Mongo only pawn in game of life.” – Mongo
4. Hedley Lamarr: “My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.”
Taggart: “God darn it, Mr. Lamarr, you use your tongue prettier than a 20-dollar whore.”
Hedley Lamarr: “Shit-kicker.”
5. “Come on, boys! The way you’re lollygaggin’ around here with them picks and them shovels, you’d think it was 120 degrees! Can’t be more than 114!” – Lyle
6. “No. Don’t do that, don’t do that. If you shoot him, you’ll just make him mad.” – Jim
7. “Gentlemen, affairs of state must take precedent over affairs of state.” – Sheriff Bart
8. Sheriff Bart: “The drunk in number two must be awake. Are we awake?”
Jim: “We’re not sure. Are we Black?”
Sheriff Bart: “Yes, we are.”
Jim: “Then we’re awake, but we’re very puzzled.”
9. Governor Lepetomane: “Thank you, Hedy. Thank you.”
Hedley Lamarr: “It’s not ‘Hedy,’ it’s ‘Hedley.’ Hedley Lamarr.”
Governor Lepetomane: “What the hell are you worried about? This is 1874. You’ll be able to sue her.”
Famous Blazing Saddles Quotes
10. “Where the White women at?” – Sheriff Bart
11. Sheriff Bart: “I get no kick from champagne. Mere alcohol doesn’t thrill me at all, so why, then, should it be true? That I get a belt outta you. Some get a kick from coca-yeai-yeaiineee—.”
Lyle: “Hold it! Hold it! What the hell is that shit? I meant a song! A real song! Something like, ‘Swing low, sweet chariot,’ don’t know that one, huh? Well, how about ‘De Camptown Ladies?’”
Sheriff Bart: “De Camptown Ladies?”
Rail Workers: “De Camptown Ladies?”
Lyle: “Oh, you know! ‘De Camptown ladies sing this song, doo-dah, doo-dah! Camptown Race Track five miles long, oh-de-do-da-dahy!’”
Taggart: “What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is a-goin’ on here? I hired you people to get some track laid, not to jump around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots!”
12. Taggart: “What do you want me to do, sir?”
Hedley Lamarr: “I want you to round up every vicious criminal and gunslinger in the West. Take this down. I want rustlers, cutthroats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers, and Methodists!”
13. Jim: “Where you headed, cowboy?”
Sheriff Bart: “Nowhere special.”
Jim: “Nowhere special—I always wanted to go there.”
Sheriff Bart: “Come on, then.”
14. Gabby Johnson: “Hey! The sheriff’s a nig—.”
Harriet Johnson: “What did he say?”
Dr. Sam Johnson: “He said the sheriff’s near.”
Gabby Johnson: “No, gone blame it, dang blammit! The sheriff is a nig—.”
Blazing Saddles Lines That You’ll Never Forget
15. Sheriff Bart: “A man drink like that, and he don’t eat, he is going to die.”
16. “A sheriff! But law and order is the last thing I want! Wait a minute. Maybe I can use this to my advantage. If I could find a sheriff who so offends the people of Rock Ridge that his very appearance would drive them out of town! Wherever will I find such a man? Why am I asking you?” – Hedley Lamarr
17. “It got so that every pissant prairie punk who thought he could shoot a gun would ride into town to try out the Waco Kid. I must’ve killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille. Got pretty gritty. Started hearing the word ‘draw’ in my sleep. Then one day, I was walking down the street when I heard someone shout, ‘Reach for it, mister!’ I turned around to see who it was, and there I was, standing face-to-face with a six-year-old kid. I just put my guns down and walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass!” – Jim
18. “Mongo was easy. The bitch was inventing the candy gram. Probably won’t even give me credit for it.” – Sheriff Bart
19. Taggart: “I got it, I got it!”
Hedley Lamarr: “You do? What?”
Taggart: “We’ll work up a ‘Number 6’ on ’em!”
Hedley Lamarr: “‘Number 6?’ I’m afraid I’m not familiar with that one.”
Taggart: “Well, that’s where we go a-ridin’ into town, a-whoppin’ and a-whumpin’ every livin’ thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except for the womenfolks, of course.”
Hedley Lamarr: “You spare the women?”
Taggart: “Naw, we rape the shit out of them at the Number 6 dance later on!”
Hedley Lamarr: “Marvelous!”
Blazing Saddles Quotes and Jokes to Add Laughter to Your Day
20. “Alright, we’ll give some land to the niggers and the chinks. But we don’t want the Irish!” – Olson Johnson
21. Sheriff Bart: “What’s your name?”
Jim: “Well, my name is Jim, but most people call me—Jim.”
22. “Tell me, ‘Tex ma’am,’ are you in show business? Well, then, why don’t you get your fwiggin’ feet off the stage!” – Lili Von Shtupp
23. “Horses? We can’t afford t’lose no horses, you dummy! Send over a couple’a niggas.” – Taggart
24. Sheriff Bart: “I’m rapidly becoming a big underground success in this town.”
Jim: “See? In another 25 years, you’ll be able to shake their hands in broad daylight.”
25. “Let’s face it. Everything below the waist is kaput!” – Lili Von Shtupp
More Blazing Saddles Quotes for Fans of This Western Black Comedy
26. “Men, you are about to embark on a great crusade to stamp out runaway decency in the West. Now you men will only be risking your lives, whilst I will be risking an almost certain Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor.” – Hedley Lamarr
27. Lyle: “How ’bout some more beans, Mr. Taggart?”
Taggart: “I’d say you’ve had enough!”
28. “Work here is done. I’m needed elsewhere now. I’m needed wherever outlaws rule the West, wherever innocent women and children are afraid to walk the streets, wherever a man cannot live in simple dignity, wherever a people cry out for justice.” – Sheriff Bart
29. “Hello, handsome, is that a 10-gallon hat, or are you just enjoying the show?” – Lili Von Shtupp
30. Buddy Bizarre: “Cut! What in the hell do you think you’re doing here? This is a closed set.”
Taggart: “Piss on you! I’m workin’ for Mel Brooks!”
Buddy Bizarre: “Not in the face!”
What Did You Learn From This List of Blazing Saddles Quotes?
Blazing Saddles is one of Mel Brooks’s funniest masterpieces. Any scene you watch or any line you read will no doubt have you clutching your belly with laughter.
However, the movie is genius because it tackles social issues like racism head-on while making you laugh. Tackling profound topics in a humorous light is Blazing Saddles’ strategy to appeal to a broader market.
Gene Wilder played Jim in the movie, and in one of his interviews, he says, “They’ve smashed racism in the face, but they’re doing it while you laugh.” This perfectly encapsulates what Blazing Saddles is all about!
At the time, the movie’s creators might not have expected their movie’s impact on the world. However, we see how influential Blazing Saddles is today in Hollywood and society.
With that, we hope you were able to get a kick out of reading the best Blazing Saddles quotes listed above. Keep in mind that this parody is more than just about the comedy!