Dive into these Eat Pray Love quotes if you are getting lost on your way toward life’s fulfillment.
Eat Pray Love is a biographical movie that zooms in on Elizabeth Gilbert and her journey to finding herself. Elizabeth already has everything that will satisfy every woman—a successful career, money, and a house. Yet, she still felt lost and unsatisfied due to her recent divorce and a failed rebound relationship.
To get over the pain, Elizabeth started a journey to feel what it really means to be alive. She gathered the courage to let go of everything comforting and familiar in her life to make a big difference. It was a risky decision, but that’s the time she started to feel peace and joy.
Eat Pray Love teaches us that we must not wait for happiness; we must actively seek it. So, if you want lessons about self-discovery, joy, and life, read throughout this collection!
Best Eat Pray Love Quotes
1. “It’s still two human beings trying to get along, so it’s going to be complicated. And love is always complicated. But humans must try to love each other, darling. We must get our hearts broken sometimes. This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
2. “Some days are meant to be counted, others are meant to be weighed.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
3. “Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
4. “To lose balance sometimes for love is part of living a balanced life.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
5. “I’m choosing happiness over suffering; I know I am. I’m making space for the unknown future to fill up my life with yet-to-come surprises.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
6. “You need to learn how to select your thoughts, just the same way you select your clothes every day. This is a power you can cultivate. If you want to control things in your life so bad, work on the mind. That’s the only thing you should be trying to control.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
7. “I have a history of making decisions very quickly about men. I have always fallen in love fast and without measuring risks. I have a tendency not only to see the best in everyone but to assume that everyone is emotionally capable of reaching his highest potential. I have fallen in love more times than I care to count with the highest potential of a man rather than with the man himself, and I have hung on to the relationship for a long time, waiting for the man to ascend to his own greatness. Many times in romance, I have been a victim of my own optimism.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
8. “To travel is worth any cost or sacrifice.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
9. “People think a soulmate is your perfect fit, and that’s what everyone wants. But a true soulmate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life. A true soulmate is probably the most important person you’ll ever meet because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soulmate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soulmates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you and then leave. A soulmate’s purpose is to shake you up, tear apart your ego a little bit, show you your obstacles and addictions, break your heart open so new light can get in, and make you so desperate and out of control that you have to transform your life, then introduce you to your spiritual master.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
10. “Smile with face, smile with mind, and good energy will come to you and clean away dirty energy.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
Eat Pray Love Quotes That Have a Special Place in the Hearts of Fans
11. “There’s a crack in everyone. That’s how the light of God gets in.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
12. “Om Namah Shivaya. Meaning, I honor the divinity that resides within me.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
13. “You are, after all, what you think. Your emotions are the slaves to your thoughts, and you are the slave to your emotions.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
14. “Maybe my life hasn’t been so chaotic. It’s just the world that is, and the only real trap is getting attached to any of it. Ruin is a gift. Ruin is the road to transformation.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
15. “In the end, I’ve come to believe in something I call ‘The Physics of the Quest.’ A force in nature governed by laws as real as the laws of gravity. The rule of Quest Physics goes something like this, If you’re brave enough to leave behind everything familiar and comforting, which can be anything from your house to bitter, old resentments, and set out on a truth-seeking journey, either externally or internally, and if you are truly willing to regard everything that happens to you on that journey as a clue and if you accept everyone you meet along the way as a teacher and if you are prepared, most of all, to face and forgive some very difficult realities about yourself, then the truth will not be withheld from you.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
16. “Hadn’t I wanted this? I had actively participated in every moment of the creation of this life. So why didn’t I see myself in any of it? The only thing more impossible than staying was leaving. I didn’t want to hurt anybody; I wanted to slip quietly out the back door and not stop running until I reached Greenland.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
17. Elizabeth Gilbert: “I did love you, Stephen.”
Steven: “I know. But I still love you.”
Elizabeth Gilbert: “So, love me.”
Steven: “But I miss you.”
Elizabeth Gilbert: “So, miss me. Send me love and light every time you think of me. Then drop it. It won’t last forever. Nothing does.”
Wise Eat Pray Love Quotes to Live By
18. “You’re wishing too much, baby. You gotta stop wearing your wishbone where your backbone ought to be.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
19. “When I get lonely these days, I think—so be lonely, Liz. Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it for once in your life. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person’s body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
20. “Do not apologize for crying. Without this emotion, we are only robots.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
21. “At some point, you gotta let go, and sit still, and allow contentment to come to you.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
Thought-Provoking Eat Pray Love Quotes to Think About
22. “Having a baby is like getting a tattoo on your face. You really need to be certain it’s what you want before you commit.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
23. “I’m here. I love you. I don’t care if you need to stay up crying all night long. I will stay with you. If you need the medication again, go ahead and take it—I will love you through that, as well. If you don’t need the medication, I will love you, too. There’s nothing you can ever do to lose my love. I will protect you until you die, and after your death, I will still protect you. I am stronger than depression, and I am braver than loneliness, and nothing will ever exhaust me.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
24. “The Bhagavad Gita, that ancient Indian Yogic text says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else’s life with perfection.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
25. “In desperate love, we always invent the characters of our partners, demanding they be what we need of them, and then feeling devastated when they refuse to perform the role we created in the first place.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
What Steps Do You Think You Need to Take To Find Long-Lasting Happiness in Your Life?
Sometimes, people think that being successful already means satisfaction and happiness in one’s life. However, Elizabeth is proof that you can have everything in the world and still feel lost.
Happiness is not a material thing that you can easily achieve or anticipate. It is something that you need to fight for, strive for, and manifest every day. Additionally, pleasure is a person’s state of mind, so to feel bliss, you must master and allow your brain to be happy.
In Elizabeth’s journey, we saw that taking risks to leave our comfort zone is an excellent start to begin our journey toward a joyful life. With firm effort and bravery, we will eventually find who we are and what will genuinely make us happy. When that happens, we must keep our effort to maintain it forever.
Hopefully, Elizabeth was able to demonstrate that happiness is an aftereffect of our effort. Never stop seeking joy to achieve a fulfilling life! Please, revisit this list of our favorite Eat Pray Love quotes whenever you need a reminder.