These The Fault in Our Stars Quotes will be a great help if you want to face life’s challenges with more wisdom.
Everyone has problems to deal with; it’s not just you. In The Fault in Our Stars, we have Hazel fighting the biggest battle of her life. She has thyroid cancer, and it has already spread to her lungs.
Hazel attends a weekly patient support group where she meets Augustus. Augustus had bone cancer but is already in remission. Later on, the two of them develop a strong bond with each other.
They are just two teenagers, but they are already dealing with heavy struggles in life. However, instead of being miserable because of their illness, they start to create memories that’ll last forever. Through Hazel and Augustus, we see the possibility of attaining joy despite any situation.
The Fault in Our Stars may be one of the saddest movies created, but its meaningful lessons are undeniable. Continue reading to learn more about how strong and wise these teenagers are!
And don’t forget to check out these Eat Pray Love quotes and The Bucket List quotes.
Best The Fault in Our Stars Quotes
1. Augustus Waters: “Hazel Grace, I hope you realize, you trying to keep your distance from me in no way lessens my affection for you. All your efforts to keep me from you are going to fail.”
Hazel Grace Lancaster: “Look, I like you, and I like hanging out with you, but I can’t let this go any further.”
Augustus Waters: “Why not?”
Hazel Grace Lancaster: “Because I don’t want to hurt you.”
Augustus Waters: “I wouldn’t mind.”
Hazel Grace Lancaster: “No, you don’t understand.”
Augustus Waters: “I do understand.”
Hazel Grace Lancaster: “No, you don’t understand.”
Augustus Waters: “Look, I know what you’re going to say, and Hazel, I’m saying, I wouldn’t mind. It’d be a privilege having my heart broken by you.”
Hazel Grace Lancaster: “Gus, I’m a grenade. One day I’m going to explode, and I’m going to obliterate everything in my wake, and I don’t know, I feel like it’s just my responsibility to minimize the casualties.”
2. “I’m a good person, but a shitty writer. You’re a shitty person but a good writer. I think we’d make a good team. I don’t wanna ask you for any favors, but if you have the time—and from what I saw, you had plenty, please fix this for me. It’s a eulogy for Hazel. She asked me to write one, and I’m trying, but I just—I could use a little flair. See, the thing is, we all wanna be remembered. But Hazel’s different. Hazel knows the truth. She didn’t want a million admirers; she just wanted one. And she got it. Maybe she wasn’t loved widely, but she was loved deeply. And isn’t that more than most of us get? When Hazel was sick, I knew I was dying, but I didn’t wanna say so. She was in the ICU when I snuck in for ten minutes, and I just sat with her before I got caught. Her eyes were closed, her skin pale, but her hands were still her hands, still warm, and her nails were painted this dark blue-black color, and I just held them. And I willed myself to imagine a world without us and what a worthless world that would be. She’s so beautiful. You don’t get tired of looking at her. You never worry if she’s smarter than you because you know she is. She’s funny without ever being mean. I love her. God, I love her. I’m so lucky to love her, Van Houten. You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world, but you do have a say in who hurts you. And I like my choices. I hope she likes hers.” – Augustus Waters
3. Augustus Waters: “So, what’s your story?”
Hazel Grace Lancaster: “I was diagnosed when I was 13.”
Augustus Waters: “No, no, no, no. Your real story, your hobbies, your passions, your weird fetishes.”
Hazel Grace Lancaster: “I am quite unextraordinary.”
Augustus Waters: “I reject that.”
4. “I’m in love with you, Hazel Grace, and I’m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I’m in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, that we’re all doomed, and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have, and I am in love with you.” – Augustus Waters
5. “I believe we have a choice in this world about how to tell sad stories. On the one hand, you can sugarcoat it. Nothing is too messed up that it can’t be fixed by a Pater Gabriel song. I like that version as much as the next girl does. It’s just not the truth. This is the truth, doctor’s appointments, reality shows, and, worst of all, support groups.” – Hazel Grace Lancaster
6. “Hello. My name is Hazel Grace Lancaster. And Augustus Waters was the star-crossed love of my life. Ours is an epic love story, and I probably won’t be able to get more than a sentence out without disappearing into a puddle of tears. Like all real love stories, ours will die with us, as it should. You know, I’d kind of hoped that he’d be the one eulogizing me because there is really no one else. Yeah, no, um, I’m not gonna talk about our love story because I can’t. So instead, I’m gonna talk about math. I’m not a mathematician, but I do know this. There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There’s point 1, point 1, 2, point 1, 1, 2, and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger set of infinite numbers between 0 and 2 or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are simply bigger than other infinities. A writer that we used to like taught us that. You know, I want more numbers than I’m likely to get, and God, do I want more days for Augustus Waters than what he got. But Gus, my love, I can not tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. You gave me a forever, within the numbered days. And for that, I am eternally grateful. I love you so much.” – Hazel Grace Lancaster
7. Augustus Waters: “Hey, let’s go watch a movie.”
Hazel Grace Lancaster: “Okay, um, I’m free later this week.”
Augustus Waters: “No, I mean, right now.”
Hazel Grace Lancaster: “You could be an ax murderer.”
Augustus Waters: “There’s always that possibility. Come on, Hazel Grace, take a risk.”
Hazel Grace Lancaster: “Really? That’s disgusting!”
Augustus Waters: “What?”
Hazel Grace Lancaster: “What? Do you think that is cool? Or something? You just ruined the whole thing.”
Augustus Waters: “The whole thing?”
Hazel Grace Lancaster: “Yes, this whole thing. Even though you have freaking cancer, you are willing to give money to corporations for a chance to acquire even more cancer? Let me just assure you that not being able to breathe? Sucks. Totally disappointing. Totally.”
Augustus Waters: “They don’t kill you unless you light them. And I’ve never lit one. It’s a metaphor, see. You put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don’t give it the power to do its killing. A metaphor.”
8. Augustus Waters: “What’s your name?”
Hazel Grace Lancaster: “Hazel.”
Augustus Waters: “No, your full name.”
Hazel Grace Lancaster: “Hazel Grace Lancaster. Why are you staring at me?”
Augustus Waters: “Because you’re beautiful.”
9. “You think that the only way to lead a meaningful life is for everyone to remember you. For everyone to love you! Guess what, Gus, this is your life! This is all you get! You get me, and you get your family, and you get this world, and that’s it! And if that’s not enough for you, then I’m sorry, but it’s not ‘nothing.’” – Hazel Grace Lancaster
The Fault in Our Stars Quotes for Those Who Want a Good Cry
10. “Maybe ‘okay’ will be our ‘always.’” – Augustus Waters
11. “Funerals, I’ve decided, are not for the dead. They are for the living.” – Hazel Grace Lancaster
12. “Depression is not a side effect of cancer. It’s the side effect of dying which is what is happening to me.” – Hazel Grace Lancaster
13. “I’m on a roller coaster that only goes up. And it is my privilege and my responsibility to ride all the way up with you.” – Augustus Waters
14. “As he read, I fell in love with the way you fall asleep. Slowly, and then all at once.” – Hazel Grace Lancaster
15. “That’s the thing about pain. It demands to be felt.” – Augustus Waters
16. “It was unbearable. The whole thing. Every second was worse than the last.” – Hazel Grace Lancaster
The Fault in Our Stars Quotes That You Should Cherish
17. Isaac: “You know, Gus talks about you all the time.”
Hazel Grace Lancaster: “We’re just friends.”
18. Augustus Waters: “My name is Augustus Waters. I’ve been in remission for about a year and a half.”
Patrick: “Maybe you’d like to share some of your fears with the group.”
Augustus Waters: “Fears? Oblivion.”
19. “Sometimes people don’t understand the promises they’re making when they make them, right, of course. But you keep the promise anyway. That’s what love is. Love is keeping the promise anyway. Don’t you believe in true love?” – Hazel Grace Lancaster
20. “The real heroes anyway aren’t the people doing things. The real heroes are the people noticing things, paying attention.” – Augustus Waters
More The Fault in Our Stars Quotes to Feel the Characters’ Emotions
21. “I’d always thought the world was a wish-granting factory.” – Augustus Waters
22. “Much of my life had been devoted to trying not to cry in front of people who loved me, so I knew what Augustus was doing. You clench your teeth. You look up. You tell yourself that if they see you cry, it will hurt them, and you will be nothing but sadness in their lives, and you must not become a mere sadness, so you will not cry, and you say all of this to yourself while looking up at the ceiling, and then you swallow even though your throat does not want to close and you look at the person who loves you and smile.” – Hazel Grace Lancaster
23. “And then there are books like ‘An Imperial Affliction,’ which you can’t tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.” – Hazel Grace Lancaster
24. “I believe the universe wants to be noticed. I think the universe is improbably biased toward consciousness, that it rewards intelligence in part because the universe enjoys its elegance being observed. And who am I, living in the middle of history, to tell the universe that it—or my observation of it—is temporary?” – Mr. Lancaster
25. “I enjoy looking at beautiful people, and I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence.” – Augustus Waters
Are You Willing to Choose Happiness Every Second of Your Life?
Everyone will experience struggle and heartache; it is inevitable. So, why would you let a normal thing affect your extraordinary life? Instead of dwelling on it and remaining miserable, use your pain as a weapon to move forward.
The Fault in Our Stars proves that our life is an outcome of our choices. Thus, if you are sad right now, you are not giving yourself a chance to be happy. There are infinite reasons to be joyful, even in the worst situations; you just need to choose and appreciate it.
That’s the great thing about being a human—we always have a choice. It will just depend on us if we are brave enough to choose what will make our life worth living.
So like Hazel and Augustus, cancer or any struggles should not stop you from living your life to the fullest. You will never know every twist of your life. So, go and build happiness that will last forever.
Remember, the number of days we have here in the world won’t matter. What counts is the way you use and live every second of your life. Living happily is indeed an option you must choose every day.