Here are the best goodbye quotes that will hit your heart with words of love, parting, and new beginnings.
Goodbyes—may they be for romantic partners, friends, co-workers, or family—can be brutal. After all, how could you get used to losing or being separated from those dear to you?
As we all know, saying goodbye is an inevitable part of life—one that teaches us to be stronger and more independent. It can be challenging to accept separation.
However, remember that farewells are also new beginnings for you and the other person involved.
We’ve gathered some of the best goodbye quotes to help you see its positive side. Learn from these quotes and move forward in life with a brand-new perspective.
Continue to the complete list below.
Best Goodbye Quotes
1. “Goodbyes make you think. They make you realize what you’ve had, what you’ve lost, and what you’ve taken for granted.” – Ritu Ghatourey
2. “Goodbyes are not forever, are not the end; it simply means I’ll miss you until we meet again.” – Anonymous
3. “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” – A.A. Milne
4. “If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello.” – Paulo Coehlo
5. “So for now I say goodbye to this chapter of my life and I look forward to what comes next.” – Brooke Davis
6. “As long as we loved until our last goodbye, then our love had been whole and true.” – Anonymous
7. “Never say goodbye because goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting.” – J.M. Barrie
8. “Goodbye may seem like forever. Farewell is like the end, but in my heart is the memory and there you will always be.” – Anonymous
9. “Sadly enough, the most painful goodbyes are the ones that are left unsaid and never explained.” – Jonathan Harnisch
Sad Goodbye Quotes That’ll Move You to Tears
10. “Goodbye is the hardest thing to say to someone who means the world to you, especially when goodbye isn’t what you want.” – Anonymous
11. “The two hardest things to say in life are hello for the first time and goodbye for the last.” – Moira Rogers
12. “Oftentimes, we say goodbye to the person we love without wanting to. Though, that doesn’t mean that we’ve stopped loving them or we’ve stopped caring. Sometimes goodbye is a painful way to say, ‘I love you.’” – Anonymous
13. “At some point, you have to realize that some people can stay in your heart but not in your life.” – Anonymous
14. “The only time goodbye is painful is when you know you’ll never say hello again.” – Anonymous
15. “It’s sad, but sometimes moving on with the rest of your life, starts with goodbye.” – Carrie Underwood
16. “I hate the feeling when you have to say goodbye to someone you want to spend every minute with.” – Anonymous
17. “Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul, there is no such thing as separation.” – Rumi
Heartbreaking Goodbye Quotes You Can Say to Someone You Love
18. “There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” – Mahatma Gandhi
19. “Even if we can’t be together in the end, I’m glad that you were a part of my life.” – Anonymous
20. “When I say goodbye, promise me you won’t cry, ’cause the day I’ll be saying that would be the day I die.” – Anonymous
21. “We started here together and now we’re leaving the same way. The funny thing is you never appreciate what you had yesterday until it is gone today.” – Anonymous
22. “It takes a minute to say hello and forever to say goodbye.” – Anonymous
Also read: Broken Heart Quotes
Goodbye Quotes for Him
23. “I wanted to see him again—to say goodbye the way that I wanted. Then I realized if I got my way, I’d never say goodbye.” – Anonymous
24. “The pain of a hard goodbye is the heart’s tribute to the privilege to love.” – Beth Moore
25. “You’ve changed me forever. And I’ll never forget you.” – Kiera Cass
26. “I thought I was stronger than a word, but I just discovered that having to say goodbye to you is by far the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do.” – Colleen Hoover
27. “You had me at hello, goodbye, and everything in between.” – Shannon L. Alder
Goodbye Quotes for Her
28. “Saying goodbye doesn’t mean anything. It’s the time we spent together that matters—not how we left it.” – Trey Parker
29. “This is not a goodbye, my darling, this is a thank you. Thank you for coming into my life and giving me joy, thank you for loving me and receiving my love in return. Thank you for the memories I will cherish forever.” – Nicholas Sparks
30. “No more words. We know them all—all the words that should not be said. But you have made my world more perfect.” – Terry Pratchett
31. “Remember me and smile, for it’s better to forget than to remember me and cry.” – Dr. Seuss
32. “Saying goodbye is the hardest solution to any problem. But sometimes, it’s the only choice we have.” – Anurag Prakash Ray
Goodbye Quotes for Friends
33. “Good friends never say goodbye. They simply say, ‘See you soon.’” – Anonymous
34. “Don’t be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again—after moments or lifetimes—is certain for those who are friends.” – Richard Bach
35. “Our friendship is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Talking to you made me smile and meeting you set me free. I can’t believe that fate is taking you away and ripping us apart. I just want to say that I will miss you from the bottom of my heart. Goodbye my friend, see you soon.” – Anonymous
36. “You and I will meet again when we’re least expecting it. One day, in some far-off place, I will recognize your face. I won’t say goodbye, my friend, for you and I, will meet again.” – Tom Petty
37. “No one knows the exact moment when a friendship is formed, but it is this silent forgotten moment that causes the pain when we must say goodbye.” – Anonymous
Goodbye Quotes for Co-workers
38. “I really don’t want to say goodbye to any of you people.” – Christa McAuliffe
39. “With your resignation, your employment in this company may finish but the sweet memories will always remain.” – Anonymous
40. “Having awesome colleagues is a bad habit because it’ll be impossible to work with someone else now that you’re leaving. Goodbye.” – Anonymous
41. “Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.” – Garrison Keillor
Goodbye Quotes That You Will Relate To
42. “The most painful goodbyes are the ones that are never said and never explained.” – Anonymous
43. “It’s time to say goodbye, but I think goodbyes are sad and I’d much rather say hello. Hello to a new adventure.” – Ernie Harwell
44. “You know it’s love when you have been saying goodbye for how many times but still you’re not ready to leave.” – Anonymous
45. “Goodbyes breed a sort of distaste for whomever you say goodbye to; this hurts, you feel, this must not happen again.” – Anonymous
46. “A man never knows how to say goodbye; a woman never knows when to say it.” – Helen Rowland
47. “Why can’t we get all the people together in the world that we really like and then just stay together? I guess that wouldn’t work. Someone would leave. Someone always leaves. Then we would have to say goodbye. I hate goodbyes. I know what I need. I need more hellos.” – Charles M. Schulz
48. “Parting is such sweet sorrow that I shall say goodnight till it be morrow.” – William Shakespeare
Short Goodbye Quotes
49. “Goodbyes—they often come in waves.” – Jarod Kintz
50. “We started with a simple hello but ended with a complicated goodbye.” – Anonymous
51. “Goodbye always makes my throat hurt.” – Charlie Brown
52. “For every goodbye, God also provides a hello.” – Donna Gable Hatch
53. “I wonder how people say goodbye to someone forever?” – Anonymous
54. “Goodbyes hurt when the story is not finished and the book has been closed.” – Anonymous
55. “Farewell! God knows when we shall meet again.” – William Shakespeare
More Goodbye Quotes for Instagram
56. “Find the ‘good’ in ‘goodbye.’” – Anonymous
57. “It’s not the goodbye that hurts—it’s the flashbacks that follow.” – Anonymous
58. “So long, see you around, but never a final goodbye.” – Fred Flagler
59. “Every goodbye always makes the next hello closer.” – Anonymous
60. “There’s a ‘hell’ in ‘hello,’ ‘good’ in ‘goodbye,’ ‘lie’ in ‘believe,’ ‘over’ in ‘lover,’ ‘end’ in ‘friend,’ and ‘if’ in ‘life.’” – Anonymous
How Hard Is It for You to Move Past a Goodbye?
When we say our goodbyes to someone, it means completely changing our routine or the norm that we’ve gotten used to. It doesn’t matter if they’re just moving to another place, if they’ve passed away, or if your relationship has gone sour. Without them by your side, you may feel that life would never return to the way it was, nor would it have any happiness or color again.
Whether permanent or temporary, goodbyes are always hard—no matter how tough or emotional you are. Saying our farewells stirs up pretty intense and sad emotions within us, and sometimes, it’s just hard to control. But, let’s all remember the famous line that says there can always be good in goodbye because it’s true.
Goodbyes make us look back at good memories and reflect on past experiences. These times will test you, but remember that this is the first step toward moving on and moving forward. As you rise above the challenges that goodbyes bring, you’ll realize that you’ve become stronger, more resilient, and more open.
So, embrace the change that comes with farewells. Take a look back at the good and the bad times and reflect on them. Whenever you feel yourself drowning in sorrow because of a goodbye that just occurred, take out this list and read through the quotes again!
What’s your take on goodbyes and separations? Did this collection stir up some emotions within you? We’d love to hear your thoughts, so comment below!