David Bowie fans will undoubtedly drool over these Labyrinth quotes we’ve compiled, as they’re packed with wisdom and food for thought!
When life gets hard, it’s easy for us to wish for something entirely different. We might even want the people making things hard for us to disappear. However, how would you deal with the consequences if your wishes come true?
In the movie, Sarah learns this the hard way. She’s a 16-year-old girl reading a book titled The Labyrinth. When she finds that her stepbrother is playing with her stuff, she gets annoyed and wishes for the goblins in the book to take him away.
Suddenly, her brother disappears, and Jared, the Goblin King, appears. Sarah immediately regretted her decision and did all she could to save her brother from the hands of Jared.
Through Sarah’s experiences in the Labyrinth, we understand that life isn’t all colors and rainbows, but it doesn’t mean we should run away from it. Most of the time, life isn’t fair, and we must make the most of it. If you want to learn more, read through to the end.
And make sure to read these Grease quotes and Annie quotes.
Best Labyrinth Quotes
1. “Everything I’ve done, I’ve done for you. I move the stars for no one.” – Jareth
2. “I ask for so little. Just fear me. Love me. Do as I say, and I shall be your slave.” – Jareth
3. “It’s further than you think. Time is short.” – Jareth
4. “It’s only forever—not long at all.” – Jareth
5. “Live without your sunlight, love without your heartbeat.” – Jareth
6. “Through dangers untold, and warships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City to take back the child that you have stolen. For my will is as strong as yours, and my kingdom is as great. You have no power over me.” – Sarah Williams
7. Jareth: “You remind me of the babe.”
Goblin: “What babe?”
Jareth: “The babe with the power.”
Goblin: “What power?”
Jareth: “The power of voodoo.”
8. “It’s a crystal, nothing more. But if you turn it this way and look into it, it will show you your dreams. But this is not a gift for an ordinary girl who takes care of a screaming baby.” – Jareth
9. Sarah Williams: “Give me the child.”
Jareth: “Sarah, beware. I have been generous up ’til now. I can be cruel.”
Sarah Williams: “Generous? What have you done that’s generous?”
Jareth: “Everything! Everything that you wanted, I have done. You asked that the child be taken. I took him. You cowered before me; I was frightening. I have reordered time. I have turned the world upside down, and I have done it all for you! I am exhausted from living up to your expectations. Isn’t that generous?”
10. Ludo: “Goodbye, Sarah.”
Sir Didymus: “And remember fair maiden, should you need us—.”
Hoggle: “Yes, should you need us, for any reason at all—.”
Sarah Williams: “I need you, Hoggle.”
Hoggle: “You do?”
Sarah Williams: “I don’t know why, but every now and again in my life—for no reason at all—I need you. All of you.”
Hoggle:: “You do? Well, why didn’t you say so?”
Famous Labyrinth Quotes
11. “Your eyes can be so cruel, just as I can be so cruel.” – Jareth
12. “It’s so stimulating being your hat.” – The Hat
13. “When your thing gets wild, chilly down, chilly down!” – Fiery #1
14. “So, the Labyrinth is a piece of cake, is it? Well, let’s see how you deal with this little slice.” – Jareth
15. “You have 13 hours in which to solve the Labyrinth before your baby brother becomes one of us―forever.” – Jareth
16. Sarah Williams: “It’s not fair.”
Jareth: “You say that so often; I wonder what your basis for comparison is?”
17. “Things are not always what they seem in this place. So you can’t take anything for granted.” – The Worm
18. “If that’s the way it is done, then that’s the way you must do it.” – Sir Didymus
19. “Turn back, Sarah. Turn back before it’s too late.” – Jareth
Labyrinth Quotes That You Won’t Get Out of Your Head
20. Jareth: “And Hoggle, if she ever kisses you, I’ll turn you into a prince.”
Hoggle: “Y—you will?”
Jareth: “Prince of the Land of Stench!”
21. “If I thought that for one second that you would betray me, I would be forced to suspend you, head first, in the Bog of Eternal Stench.” – Jareth
22. Hoggle: “This is what we need. A ladder. Follow me.”
Sarah Williams: “How can I trust you now that you know you were taking me back to the beginning of the Labyrinth?”
Hoggle: “I wasn’t. I told him I was taking you back to the beginning just to throw him off the scent.”
Sarah Williams: “How can I believe anything you say?”
Hoggle: “Let me put it this way: what choice have you got?”
23. Sarah Williams: “You’re him, aren’t you? You’re the Goblin King! I want my brother back, please, if it’s all the same.”
Jareth: “What’s said is said.”
Sarah Williams: “But, I didn’t mean it.”
Jareth: “Oh, you didn’t?”
24. Hoggle: “You have to understand my position. I’m a coward. And Jareth scares me.”
Sarah Williams: “What kind of a position is that?”
Hoggle: “No position! That’s my point.”
25. Sarah Williams: “Okay, let’s handle this thing logically. What exactly have you sworn?”
Sir Didymus: “I have sworn with my life’s blood, none shall pass this way without my permission!”
Sarah Williams: “Well, may we have your permission?”
Sir Didymus: “Well I, uh—I—that is, uh—hm—yes?”
More Labyrinth Quotes to Appreciate
26. Sarah Williams: “Help! Stop it! Help!”
Hand #1: “What do you mean, ‘Help?’ We’re helping hands.”
27. Sarah Williams: “You’re horrible!”
Hoggle: “No, I ain’t. I’m Hoggle.”
28. “She treats me like a wicked stepmother in a fairy story, no matter what I say.” – Irene
29. Hoggle: “What did you have to go and do a thing like that?”
Sarah Williams: “You mean rescue you?”
Hoggle: “No! You kissed me!”
30. “I can bear no longer! Goblin King! Goblin King! Wherever you may be, take this child of mine far away from me!” – Sarah Williams
Have You Ever Felt the Same Way as Sarah Did?
As we all know by now, life isn’t fair. Sometimes, this hard truth will hit us unexpectedly, and we’ll be down on our knees, thinking about what we could do to improve our lives. However, life isn’t something we can dictate; there will be ups and downs, and the only way to be happy is to ride its waves through whatever storm.
Sadly, it’s easier said than done. Most of us would relate to Sarah more, who immediately wished for the source of her annoyance to disappear. This might be the easier route, but is it the correct one?
Instead of trying to escape, let’s face things head-on. Like Sarah, we should learn that if we try to run from our problems, we will soon face regret and possibly even more hurt and struggle.
So, as we’ve understood from Labyrinth, we should accept everything from life. Its ups and downs, twists and turns, and all the zigzags make life exciting!