We’ve compiled a list of our favorite Coco quotes that will teach you about forgiveness, happiness, and family.
Coco is a 2017 American fantasy film released by Walt Disney Pictures and produced by Pixar Animation Studios. Like most movies from these companies, though they’re full of laughter and color. But more than that, they also contain many profound life lessons we can all learn from.
You may think that Coco is just about people who love singing. But, the movie also makes one reflect on the things that truly matter in life. It discussed how essential love and forgiveness are in a family and how music brings us together as a people.
So, if you’re interested in the plot and lessons of this fantastic animated movie, these quotes are for you. Read the quotes below and find out how family and music are intertwined!
Best Coco Quotes
1. “I’m done asking for permission. When you see your moment, you mustn’t let it pass you by. You must seize it.” – Ernesto de la Cruz
2. “He’s been forgotten. When there’s no one left in the living world who remembers you, you disappear from this world. We call it the final death.” – Hector
3. “One cannot deny who one is meant to be.” – Ernesto de la Cruz
4. “Miguel, I give you my blessing, to go home and never forget how much your family cares for you.” – Mama Imelda
5. “I had to have faith in my dream. No one was going to hand it to me. It was up to me to reach for that dream. Grab it tight and make it come true.” – Ernesto de la Cruz
6. “Success doesn’t come for free. You have to do whatever it takes to seize your moment.” – Ernesto De La Cruz
Coco Quotes That Talk About Family
7. “We may have our differences, but nothing’s more important than family.” – Miguel
8. “I am not like the rest of my family. There’s something that makes me different.” – Miguel
9. “Being a part of this family means you are here for this family.” – Abuelita
10. “Hector should be on our ofrenda. He’s part of our family.” – Miguel
11. “That is what families are supposed to do, support you. But you never will.” – Miguel
Coco Quotes for People Who Love Music
12. “Only a song has the power to change a heart. Never underestimate the power of music.” – Ernesto de la Cruz
13. “I have to sing, I have to play. The music, it’s not just in me, it is me. When life gets me down, I play my guitar. The rest of the world may follow the rules, but I must follow my heart. You know that feeling, like there’s a song in the air and it’s playing just for you. I hope you like it.” – Ernesto de la Cruz
14. “I know, I’m not supposed to love music. But my great-grandma Coco’s father was the greatest musician of all time, Ernesto de la Cruz. One day, he left with his guitar and never returned. Now my family thinks music is a curse.” – Miguel
15. “Music tore her family apart. Shoes brought them together.” – Miguel
16. “Music’s the only way that makes me happy.” – Miguel
Also read: Up Quotes
Hilarious Coco Quotes to Brighten Your Day
17. “You’re not a spirit guide. You’re just a dumb dog.” – Miguel
18. “It has been an honor. I hope you die real soon.” – Hector
19. “I think it is one of those made up things adults tell kids, like vitamins.” – Miguel
20. Clerk: “I am terribly allergic.”
Miguel: “But Dante doesn’t have any hair.”
Clerk: “And I don’t have a nose, and yet, here we are.”
Coco Quotes to Better Understand the Movie’s Plot
21. “And so what if it’s true? You leave me alone with a child to raise, and I’m just supposed to forgive you?” – Miguel
22. “No, it doesn’t work like that, chamaco. Our memories, they have to be passed down by those who knew us in life in the stories they tell about us. But there’s no one left alive to pass down Cheech’s stories. Hey, it happens to everyone eventually.” – Hector
23. “You think I’d let him go back to the land of the living with your photo? To keep your memory alive? No.” – Ernesto de la Cruz
24. “But when we had Coco, there was something that mattered more than music. I wanted to put down roots. He wanted to play for the world. We each made a sacrifice to get what we wanted. Now, you must make a choice.” – Mama Imelda
25. “I don’t want to be part of this family anymore!” – Miguel
26. “The feeling, so close, you can reach out and touch it. I never knew I could want something so much, but it’s true.” – Ernesto de la Cruz
27. “Oh, it’s you. You’re going to get me into trouble, Dante. Someone could hear me! I wish someone wanted to hear me, other than you.” – Miguel
28. “I loved it! I remember that my husband would play, and I loved to sing, and nothing else mattered.” – Mama Imelda
29. “I’ve worked too hard, Hector. Too hard to let him destroy everything.” – Ernesto de la Cruz
30. “You don’t have to forgive him. But you shouldn’t forget him.” – Miguel
More Coco Quotes That You Will Enjoy
31. “You, my boy, are meant to be a musician.” – Ernesto de la Cruz
32. “I want nothing to do with you! Not in life, not in death! I spent decades protecting my family from your mistakes. He spends five minutes with you, and I have to fish him out of a sinkhole!” – Mama Imelda
33. “It’s okay. You can weep with your family.” – Abuelita
34. “Welcome to the Land of the Dead. Agents at the Department of Family Reunions are available to assist you. Please, on the lookout for a living boy.” – Arrival Agent
35. “A minute ago I thought I was related to a murderer! You’re a total upgrade!” – Hector
36. Hector: “I am the love of your life?”
Mama Imelda: “I don’t know, I am still angry at you!”
37. “Sometimes I look at Ernesto de La Cruz and I feel like we are connected.” – Miguel
38. “You’ve got to get home before sunrise or you’ll be stuck here forever.” – Head Clerk
39. Hector: “What are you doing?”
Miguel: “I’m walking like a skeleton.”
40. “I’m ready to accept your blessing. And your conditions. But first, I need to find de la Cruz. To get Hector’s photo!” – Miguel
Did These Coco Quotes Teach You About How Vital Forgiveness and Love Are in a Family?
Coco tells the story of Miguel, a kid who aspires to be a musician like his idol, Ernesto de la Cruz. Unfortunately, at first, his family was unsupportive. His family prohibited music because his grandfather abandoned his family to pursue his musical dream.
Miguel was so desperate to prove his talent and along the way, he found himself in the Land of the Dead. There, he meets the charming trickster, Hector. They then embark on an extraordinary journey to discover the truth about Miguel’s family history.
This film is worth seeing because it explores the culture surrounding Dia de los Muertos and Mexican heritage. It also drew a lot of positive attention to the Latino community. Plus, if you enjoy music, well, this movie is filled with that from start to finish!
While the film is enjoyable, there are a few underlying messages that everyone should consider. Coco reminds us that it’s never too late to ask for forgiveness, and in turn, to give it. It is a reminder that family is the only thing that would stand behind us, no matter what.
We’d love to know which of these quotes resonated with you the most. Please, feel free to discuss with us in the comments section below.